Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Does anyone run Magnaflow high flow catalytic converters? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/does-anyone-run-magnaflow-high-flow-catalytic-converters-33386/)

codell17 01-14-2012 03:07 AM

Does anyone run Magnaflow high flow catalytic converters?

Just wondering if anyone ran Magnaflow or any other aftermarket cats? Does it increase performance any? Run better? Change in exhaust note?

JuniorCar 01-14-2012 05:36 AM

I run a universal 3" Magnaflow - but its totally custom exhaust. The direct fit Magnaflow converter for the 3800 is the most restrictive converter I've ever seen for these things. I ordered one in for mine before I built the exhaust and was happy I got to see it before it was installed. It uses a ball-socket style flex pipe that has an inside diameter of less than 2 inches. This thing would have been more restrictive then the stock cat with the u-bend. I sent it back

03JGMonte 01-14-2012 07:36 AM

Ive got a universal hi flow cat from them, have yet to install it too lazy :rotfl:

ZIPPY02 01-14-2012 07:43 AM

My engine builder selected a High Flow Magnaflow Metallic Cat Converter. Initially a Magnaflow Ceramic Cat was used but we literally melted the honeycomb screen from the extremely high exhaust temps within 500 miles. The Magnaflow Metallic converter is more able to withstand abusive hot exhaust gasses and is heavily loaded with precious metals allowing it to more rapidly process the exhaust gasses, insuring high performance cars are able to pass emissions standards. Not for sale in California however. Engine performance is not as restricted as a stock flow converter tend to do, yet stock converters are just fine for normally run stock engines. So Metallic converters are better than Ceramic converters as far as durability.

BlackRainSS 01-14-2012 09:08 AM

In personal opinion is the Magnaflow the best?

AwesomeSS 01-14-2012 10:53 AM

My ZZP downpipe came with a high flow magnaflow cat. I have a 2.5 exhaust it's bolted up to. IMO I'm getting good gas mileage for city driving.

Zen 01-14-2012 01:04 PM

I got A magnsflow cat on my dakota fit was perfect an has performed good

Crusader SS 01-14-2012 02:58 PM

I run the Magnaflow Cat without my Resonator and a u-bend delete with Magnaflow mufflers... I did notice a small gain in performance and the exhaust did get a little louder... I did my exhaust about 1 1/2 yrs ago, I've noticed that it is getting a little raspy over time:(, not a big deal, but I am contemplating putting a shorter resonator (maybe 16") back on:confused:... Bottom line, glad I put the hi-flow cat on and would do it again... :thumbsup:

codell17 01-14-2012 04:34 PM

Thanks for all the input guys! I was debating on whether or not to get the magna flow direct fit catalytic converter or not. I didn't want the universal one. Is there a 02 sensor after the cat on the L67 supercharged models?

blueSS 01-14-2012 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS (Post 404875)
My ZZP downpipe came with a high flow magnaflow cat. I have a 2.5 exhaust it's bolted up to. IMO I'm getting good gas mileage for city driving.

What kind of millage are you getting? I have the same set-up pretty much and i'm getting crappy millage :( like 16...

@Codell17 I believe there is an 02 after the car on s/c cars