Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Exhaust Cutout with Cherry Bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 11:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is also how my cutout is mounted. (same as zippy) keep in mind that's also a 3.5" down pipe and 3.5" cutout

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Cutout with Cherry Bomb?-received_2077899992234587.jpeg  
Old 10-08-2017, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
The sole purpose of a resonator is to help eliminate rasp. If you don't like the rasp then weld back in the resonator and call the project done and forget about being louder unless you find a shop that's more knowledgeable on how to weld in a cutout. As already stated you need to weld a flange to the downpipe at the bend, no u iversal you gonna work.

I am also not sure what brand you bought from summit but I know qtp makes a wonderful product and also sell low profile ones
I got this one from summit. I don't know how it compares size wise to qtp's cutouts, but those low profile ones sound like they might fit better with such limited space.

Originally Posted by turbo monte
This is also how my cutout is mounted. (same as zippy) keep in mind that's also a 3.5" down pipe and 3.5" cutout
Did you have to take the downpipe out to do it or was there enough room to get in there and do it on the car

Old 10-08-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Keudn
Did you have to take the downpipe out to do it or was there enough room to get in there and do it on the car
IMO there's no reason to bother trying to weld the flange on in the car. It's literally 4 bolts to take out a downpipe. Sure it's possible, but it's so much easier to make sure you get a good weld if you just mark it on the car then pull it off to do the final welding.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
IMO there's no reason to bother trying to weld the flange on in the car. It's literally 4 bolts to take out a downpipe. Sure it's possible, but it's so much easier to make sure you get a good weld if you just mark it on the car then pull it off to do the final welding.
My downpipe is welded to the catback because I had to cut the end off to go from the 3 inch downpipe to the 2.5 inch catback. The clamp on the rear manifold side is awful to get to not leak also. I am probably going to postpone the cutout and put a 12 inch glasspack in where the resonator was and see if that helps with rasp any.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Only way to properly weld it is off the car

Old 10-08-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Keudn
My downpipe is welded to the catback because I had to cut the end off to go from the 3 inch downpipe to the 2.5 inch catback. The clamp on the rear manifold side is awful to get to not leak also. I am probably going to postpone the cutout and put a 12 inch glasspack in where the resonator was and see if that helps with rasp any.
Sounds like that would make it even easier if it's just 1 connection to remove the whole exhaust, especially at a shop with a lift. Then they can worry about getting it to seal. Maybe they'll even have a better fix to get it to seal when they do.

For ease of future maintenance on your end later, just have them weld on a new flange while they've got it cut open again for the glasspack. It's super simple to do.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-08-2017 at 06:55 PM.