Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Exhaust Cutout? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/exhaust-cutout-21816/)

red04montels 07-04-2010 05:00 PM

Exhaust Cutout?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Summi...#ht_3280wt_897

found one on jcwhitney and then one on ebay looks about the same quality, what do you guys think about it?

mrl390 07-04-2010 06:51 PM

What for? It wont make your car run any better and they sound terrible on a V6. Just asking.

red04montels 07-04-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by mrl390 (Post 243010)
What for? It wont make your car run any better and they sound terrible on a V6. Just asking.

i think they sound ok at idle but crap when accelerating? wont it help with some power also with the less restriction.

mrl390 07-04-2010 08:23 PM

I think it might help a little while racing if you had some work done, but with a stock or close to stock engine I cant imagine it doing much if anything. If you planned on using it on the street every once in a while, then all it would really do is annoy the hell out of you and everyone else while you are driving. Hell tho put it in if you want and if you end up not using it, just cap it.

bumpin96monte 07-05-2010 12:08 AM

found one on jcwhitney and then one on ebay looks about the same quality, what do you guys think about it?
Get an electric DMH cutout for the end of it, and it would be even better, lol.

wont it help with some power also with the less restriction

Virtually nothing- I ran mine open and closed on my GXP at the track, and my 1/4 times were the same, MPH went up just a very small pinch with it open. Only cars I've seen have very noticeable gains are usually turbo cars.

Honestly, if you're looking for better track times, you're better off just dropping the whole catback- so you get a tiny power gain, plus lose all that weight.

I like the electric cutout add on because I can change it whenever I want, and open it any amount I want. Kinda fun to play with.

red04montels 07-05-2010 12:36 AM

maybe ill think later when i have money for electric haha i just thought it would be something cool to do with my exhaust when i get that done

bumpin96monte 07-05-2010 10:06 AM

The nice thing is, if you have that cutout installed now- any of the electric cutouts will bolt right in place of that cap.

Enzo354 07-05-2010 10:38 AM

Even if it isnt faster it will feel faster and scare the hell out of whatever girl is in the passenger seat.

red04montels 07-05-2010 11:12 AM

lol so if i just get the one that i posted with the cap on, i can add an electric later?

and where would be the best place to put this? i hear after the cat but not completely sure on that.

red04montels 07-05-2010 11:21 AM

also can this be more restriction because there is that little bit of piping that the air can go into?

bumpin96monte 07-06-2010 09:27 PM

lol so if i just get the one that i posted with the cap on, i can add an electric later?

and where would be the best place to put this? i hear after the cat but not completely sure on that.
Yes- it just bolts on to a standard 3 bolt flange (they give you longer bolts too).

Where you put it is up to you- some remove the resonator and put it in place of that, some people put it back by the Y. Or you could put it up on the downpipe in front of the cat- but that's illegal; emissions people won't pass it if they happen to look under the car; and you could be fined if police check and see you driving with it open.

also can this be more restriction because there is that little bit of piping that the air can go into?
Not really, its kinda like a pickup truck bed, once you get a little air trapped in there- very little will go in- its not like its going to constantly be flowing all the way to the cap, and trying to flow back out into the exhaust stream.

red04montels 07-07-2010 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 243624)
Yes- it just bolts on to a standard 3 bolt flange (they give you longer bolts too).

Where you put it is up to you- some remove the resonator and put it in place of that, some people put it back by the Y. Or you could put it up on the downpipe in front of the cat- but that's illegal; emissions people won't pass it if they happen to look under the car; and you could be fined if police check and see you driving with it open.

Not really, its kinda like a pickup truck bed, once you get a little air trapped in there- very little will go in- its not like its going to constantly be flowing all the way to the cap, and trying to flow back out into the exhaust stream.

awesome, thanks man, ill probably put it before the y pipe or before the resonator, with the sound be different depending on where i put it?

