Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust leak from cat / resonator

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Exhaust leak from cat / resonator

Hey guys, I've got an exhaust leak in the car/resonator part of my exhaust. I bought brand new gasket and it still has a leak. Anyone else run into this ? Just annoying. Thanks.

Any "Backyard fixes" ?

Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check all around the resonator, top to bottom front to rear. My understanding is that they rust in spots you can't see by just looking under the car. Just like the muffler and Cat. If gasket was bad then moisture could have gotten into the resonator and started rising it from the inside.
And check back on this post. I know there are members who can help with more details. Good Luck!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There's a heat shield on the top of the resonator that likes to trap water and allow it to rust

Old 08-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Chibi, I wasn't sure if the heat shield was on the top or bottom cause my car ain't got one and I never had any problems with the exhaust on my 5th Gen. The heat shield is what I was trying to lead to But I didn't want ti give out wrong info.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Yeah, the factory res is garbage as far as holding up over time. My Monte had the seem on it rot away. The wife's Impala is doing the same thing. I need the res deleted on it, but it's really not that loud right now, so I've left it alone.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Check all around the resonator, top to bottom front to rear. My understanding is that they rust in spots you can't see by just looking under the car. Just like the muffler and Cat. If gasket was bad then moisture could have gotten into the resonator and started rising it from the inside.
And check back on this post. I know there are members who can help with more details. Good Luck!
The resonator is a new one, just installed it 6 moths ago.. The exhaust was perfect until I had a local shop install (weld) a new cat on, since then , I've had this exhaust leak and it's just bugging the hell out of me and sounds awful. I thank you for your help.. Michael...

Old 08-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

If the flange bolts aren't equally torqued it can cause it to warp. I'd check both flange surfaces to insure they are flat and have no debris left from previous gaskets. Prior to assembly apply a bead of High Temp Copper sealer to both flanges, then torque to 24 ft lb.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

If this all started after having a new cat welded in, I wonder if that's where the issue is (leak in the weld)....

Old 08-12-2013, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If the flange bolts aren't equally torqued it can cause it to warp. I'd check both flange surfaces to insure they are flat and have no debris left from previous gaskets. Prior to assembly apply a bead of High Temp Copper sealer to both flanges, then torque to 24 ft lb.
Thanks for the input... Ill give it a shot.. If it still leaks ill weld it myself. Just bought a Lincon Mig Welder, to bad I didn't have it when the cat was installed..lol... Pulled the exhaust today... Ill let yak now... Thanks again..mjclemm...

Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
If this all started after having a new cat welded in, I wonder if that's where the issue is (leak in the weld)....
The cat weld is darn near perfect, I used smoke from a Incense and it was coming out of the resonator / Cat flange. I used a brand new gasket and it still wants to leak (a tiny bit) but still leaks.. So, I'm gonna use a doughnut semi metallic gasket where the flange meets. Then I'm gonna try and weld all the way around the flange, if it leaks after that.. Well.... MIDAS !....lol... Thanks for the input... Mjclemm..

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak from cat / resonator