Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Exhaust thoughts/advise (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/exhaust-thoughts-advise-52165/)

Brandon Reid 02-23-2015 02:24 PM

Exhaust thoughts/advise

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I don't post often but I lurk quite a bit and there are so many of you with gorgeous montes! I have a 2001 pace car that I have owned for almost 6 years now, I got her right before I turned 16. After putting over 50k miles on her, the exhaust system started rotting out and she wont pass inspection come spring (I don't drive her in the winter). My father is a mechanic and after speaking with him he agreed to help me install the exhaust system come spring. He said he needs everything a new cat, mufflers pretty much everything. So I have been doing some research, I found a highflo cat and downpipe, and a catback system:

Hogan Performance W-Body 3" Stainless Steel Downpipe with Hi Flow Catalytic Converter: 3800 Performance
ZZPerformance - ZZP Monte Carlo Catback #ZZ-MCCB

I would have to go with the 3 inch system which is fine. I don't want it to be overly loud but I want to hear her when I rev it. So I guess I am just wondering if this combination will work, or anything you would change? My father is allowed to use the shop on the weekend so we should have any necessary tools and a lift etc.

Thanks for any help or advise, and here are some pictures of the car taken last year.

Attachment 36573
Attachment 36574
Attachment 36575
Attachment 36576

P343 02-23-2015 03:52 PM

That is a beautiful Monte you have there!!! :)

ChibiBlackSheep 02-23-2015 04:14 PM

I would recommend doing the 2.5 system and getting a 2.5" ZZP Downpipe as well.

3" is just too large for an NA car.

I have not heard the ZZP cat-back in person, but it looks very nice.

ohara 02-23-2015 07:42 PM

Nice looking ride :)

I agree with Chibi, the 2.5 system is better for the non supercharged version. I have the high flow zzp downpipe, and love it, but I don't have the cat back so can't comment on that part of it

turbo monte 02-23-2015 10:21 PM

I third a 2.5" exhaust is a better option for a N/A car. Only reason to go 3" is if you plan on a huge sc or turbo build soon.

Also keep in mind some high flow cats will trip the check engine light and then you would need a o2 simulator or have the code tuned out of your pcm.

claydoh 02-25-2015 12:18 AM

Beautiful car you have there!! : )

Brandon Reid 03-02-2015 10:58 AM

Thanks all! :)

So what I am looking towards now is doing the ZZP downpipe with cat, 2.5inch and the ZZP monte carlo catback system. I emailed ZZP over whether the catback fits in the rear diffuser that comes with the pace cars or not. This will determine whether I go with the catback system or look elsewhere. I am also looking into o2 simulators as mentioned by turbo monte. I may hold off until after everything is installed to see if the code pops immediately or not and if not I will probably hold off until next years inspection since it doesn't bother me if the engine light is on or not. So here my list so far:

ZZPerformance - ZZP Monte Carlo Catback #ZZ-MCCB

ZZPerformance - ZZP Downpipes #ZZ-GPDP

and the o2 sim:

O2 Simulator & Tester GM 4 Wire (General Motors 1996-2003)

ChibiBlackSheep 03-02-2015 11:05 AM

Could also be worth looking into just getting a basic tune on the PCM too. Remove the P0420 code all together, as well as firm up shift points, add timing, etc. Then there is no need to bother with an emulator.

Some people have had luck just using a spacer for the oxygen sensor also instead of spending over $40 on something.

Brandon Reid 03-02-2015 11:20 AM

Interesting, it looks like wbodystore can do it for just a little over $100 more than the simulator, might as well go that route.

3800 PCM | 3800 Performance PCM | Performance PCM | Powertrain Performance

ChibiBlackSheep 03-02-2015 11:30 AM

ZZP can do the same for you as well.

Also Will at Overkill is a great guy to work with and does some of the best tuning. (www.getoverkilled.ca)