JOETHEPRO 07-08-2010 02:48 AM

i am selling a premade setup for your monte all parts already welded in just bolt up and wire and ur ready to go. it is a stock downpipe with the y pipe welded in so u wont lose your stock set up. Its a stealthy addition that will let me know if ur interested. i have it posted on craigslist in las vegas. i will put up a link soon. I never had any problems with emissions or the police even when i was pulled over with it open. I have experience with the cutout its loud at idle and when u jump on the throttle can sputter at wot but thats really only when ur at the track. i only built it to sell it. i like to fabricate things :). get back to me we can work something out....

red04montels 07-08-2010 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JOETHEPRO (Post 244003)
i am selling a premade setup for your monte all parts already welded in just bolt up and wire and ur ready to go. it is a stock downpipe with the y pipe welded in so u wont lose your stock set up. Its a stealthy addition that will let me know if ur interested. i have it posted on craigslist in las vegas. i will put up a link soon. I never had any problems with emissions or the police even when i was pulled over with it open. I have experience with the cutout its loud at idle and when u jump on the throttle can sputter at wot but thats really only when ur at the track. i only built it to sell it. i like to fabricate things :). get back to me we can work something out....

mines the ls tho, so from what i understand it wouldnt work? but if it would do you have pics and how much?

wht02monte 07-08-2010 04:01 PM

I wanna jump in real quick and say a little somthing. Somthing you can do (if you're not gonna have duels) You can put the cutout right at the front of the downpipe and run a pipe to the back where you're gonna put a different muffler (maybe a louder one) and you can have two different sounds when you want. Like have the stock muffler in all the stock exhaust, the have a straightt through muffler for when you wanna be loud?? Just an option for you to think about?

bumpin96monte 07-08-2010 07:05 PM

ill probably put it before the y pipe or before the resonator, with the sound be different depending on where i put it?
Yes, it does sound different depending where its at. I will also say, if you have it venting anywhere under the passenger compartment, it will sound much louder inside and vibrate crap inside a lot more. My GXP has it in place of the resonator, and it rattles stuff like crazy inside. If you put it at the back, you probably wouldn't have as much of an issue.

I never had any problems with emissions or the police even when i was pulled over with it open.
You do realize that if you are bypassing the cat, that it is illegal- and if anyone ever checks, I bet you can be fined.

Also, same goes with selling parts made to bypass the cat on street cars- you can get fined for that also unless your wording is specific (ie look how much of a fine exhaust shops can get for bypassing your cat).

You can put the cutout right at the front of the downpipe and run a pipe to the back where you're gonna put a different muffler (maybe a louder one) and you can have two different sounds when you want.
Honestly, even with just the cutout, you can vary the noise level a good bit. IE- you can just barely crack it open, open it halfway, or all the way, etc. On mine, anything under about 25% open sounds like poop because the air rushing out sounds like an exhaust leak- but even 50% is just about as loud as an aftermarket catback, and not nearly as loud as full open. The nice thing is, once you have the cutout, you can still add that stuff later if you want.

red04montels 07-08-2010 10:54 PM

do you think there will be a big difference in sound without a resonator?

JOETHEPRO 07-09-2010 02:19 AM

im not sure if the downpipe is the same but here is the link if u find out let me know
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/1831503816.html

bumpin96monte 07-09-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 244446)
do you think there will be a big difference in sound without a resonator?

I have deleted the resonator on my GXP (to put the cutout there), and on my old GTP. On both, you could barely tell a sound difference the first startup- and after that, I couldn't tell anymore. The exhaust note is a pinch different though, a bit more raspy- but if you still keep the stock mufflers out back, you won't notice a ton of difference.

red04montels 07-09-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by JOETHEPRO (Post 244477)
im not sure if the downpipe is the same but here is the link if u find out let me know
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/1831503816.html

want to sell just the electric part of it?

ill probably just keep the resonator then, i was looking for maybe a tad bit deeper tone, not so much rasp, i guess ill have to see how it all plays out tho

JOETHEPRO 07-09-2010 11:20 PM

yeah i would sell the electric set up the cut out and the controller email me at joethepro80@yahoo.com