Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Dual Exhaust Advice Needed (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/dual-exhaust-advice-needed-36725/)

callie100 05-29-2012 05:49 PM

Dual Exhaust Advice Needed

Hi All,

I was wanting to put dual exhaust on my 1987 LS like the kind that is stock on the SS's. I want it to still run quiet though. I was told to use truck mufflers and go with imitation Flow Masters...I was also told since I eventually want to get headers (chrome) that those must be done first. I was referred to Midas to have the work done but whenever I went to Midas in the past for work, they were expensive! Need some good advise, as I don't know which way to go now! :confused:

Thank you!!!!!!

zjerry 05-29-2012 06:20 PM

I think you should go to a local independent muffler shop, I went to a local
shop with my 1940 chevy they installed from headers back 2 pipes 2 flow masters an pipes out the side for $ 180 ..:rotfl: Big name shops sometimes cost $ ..

SupplySgt 05-29-2012 06:35 PM

Whitty's Muffler in Glasgow has always done my exhaust. They're good and they're reasonable on price. I'd wait till I have the headers and do it all at once though cause the exit for the headers and manifolds are in two completely different places.

03SSLE 05-29-2012 07:02 PM

If you want quiet go with a muffler like the Walker QuietFlow. Place them are far back under the vehicle as possible and follow them up with full length tail pipes (not turndowns right after the mufflers) that exist the rear of the vehicle. Install an H or X pipe 12" - 18" behind the collectors.

Originally Posted by SupplySgt (Post 462664)
I'd wait till I have the headers and do it all at once though cause the exit for the headers and manifolds are in two completely different places.

^ Good idea ^
If you install the exhaust system now with stock manifolds it will require additional work later when you install headers.

03JGMonte 05-29-2012 08:17 PM

Yup deff wait till after the headers, & locally owend shops are the best way to go to get exhaust work done, i had mid pipes made for my GTO & it only cost me $20

callie100 05-30-2012 07:48 PM

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I think I will do a little of what everyone says! The Walker QuietFlow sounds like what I'm looking for and Whitty's sounds perfect, the Monte is actually sitting at Greer's Auto tonight in Glasgow as they are fixing the AC (I've learned not to use the garages in Scottsville...)...no more driving a sauna on wheels! Yay! Now I just have to pick out a pair of headers...I know I want chrome that won't tarnish but that is the extent of my knowledge about headers...

03SSLE 05-30-2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by callie100 (Post 462988)
Now I just have to pick out a pair of headers...I know I want chrome that won't tarnish but that is the extent of my knowledge about headers...

You may want to reconsider. I have yet to see a set of chrome headers that didn't 'blue' from the heat. A set of ceramic coated headers (maybe silver) would be a better choice. They'll be easier to keep clean, and more importantly they will keep the heat inside the pipe and reduce underhood temp compared to a set of chrome or painted headers. ;)

TheMonteMan 05-31-2012 06:48 AM

yeah id run a ceramic coated header. i wouldnt go chrome not because the blueing, but because of rusting. you could pick out any header you want and get them jethot coated or get a set all ready coated.

SupplySgt 05-31-2012 07:02 AM

If the old guy is still doing exhaust at Witty's (can't remember his name), he makes works of art out of exhausts. Good luck on the headers. I have yet to put headers on anything (although my truck may be getting them once the TPI swap is done) so I don't know much about them.

callie100 06-02-2012 02:05 PM

Hi, the ceramic coated definately sounds the way to go. I'm glad I brought that up before I bought them, because I have been looking from time to time on Ebay. I think I'll wait a couple months to save up the money to do it right. Witty's sounds like the place to go for sure, thank you for all your help everyone!! : )