Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   7th Gen ('06-'07): Difficulty in removing 2006 Muffler / Res (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/difficulty-removing-2006-muffler-res-55666/)

Dakota_Broderick 03-08-2016 01:20 PM

Difficulty in removing 2006 Muffler / Res

Hello,

This is my first time posting on this site (just found it today as a matter of fact) and it looks like the community is very helpful!

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to vehicle modifications. I enjoy digging into my vehicles to see how different things work and attempting to fix whatever I can!

ANYWAY my question you everyone pertains to how difficult is it to remove the stock muffler and resonator? as well as replacing it with an aftermarket muffler to give er a little more character! I'm not a solid welder so I would most likely want to use couplers and fittings! (I'm a poor college student). I would love some advice with the process, some do's and dont's, etc. I have what I think to be all the correct tools and a shop to do all this work in. I just wanna check with the experts here before I screw anything up too terribly!

Thank you all for the advice!!! :)

ChibiBlackSheep 03-08-2016 01:42 PM

I would just purchase a cat-back exhaust, and place it on with the provided clamps.

Not difficult at all :thumbsup:

Dakota_Broderick 03-08-2016 02:16 PM

Awesome I will look into that! Thank you for the reply!!

Tadcaster 03-08-2016 03:23 PM

I installed a cat-back on my 06 Monte SS (Magnaflow)

Now if you want to delete the resonator (I did) you will have to go to a muffler shop and have them cut you a straight pipe to replace the resonator (take good measuments on the length) and weld a flange on it to fit up to the cat

Dakota_Broderick 03-08-2016 04:36 PM

okay very good to know! thank you!

06mistreSS 03-08-2016 05:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Is yours an SS or not? A cat-back system is probably the easiest and most straight forward thing you can do with the exhaust. MagnaFlow seems to be the most common for these cars which is what I have on mine as well. I left the resonator on mine. Both of their systems, the 5.3L and the 3.5L/3.9L, will run you around $900.

Attachment 20848

Attachment 20849

Dakota_Broderick 03-08-2016 07:02 PM

mine is not an SS unfortunately.. I am running the 3.5! and yes this is my last year of college so I am hoping I will be able to throw a little more money into it after graduation! thanks for the estimate! that is something else that I was having trouble finding on the internet and a question I forgot to put in the original post :p

nightrider 03-10-2016 10:29 AM

I hacked my mufflers off, had some Flowmaster Super 40's put on, and had my shop put a straight pipe in place of the resonator.

The total was $350. About $75 for labor. The entire catback is great but you have options!

Dakota_Broderick 03-10-2016 02:27 PM

Okay that sounds a lot more affordable for the budget that I am working with haha and I just picked up a thrush welded muffler and I am going to install that this weekend .. See how she sounds and if I decide then I will take it to town to have the resonator removed and replaced with either a shorter one or just straight pipe