Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Cracked Exhaust Manifold Replacment? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/cracked-exhaust-manifold-replacment-49358/)

michelob 06-24-2014 10:18 AM

Cracked Exhaust Manifold Replacment?

2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 L

I believe its the left side for reference. I was told by a small independent muffler shop that I have a cracked a exhaust manifold and that my EGR valve line was also broken at the exhaust manifold. Consequently they don't do manifold work only exhaust pipes. I'm getting a 2nd opinion tomorrow at Midas. Although I think the muffler shop was spot on as I'm also getting "ticking" under acceleration and after reading around I see that is a tell tale sign of an exhaust manifold leak.

Is this a pretty involved repair? My buddy and I did a flexplate/flywheel so I can't believe it would be that difficult right? Are there any good write ups here I did a quick search but couldn't really find anything on how to tear this down and do the actual repair. Or maybe something on Youtube that would be recommended as following?

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

nitehawkjcb 06-24-2014 10:39 AM

You unbolt the rear exhaust manifold from the downpipe and from the rear head, unbolt the EGR and that's about it... Make sure to remove the spark plug wires and plugs too if you want to be safe.

michelob 06-24-2014 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb (Post 619350)
You unbolt the rear exhaust manifold from the downpipe and from the rear head, unbolt the EGR and that's about it... Make sure to remove the spark plug wires and plugs too if you want to be safe.

Thanks man is that same procedure for the "right" and the "left"? There is a "left" and a "right" side correct?

nitehawkjcb 06-24-2014 11:47 AM

What? There are bolts and studs that hold on the exhaust manifold... if you're talking about a "left and right" exhaust manifold that's for a RWD vehicle, ours are FWD hence back and front. But yes, same procedure minus the EGR for the front. Unbolt the crossover pipe, unbolt studs and bolts from manifold(s) and remove...

Might need to use some PB blaster on the crossover also. Just a heads up.

michelob 06-24-2014 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb (Post 619361)
What? There are bolts and studs that hold on the exhaust manifold... if you're talking about a "left and right" exhaust manifold that's for a RWD vehicle, ours are FWD hence back and front. But yes, same procedure minus the EGR for the front. Unbolt the crossover pipe, unbolt studs and bolts from manifold(s) and remove...

Might need to use some PB blaster on the crossover also. Just a heads up.

LOL ok thanks man I know just enough to be dangerous when working on this beast. So yeah OK front and back sounds better.

Thanks again brother. :thumbsup:

nitehawkjcb 06-24-2014 01:17 PM

No problem man if you have more questions feel free to ask

michelob 06-26-2014 12:49 PM

Well Midas was unable to "find" a leak except at the flex pipe flange where it bolts to the exhaust manifold. They wanna smoke test it for $35 but I'm not sure I'm gonna go that route just yet.

Had my nephew look at it and he ran a scanner on it to pull codes and viewed the fuel trim data. The EGR valve line was loose where it meets up with the exhaust manifold and there was also another pipe that was loose right next to the EGR valve line and then of course its leaking at the flex pipe also. The flex pipe leak should be under warranty as that was just put on about 2-3 months ago with a new aftermarket Cat. I'll find out tomorrow afternoon.

Plus he said my PCV valve was not sealing (the rubber O-ring is hard and brittle) like it should and because the access cover to that was broken that holds the MAP sensor in by the last owner I'm just gonna buy an AC Delco kit and replace the rubber O-ring and broken access cover all in one. O'Reilly carries 'em for like $22 I think.

So at this point my nephew is strongly thinking that I do not have a cracked exhaust manifold but just a lot of other sh*t going on at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to respond though. :thumbsup:

03SSLE 06-28-2014 08:42 AM

Permatex makes a high temp copper gasket maker. If you coat the flange surfaces in addition to the gasket it should take care of your exhaust leak. I used it at the track (cheaper then a stack of collector gaskets} to seal my collectors for the drive home. Never had a leak...

michelob 06-28-2014 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE (Post 619892)
Permatex makes a high temp copper gasket maker. If you coat the flange surfaces in addition to the gasket it should take care of your exhaust leak. I used it at the track (cheaper then a stack of collector gaskets} to seal my collectors for the drive home. Never had a leak...

Thanks man I'll look into doing that. Yeah the garage that put on the new aftermarket Cat has changed hands so now the new owner says "What makes you think its leaking"? I said "Because I can feel it and Midas also told me it was leaking". Long story short they are not going to cover it and even told me "You'll feel some air in that area". I was dumb founded I told the dude "Yeah its supposed to be a sealed exhaust system you shouldn't be feeling air from the flex pipe flange".

But my nephew will fix it for free if I buy the gasket so I'll also look at that Permatex stuff tool. :thumbsup:

Cowboy6622 06-29-2014 11:00 AM

exhaust manifold crack and a leaking exhaust gasket have a lot of the same characteristics..... unless you've had cylinders misfiring or a lot of backfiring through the exhaust, I find it highly unlikely you cracked an exhaust manifold... those issues were mostly taken care of in designs in the 1980s as far as I know.