Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Cold air intake (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/cold-air-intake-47448/)

Shelbo Mustang 02-20-2014 06:28 PM

Cold air intake

We have a Pull A Part in our area so I went up there today. I got to looking around and found enough parts to make me a cold air intake! I got it on the car today and I can't believe how much you can hear it! I tried to take some pic. of it but its dark outside.I'll get them on here tomorrow.

Anyway, the intake is louder than the exhaust by a lot and I can't have that! I was wondering what muffler sounded good on the Montes? This is the first Monte I have ever built so I don't know to much about them or there sound.:)

turbo monte 02-20-2014 09:52 PM

It's hard to get decent sound out of the 3800. They either sound good at idle and raspy under acceleration or you barely hear it at idle and it sounds ok under acceleration. With this engine it's very tough, most exhausts I hear on them are all raspy to me.

Leprechaun93 02-20-2014 09:55 PM

You have to browse youtube and find a sound that you like really, like John said, not much sounds good with these cars as they get raspy.

Here is what i have, no mufflers and a glasspack in place of the resonator.

And heres another with an LS4 Monte

Crusader SS 02-20-2014 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93 (Post 598622)
You have to browse youtube and find a sound that you like really, like John said, not much sounds good with these cars as they get raspy.

Here is what i have, no mufflers and a glasspack in place of the resonator.

Monte Carlo Exhaust - YouTube

And heres another with an LS4 Monte

Monte Carlo Test Drive - YouTube

Sounds really good Keane...:thumbsup:... I'm on my tablet and the speakers are not great, I did not hear any rasp, is this right?... Thanks,:)

Leprechaun93 02-20-2014 10:14 PM

Me personally, i don't think there is really any rasp on mine. Supposedly the glasspack really helps reduce rasp and lower the tone a bit.

Crusader SS 02-20-2014 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93 (Post 598628)
Me personally, i don't think there is really any rasp on mine. Supposedly the glasspack really helps reduce rasp and lower the tone a bit.

Wow... This may be the best set-up for our 3800's...:thumbsup:... What glass pack are you running (make and length please)...:)

Leprechaun93 02-20-2014 10:32 PM

I wanna say 18" but i'd have to measure for sure, and i'm not sure on the brand, going to guess its a cherry bomb as its red lol. I wouldn't recommend my setup for a DD as its loud and drone can get bad. But maybe with a good set of mufflers it would be good.

Crusader SS 02-20-2014 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93 (Post 598632)
I wanna say 18" but i'd have to measure for sure, and i'm not sure on the brand, going to guess its a cherry bomb as its red lol. I wouldn't recommend my setup for a DD as its loud and drone can get bad. But maybe with a good set of mufflers it would be good.

I wonder what would happen if I added it to my Magnaflow set up...I just worry that it would get quiet again...:confused:

Crusader SS 02-20-2014 10:38 PM

Hey, sorry Shelby, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread...:(

Barnacle14 04-17-2014 11:56 AM

I still have my cat on my 3800. But took the resonator off and added 2 thrush welded 2-1/2 mufflers. It sounds good on cold start up. And under acceleration. Until it hits 2000 rpm then it is loud! But I enjoy it. My gf doesnt but oh well (: