Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Exhaust Question (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/exhaust-question-11005/)

06 Monte LT 10-25-2008 11:38 AM

Exhaust Question

Can I void my Warranty by doing a U- bed delete, and resonator delete on my exhaust?

Cowboy6622 10-25-2008 03:16 PM

RE: Exhaust Question

no, you can't, because the 06 has no u-bend to delete :)

GPD has a picture of what the bottom of your car looks like.. there is no u-bend in it.

this is what the u-bend looks like though. a look under your car will find no such thing

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e.../ubendside.jpg

happy riding!!

04 Intimidator 10-27-2008 04:59 PM

And no to the resonator delete as well. Go for it but remember you will have drone in the car and it really won't make that much more power with the resonator gone.

JD87SS 10-30-2008 04:06 PM

Well Thrasher says its good for 6 H.P. which I can totally believe.

http://www.thrashercharged.com/tech_htm/exhaust.shtm

And there is no magical drone created by the lack of one.

Drone is created by the pipes and muffler types.
The resonator is there to make the system whisper quiet, nothing else.

Its worth much more than a U-bend delete, which the OP doesn't have.
If the U-bend delete was such a big deal Thrasher would have finished that tech article instead of leaving it missing.
Bet they found out it wasn't worth 1 H.P., thus leaving it alone and leaving it up to ones imagination and forum type postings saying otherwise and selling, selling, selling based upon those things.

God_Bot 10-30-2008 05:04 PM

The cat should be the only thing that you can't mess with in your exhaust unless you do it yourself, but you'd have to put it back in everytime you went to have work done.

04 Intimidator 10-30-2008 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: JD87SS

Well Thrasher says its good for 6 H.P. which I can totally believe.

http://www.thrashercharged.com/tech_htm/exhaust.shtm

And there is no magical drone created by the lack of one.

Drone is created by the pipes and muffler types.
The resonator is there to make the system whisper quiet, nothing else.

Its worth much more than a U-bend delete, which the OP doesn't have.
If the U-bend delete was such a big deal Thrasher would have finished that tech article instead of leaving it missing.
Bet they found out it wasn't worth 1 H.P., thus leaving it alone and leaving it up to ones imagination and forum type postings saying otherwise and selling, selling, selling based upon those things.

I needed to edit my post because it was to harsh for my liking.

I used a my db meter to test before and after with the resonator and when I pulled the resonator the volume went up 4 db and you could hear an annoying buzz. When I put the resonator back on everything was happy again.

Their testing also was removing the muffler completely, not replacing it with an aftermarket one. I'm pretty sure it was ZZP that ran a dyno test and found that the exhaust is good up to 300hp. Then it starts to sap your gains.

When I put my CAI on I noticed the jump in power. When I put the Dynomax on I didn't notice anything. When I pulled the U-bend and put the downpipe in I noticed that as well.

Now to keep it real I just might not have noticed it, maybe it was my imagination or something. (NOT being sarcastic)

They also quoted on their sight: We realize our tests are not totally scientific, and they were not meant to be. Our goal is to obtain a ballpark estimate which, as the saying goes, is "good enough for government work."

Off topic but related:

What I would like to see done is a car modded using a stock PCM and just dyno direct bolt on replacements one at a time.

I say stock because alot of time the advertising agencies will use "not so stock" options. EG: Putting in a new XYZ brand air filter will give you 15 more HP and increase milage by 2 MPG. yeah when you consider the old filter was full of dirt and not changed for 100,000 miles any new filter will be an improvement.

JD87SS 10-30-2008 05:52 PM

[/quote]

Off topic but related:

What I would like to see done is a car modded using a stock PCM and just dyno direct bolt on replacements one at a time.

I say stock because alot of time the advertising agencies will use "not so stock" options. EG: Putting in a new XYZ brand air filter will give you 15 more HP and increase milage by 2 MPG. yeah when you consider the old filter was full of dirt and not changed for 100,000 miles any new filter will be an improvement.

[/quote]

I did that before with the 4.3's and found most of the aftermarket was full of it.
I do not trust a chassis dyno one iota and never will.
We did a test on a chassis dyno when a buddy of mine had one.
Leaving out data input changes because we didn't lie with it, we learned quite a few things.
Tire width changes can add up and over 10 H.P.
Strapping it down lose versus tight can also do a 10 H.P. change.
So you hear so much about weather type conditions, data input being major concerns, it really isn't as bad as one is lead to believe, its other factors I just stated where we saw scary differences.
Unless is kept on the dyno before, during and after the mod, I question the whole ideal.

Right now I'm data logging like I did with the 4.3's on my 04.
If any mod is worth its weight, it'll show up clearer data logging.
Right now a intake, filter only begins to rear its head for gains at 4200.
The resonator to which I had the large one, is showing throughout the whole RPM range and actually I caught the ECM readjusting its idle speed when I first did it.
I drive all the time without listening to a radio, always have, always will and while I do now hear the exhaust, its no where near the change a cat back as far as any interior noises of any kind. The IAC under cold start is the most annoying sound these cars make.

bumpin96monte 11-01-2008 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator
Off topic but related:

I agree- I know there are a lot of variables from one car to the next, but it would be cool to get exact dyno #s, and charts for each mod done. With how thorough the information posted on many mods that come out- I bet they do do a test like this on practically every product they make.

I drive all the time without listening to a radio, always have, always will and while I do now hear the exhaust, its no where near the change a cat back as far as any interior noises of any kind.
I dunno how the montes are, but on my gp- I kinda regret getting rid of my res once I started highway driving- it increased the sound level at a specific, deeper, irritating frequency. Overally volume of the exhaust is still pretty quiet due to the otherwise stock catback, but after an hour on the highway, it did get a bit irritating.

The IAC under cold start is the most annoying sound these cars make.
GM's Hoover FTW, lol. That sound has kinda grown on me for some reason- I hated it too when I first did it. Regardless, I wouldn't go back b/c of the blower whine alone.