Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Car is extremely loud (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/car-extremely-loud-53364/)

mc1978 05-27-2015 08:39 PM

Car is extremely loud

Today, my Monte was running great all day. I got gas after a long day of running around and the next thing I knew the exhaust seemed louder. I thought nothing of it as had my windows open. I went to a few more places and it got louder and louder each time I started the car. Well, just before I headed home, it was so loud, that I drove with my hazards on, not knowing what the issue was. I get home and look underneath the car with a flashlight at this point, and see that my catalytic converter is no longer connected to the back end of the exhaust system. it looks fine at the front, but where the cat meets glasspack muffler (the resonator was replaced with this some time back by a previous owner), it is disconnected as if a clamp rotted away or something. How much would it be to get something like this repaired?

Habbibie 05-27-2015 10:49 PM

At a reasonable muffler shop about $10-40 to either instal new bolts or weld it back on. Won't take a shop more than half an hour of labor and while its up there check your rubber hangers too they usually have replacements and if any are dry or rotted have them change them, they charge like $2.50 per hanger which is dirt cheap compare to auto parts stores.

ZIPPY02 05-28-2015 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Habbibie (Post 664179)
At a reasonable muffler shop about $10-40 to either instal new bolts or weld it back on. Won't take a shop more than half an hour of labor and while its up there check your rubber hangers too they usually have replacements and if any are dry or rotted have them change them, they charge like $2.50 per hanger which is dirt cheap compare to auto parts stores.

I agree, get the rubber hangers replaced while your there. Seems like I'm always missing one...

Guess it depends why the connection failed at the cat and the pipe to it's rear. Corrosion? If so they will have to splice you on a section of pipe unless the whole thing is rotted away and your mufflers are junk. Bet at that point your about $250 for a basic system if you go to a mom and pop shop not Midas, Meineke etc.

That had to be funny rolling down the road with your loud azz car and hazards on. You should have just played NASCAR and bulldozed your way home past everyone, all loud and nasty... Bwaap bwaaap braaaa, voom voom voooom.

mc1978 05-28-2015 08:16 AM

Good thing im starting a new job next week. Im thinking about a cat-less downpipe and be done with it.

I took it to a shop early this morning and he said Iit looks like it was welded on top of rust. He wasn't sure. He won't have a lift til Monday and would want to replace the ENTIRE system from manifold all the way back. Time to keep looking. It'll be loud for a while. Once I get the car to 30MPH, its not as scary. Im afraid to bring it onto the highway.

Habbibie 05-28-2015 12:23 PM

It won't be too bad on the highway the car usually stays at low Rpms if you're crusing the speed limit or close to it.