Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/exhaust-9638/)

Jiggly 05-28-2008 10:43 PM

Exhaust

hey guys,

i was looking into buying a new Exhaust system for the monte, i was considering flowmaser but then i went to autozone to pick up some oil 2 do an oil change and i noticed glass packs there, so i went home and did some research on them, its kind of 50/50 with people eather u like them or you dont. but i herd alot of cars with them they sound realy nice, but i dont want that ricer b/s would cherrybomb give me that ricer fart can sound? if they do can you point me in a cheaper direction.. my pockets are kinda tight but i need this sound for the summer time and the ladies :D

P.S.- I have the 2002 Monte Carlo SS 3800 series II V6

Thanks again,
Jiggly

Cowboy6622 05-29-2008 06:29 AM

RE: Exhaust

the fart cans are like 10" in diameter with 4" outlets, glaspack is different.

fortunatly for you, i have a single glasspack mounted a few inches dwon from my catlytic converter and straight pipes from there out. i lvoe the sound... VERY loud, even inside. You can hear it idle from 50' away.

heres the link for the sound... sorry for the very poor quality sound equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq19vwlx4ss

Cowboy6622 05-29-2008 06:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzRFQTflUQ

this is more like what my car sounds like. my glasspack came with the dynomax cat back... good if you want a system that is just barelly audible and so low you can rev up at people adn they not even hear you. the system comes with a glasspack in the middle of hte car where the resonator goes and two big muflfers where the stock mufflers go... i had the system put on and about 6 months later i had the back mufflers cut off. get the u bend delete (see the General Monte Carlo section for a thread pinned titled "FAQ: Exhaust and CAI" to learn more).

wiz kidd 05-29-2008 07:19 AM

this is just my opinion, on a 6 cyl i would do magnaflow's, i've never been a fan of cherry bombs, dont like the sound of them really, even on v8's

flowmasters' dont really have the best sound for a 6 cyl, yes they sound good, but not as good as a magnaflow (polished stainless straight through muffler)

this is just my opinion though, but i think magnaflow would be the way to go, you could keep your dual system thats already on there and have your mufflers cut out @ the back and have the 2 magnaflows put on back there (you'll get less droan with the mufflers @ the back) also get rid of your resonator and u bend

bumpin96monte 05-29-2008 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Jiggly
i dont want that ricer b/s would cherrybomb give me that ricer fart can sound? if they do can you point me in a cheaper direction.. my pockets are kinda tight but i need this sound for the summer time and the ladies
IMO, if your money is tight, then save it instead of spending it on the car. If you're gonna do exhaust, get only stainless steel- anything else will rust out. If you want the glasspack sound, they do make several stainless glasspacks. I had a cherrybomb as my only muffler on my 3100 and it only lasted about 2-3 years. Do it right and get all stainless piping and mufflers and you won't have to redo it later.

i lvoe the sound... VERY loud, even inside. You can hear it idle from 50' away.
Honestlysome people think a 15/16 second car that you can hear from 50' away at idle is ricey too. A crazy loud setup isn't always the best. I used to be kinda embarassed driving around with my high 16 second 3100 with the cherry bomb, it was very loud driving and balls slow.

this is just my opinion though, but i think magnaflow would be the way to go
I have a single straight through magnaflow on my 3800 monte, and I hate the sound. I bought it because I was running open DP after the swap and just wanted the quietest non-stock muffler they had (we tried about 4 or 5). Granted my engine/exhaust setup on my monte is pretty different than most on here, but I'll be glad to get rid of my magnaflow.

03SS 05-29-2008 10:44 AM

I just had my exhaust done with a glasspack and 2.5 inch piping and I love the sound.

Jiggly 05-29-2008 11:34 PM

Thanks guys i appricate the help ill put up some vid's when i make up my mind

Thanks again,
Jiggly

04MonteLS 05-30-2008 08:32 PM

Not a fan of glasspacks on 6cyl's, I have DynoMax setup on mine and I love the sound, and if I didn't have DynoMax I'd have MagnaFlows

scc24540 05-30-2008 09:01 PM

i have a maggie high flow cat, flow super 44 and id not change it for all the gold in china

Submariner 05-31-2008 09:17 AM

Start out with the u-bend delete and have them remove the resonator.I did that and the Monte is louder outside but not much louder inside.It won't cost much and you will notice a difference. If you can have them put a stainless pipe in place of the resonator (Make sure the welds are also stainless). I didn't but only because no one in my areahad any stainless pipe (I checked with Midas, Mineki and all the other exhaust shops). Then save up the cash and when you can afford it you can replace the rest of the system and all you will be out is the cost of the resonator removal (30 or 40 bucks).