Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Header bolts..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Header bolts..

So can someone link me to a set of bolts for my headers that are not 6 point, or rather not "hex" or whatever its called..

I wanna use an allen wrench or something.. Something that if I had to get in there right now, it wouldnt be a problem.. Idk, what do you guys with headers use??

Old 05-04-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I wanna use an allen wrench or something.. Something that if I had to get in there right now, it wouldnt be a problem.. Idk, what do you guys with headers use??
Stock bolts here with no issues. What issue are you having?

Old 05-04-2018, 07:09 PM

Try a local store like Fasten All if there's one in your area they can get you hooked up or I have had good luck at home depot when looking for bolts when I was fixing my Fiero.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Stock bolts here with no issues. What issue are you having?
Two things..

They keep coming loose.. I was prepared to tighten them every once in a while during the first month or so but its long past that and they just keep coming loose..

And second, theyre ugly..

I guess I could just bring one into the store and ask for "this size" huh??

Old 05-05-2018, 07:22 AM

INTENSE Racing: Stage 8 Locking Header Bolt Kit for 3800 Series II/III these are a bit expensive but what your looking for and have a lock to prevent them from backing off. Did a google search and found a bunch of different styles.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Two things..

They keep coming loose.. I was prepared to tighten them every once in a while during the first month or so but its long past that and they just keep coming loose..

And second, theyre ugly..

I guess I could just bring one into the store and ask for "this size" huh??
Depends what you're more concerned about - looks or ensuring they don't back out.

If looks are more important, ARP does make some nice stainless bolts. Also, like you said, you can go to a Fastenal or something and pick up pretty bolts with various head types. However that's not going to help the backing out problem unless your stock bolts are really worn out.

If your want something with a lock feature, Stage 8 does have bolts with the lock tabs and clips for the 3800. You could also buy drilled bolts for aerospace and safety wire them together. These will ensure the bolts can't back out, but they look busy and awful.

I guess I'm suprsied you're having issues with stock bolts backing out though, are they torqued to spec? What gasket are you running (I'm wondering if it's shrinking and losing tension)? Do your headers have thicker flanges than stock manifolds (thinking less thread engagement / less friction to keep them from backing out)?

Old 05-06-2018, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member

Yea, thats what it is.. Flange is much thicker.. I ordered the ones jeffs recommended tho.. Lets hope for the best.. I think this is my other issue also.. The other day when I tightened them, instantly got better power and my timing is back up.. Fuel mileage seems much better also..

Funny thing is, never heard and ticking or anything.. Just a slight whistle that I thought was the intake..