Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Finally did it !!! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/finally-did-49468/)

mikemollic 07-02-2014 05:46 AM

Finally did it !!!

hey guys i finally ordered my super 44s i got the 2.5 in and out when i take to my locale shop I'm gona have the remake me a new y pipe that will be 2.5 i was wondering if i should do the res to like delete it and just put 2.5 pip there but i have a few questions about that
1 how much louder will it be with the res delete compared to stock
2 how with the drone be with it deleted
3 and will it get raspy with the res gona
Can wait to get these super 44s on

VictoryRedSled 07-02-2014 06:49 AM

i have a friend with an 04 GTP and he got two magnaflows put in and deleted the resonator. The mufflers sound great, and im sure youll have no issues with sound from the Flowmasters. However, he did end up having a new resonator put back in because A) the cabin drone was unbearable, and B)it did make the exhaust raspy. Your SS has the same engine so you may experience the same thing, you may not, trial and error I guess.

The_Maniac 07-02-2014 07:37 AM

I have a zzp plog (front exhaust mani), zzp 2.5 down pipe with high flow cat and res delete. Rest of my exhaust is factory original.
I like the sound personally. I don't find it droning, or too loud. When I had the res deleted I noticed a little more power (not much but there was some gain).
Zero regrets, very happy. It's finished with a nice set of 3.4 magnaflow stainless tips.

03SSLE 07-02-2014 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by mikemollic (Post 620476)
hey guys i finally ordered my super 44s i got the 2.5 in and out when i take to my locale shop I'm gona have the remake me a new y pipe that will be 2.5 i was wondering if i should do the res to like delete it and just put 2.5 pip there but i have a few questions about that
1 how much louder will it be with the res delete compared to stock
2 how with the drone be with it deleted
3 and will it get raspy with the res gona
Can wait to get these super 44s on

how much louder will it be with the res delete compared to stock

Loud enough to attract ever cop within a block radius.

how with the drone be with it deleted

Terrible - especially when cruising.

and will it get raspy with the res gona

Yes

mikemollic 07-02-2014 09:07 AM

Thank you guys for the help I think for now Ill just have the y pipe redone to 2.5 and put as smaller res in at some point and 03sslt think with just that it will be to loud and thank you for your help here and on my other post that should get fixed next week and the exhuast should get put on

The_Maniac 07-02-2014 10:32 AM

I had my res deleted a couple years ago. It's really not much louder then it was with the res and it certainly does not attract any cops.

I know others have mentioned they felt it was raspy or drony. I don't get that from mine, but as I mentioned there are a few other changes with my exhaust other then just the res delete.

The biggest thing the res does is change the tone of the exhaust and add a restriction to your exhaust.

03SSLE 07-02-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 620480)
I have a zzp plog (front exhaust mani), zzp 2.5 down pipe with high flow cat and res delete. Rest of my exhaust is factory original.
I like the sound personally. I don't find it droning, or too loud. When I had the res deleted I noticed a little more power (not much but there was some gain).
Zero regrets, very happy. It's finished with a nice set of 3.4 magnaflow stainless tips.

This is why you may not experience drone or a loud exhaust. The OP is talking about installing Super 44 mufflers. No resonator + Super 44 mufflers = LOUD and DRONE. Take a look around the forum at all the posts of people regretting removal of the resonator in addition to installing 'turbo' style mufflers.

The_Maniac 07-02-2014 01:36 PM

Ahhh good call. I missed that part about the after market mufflers (I focused on the res delete, my bad).
That being said, I agree In an aftermarket muffler setup all bets are off. Some may be fine with out a res and others may benefit greatly by having the res.

Habbibie 07-02-2014 04:39 PM

Well I've had my dual super 44s w/ res delete on for two years now
It's not that loud actually, not as loud as I was especting upon installation but now they're actually much louder than when I got them installed.
The interior drone is horrible at low rpm crusing, at mid range 2000-3500rpm it sounds great from inside and anything over that you'll hear your engine louder than your exhaust.
Mine isn't raspy in my opinion.
Never been bothered by the police either regarding the noise which I repeat it really isn't that loud it's more settle than you might think.

xxtheshockerxx 07-05-2014 12:47 PM

I would keep the res for awhile and delete later on if you want a little more sound/tone