Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   damn O2 sensor (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/damn-o2-sensor-2738/)

97z34 11-24-2006 04:55 PM

damn O2 sensor

right now im running magnaflow highflow cat and mufflers and stock piping. it sounds like poo and performs just as bad. i knew it was going run like that but its better then it was running before. the whole reason i was left w/ stock piping is becuase i was told i needed a new cat casue mine was clogged so i had them slap that on along with the mufflers i had laying around in my garage. but it turned out my cat was fine , my timing was just off. so thats where im at now with stock piping and the service light from the 02 sensor. finally my question will an 02 sensor simulator fix my problem or will it still run poorly because of the stock piping betwen the cat and the mufflers. thanks

z34phoenix 11-25-2006 04:39 AM

RE: damn O2 sensor

how was your timeing off? if your talking about physicly off due to the timing belt that is possible... if im guessing right from you SN you have a 97 Z34 with the 3.4L DOHC similar to mine. currently i am running a generic High flow cat (2.5" dia) 2.5" piping to a magnaflow round muffler, a glasspack, and then two pipes out to the back... it sounds fine. and performs much better!

if you feel up to a drive, come out to daytona some time and i will look it over for you. i have a DHP powertuner. and although it only tunes for specific year/model car. i can still data log your car and scan the sensors for you. (basicly i can scan it but cant change the computer) i have done a good list of changes to my car's computer already. the majority of the changes are there to get better mpg and get all the toys i have to work 100% but if you need help or even a second eye to looking things over let me know.

also there is a florida monte carlo/ grand prix club down here. im sure some of them would also be glad to lend a hand. http://www.cnfcgp.com/forum/category-view.asp

additional quesitons/ tips. how many miles do you have on the monte? any mods? like intake or anything? what dia are the cat and mufflers? and what do you mean about runing poor? is it doing/not doing anything in particular? when was the last tunup? plugs, wires, check of the coils, trany fluid changes? i've learnd a bunch about this engine over the years. im sure we can get it running nice for ya!

04MonteLS 11-25-2006 04:46 AM

I don't get it. You had to keep the stock piping because you needed a new cat? How does that work?

97z34 11-25-2006 02:36 PM

its feels like its only a 4 cylnder. ever since my timing belt blew its been running like crap. they garage told me my cat was clogged so i needed a new one. so i bought a magnflow 2.5" HF cat and i already had a pair of magnaflow mufflers in my garage so i told him to put the mufflers on w/ the cat. i needed an extra $100 for the 2.5" piping from the cat-back. then that turned out to not even be the problem so then he changed my plugs and adjusted my timing, and did a compression check. now it runs to where i can drive everyday but it feels like its being held back alot like its running really rich or something. im hoping the o2 simulator wilol fix all my problems. it has 113k on it by the way and no mods exept for the cat and mufflers.

z34phoenix 11-25-2006 03:27 PM

how much did he charge you to "adjust the timing"? cause the only way to do that is pull the timing belt again and that is Big $$$

the computer self adjusts the mixture so unless your injectors are shot. (which is possible mine went out with a few more miles then that.)

other things to consider:
-fuel filter, air filter, Use synthetic oil!
-a bad Main O2 sensor. ( car has 2)
- bad TPS, IAC, or IAT sensors

if i had it infront of me i might beable to do better. you really need to get the computer scaned. go to an autozone they will scan it for free. if there are any codes come back and tell us. if there are no codes, your next best step is to let me or somone from the fl club use their DHP Powertuner to data log your sensors on a test run.

hey if you come out here i'll set you up with a FWI like mine! just buy the filter and parts (filter $20-50 depending on if you want a true K&N, intake elbow from junk yard $3)

97z34 11-25-2006 05:33 PM

the only code that is coming up is the one for the cat. i already changed my fuel filter. and the guy did the timing adjustments for free cause i bitched at him for giving me my car back when the timing was still off. aslo im moving out to orlando jan2 so i might take you up on that offer

fever42 11-25-2006 05:46 PM

fix'ed my problem, o2 deleat works, click on the girls . funny

[IMG]local://upfiles/99/CBEB671D6CD64678A612F1CB27EE103D.gif[/IMG]

97z34 12-05-2006 10:48 PM

alright so i got an 02 simulator and i put it in tonight then i went to autozone to get the code cleared. three dif codes popped up P0121,0300, and 0133 (TPS, Random Misfire, 02 Sensor) the 02 sensor one said bank 1 sensor 1 does that mean my 1st 02 sensor? well anyways while i was driving home the check engine light came back on. it blinked before but i never counted how many times but i counted tonight and it blinked 66 times at me idk if that means anything but i was bored and maybe it meant somthing? On my way home from work tomarrow im gunna stop by again to see what codes came back. how much are TPS's?

z34phoenix 12-06-2006 06:00 AM

tps's are like $30 the do go out. i'd replace it. if the light is flashing that mean it is seeing misfires! that is bad.

again, when were teh plugs and wires changed? yes the bank 1 sensor is your primary O2 sensor. and it is a PITA to change

if you change the O2 i recomend getting the AC delco OEM sensor it is a little more expensive, but this is a job you want to do as little as possible so get it done right the first time. for plugs i recomend the AC delco rapid fire plugs.... i currently have the ngk iridum plugs and i will be switching back to the rapid fires next tunup.

after you get those probs adressed, get a good fuel system cleaner done. lucas makes a good one... but it would also help to take it to a shop and have the system clean done... its diff then the pour in. and makes a real diff.

97z34 12-06-2006 03:09 PM

i went to autozone during my lunch it stil has the random misfire code. i just had the plugs changed when the timiing belt blew and the guy said the wires look new so i didnt need to change them. idk how he can tell they still look new when you replace them. the tps code didnt show up again so im guessing that was just from the exhaust and also the 02 didnt show up. it hasnt ran right since i had the timing belt put on, so maybe the timing is still off but it would be nice if it was just the wires. i guess those are the next investment