Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   CAI Question (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/cai-question-33320/)

BillyBob427 01-11-2012 07:13 AM

CAI Question

Hey guys new to the forum. Have an 02 Monte SS Intimidator Edition (Non Supercharged). Not really looking to mod too much since it is my daily driver and I plan on buying a new truck. I like this car because it is comfortable, looks good, and gets decent gas mileage. It is time to replace the air filter, so I figured I might think about spending some extra $$$ and get a little performance and mpg out of it. I also like to "tinker" with stuff haha. I recently had to get a new cat so I opted for the U-bend delete on the exhaust as well. I believe it is a stock-ish style cat nothing fancy. I have been hearing great things about the Wizaired CAI. What kind of hp and mpg gains could I expect to see from this unit? I was guessing the hp increase is probably in the 7-12 range at best, but didn't know about the mpg increase. I am not really interested in putting a new down pipe or new exhaust on the car since I am not a fan of modded V-6 sound, plus everytime I do something with exhaust (headers on my truck) it always ends up leaking and sounding like crap. Will a CAI do much for me in this particular application, or should I just replace with a K&N drop in filter and call it a day? Let me know what you guys think and thank you...

monte07 01-12-2012 06:46 PM

it will give may be 1-5hp rough estimet you will def see a increase in gas milage using the wizzard. because it allowes to draw in more air insted of a little opining you have a bigger one behind the head light lens it is a insulated model. so it will keep down the air temp much as possible. given the intake tube goes over the exaughst cross over pipe. you will notice a little wine when exallerating but it is normal using the wizzard but dont worrie it is normal. the drop in k&n you still use the factory intahe box with a small i mean very small opining. yes it will breath better with it and you can reuse it repeditly but still using the factory opining of the box. the first thing you have done to help it breath better was the u bend delete and getting rid of the bad cat. and the new cat and no u-bend plus the wizzard air intake will help it breath better. breath and exhale on a vehicle = running and better mpg from standard. even though the manufacturer spent alot of r&d on the engine but some times they over look the oveus

ZIPPY02 01-12-2012 08:14 PM

Welcome to the forum, fair enough question. Daily driver, not to much of a lead foot type of person. Might as well just drop in a new KN filter and call it good. If your not out romping it and wanting to squeak a small amount of power and MPG gain, why go through the paces and spend money on something you will never really capatilize on excpet for a minimal mileage increase. If you spend $200 plus on a CAI unit how long before you break even? Just my opinion

codell17 01-12-2012 10:46 PM

If you are going to get the CAI, the cheapest place on the net for the K&N intake is vr-speed.net..... you won't find a cheaper place on the net for a K&N 57-3045.. K&N Cold Air Intake 2000-2005 Chevy Monte Carlo 57-3045

Mr Grizzly Mint 01-12-2012 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02 (Post 404020)
Welcome to the forum, fair enough question. Daily driver, not to much of a lead foot type of person. Might as well just drop in a new KN filter and call it good. If your not out romping it and wanting to squeak a small amount of power and MPG gain, why go through the paces and spend money on something you will never really capatilize on excpet for a minimal mileage increase. If you spend $200 plus on a CAI unit how long before you break even? Just my opinion

I go through 3 gallons of gas a day and average 22 miles per gallon in my Supercharged SS. If a CAI cost $200 dollars and increases it to 24 miles per gallon same driving style, then 11 gallons at the new 24mpg saves me one gallon worth versus without the CAI so thats $3. so at 770 gallons of gas i save enough to make it to the black and start saving money, it saves $210. Minus the $200 for the CAI is saved $10. So in 257 Working days I save enough to pay for it or in roughly 19,000 miles which is about a year and a half. So i say it is worth it.
Plus any mods that make your car more fun to drive are always worth it.

The numbers except gas mileage are rounded for easy mental math. I could save faster or slower depending on average mpg changes due to outside sources, or variation in gas pricing.

BillyBob427 01-13-2012 06:18 AM

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I do sometimes enjoy smashing on the gas and things of that nature. The 3.8 is decently peppy. Not quite like the firehawk I want, but thats nor here nor there haha. I am not really worried about the $240-ish price point vs $40 for a K&N drop in. I just want the most performance I can get with a new filter and from what I have read on this post the Wizaired is the one to choose unless anyone has any other suggestions.

Hope this isn't the wrong place to mention this, but I have been tripping the code for my rear O2 sensor (don't remember the code off hand). I replaced the rear sensor and the code is still tripping. Says something about low voltage or something. Anyone else had this issue or no of a fix for it?

Thanks in advance.

ChibiBlackSheep 01-13-2012 08:08 AM

If you want a CAI go with a Wizaired. Be warned, your supercharger will whine louder and it can be addicting to hear it and your MPGs can actually go down ;)

Also in the winter the MPGs aren't the best, since you are pulling so much cold air the computer wants to dump fuel at it to compensate.

Regarding the code, if it was P0420, your stock cat could be clogging not the sensor going bad :)

03SSLE 01-13-2012 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by BillyBob427 (Post 404244)
...from what I have read on this post the Wizaired is the one to choose unless anyone has any other suggestions.

2002 - V-6 3.8L - Monte Carlo - Chevrolet - Cold Air Intakes - Store :D

gasman 01-13-2012 11:52 AM

if your tripping the rear o2 sensor code did you change the cat? i know i did that when i went and got a high flow cat for my down pipe and changed the o2 sensor and realized it wouldn't go out. i had to eat the cost of getting a pcm tuned with the code turned off from zz performance

Mr Grizzly Mint 01-13-2012 11:54 AM

03SSLE I like the way that looks thx for the link black powdercoat looks awsome