Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Cai (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/cai-48329/)

Charleslatrelle 04-14-2014 05:20 PM

Cai

What is the best cold air intake I can put on my 03 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 I read some old post saying go with wizaired but cannot find that kit anywhere. Some people say do not go with k&n because it is a hot air intake. Can someone shed some light on this for me

MnteCrloSS47 04-14-2014 05:27 PM

Cold air inductions CAI, best on the market

Leprechaun93 04-14-2014 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47 (Post 608797)

:iagree:

Also, ZZP makes their own intake Wizaired i believe its called, alot of people also like it.

AwesomeSS 04-14-2014 07:41 PM

ZZPerformance sells the Wizaired CAI

03SSLE 04-14-2014 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Agreed :thumbsup:

Attachment 27600

Dubstepticon 04-14-2014 09:28 PM

Cold Air Inductions, CAI. That's what I plan on getting!

monte carlo 3831 04-14-2014 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon (Post 608820)

best one there is to get.........:thumbsup:

butch049 04-15-2014 06:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Charles heres mine from Cold Air Inductions really think the best choice.

ChibiBlackSheep 04-15-2014 07:28 AM

CAI Inc, Wizaired, and ZZPs version are probably the 3 best "kits" you can buy today.

The_Maniac 04-15-2014 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 608847)
CAI Inc, Wizaired, and ZZPs version are probably the 3 best "kits" you can buy today.

I would be inclined to agree with that statement. I don't think you are going to ever find any apples to apples comparisons one a dyno of these (as each set of dyno numbers are different cars, different shops that did it).

My opinion, ask some owners, look at pics of how it goes together, decide what you think looks like the most free flowing setup.

I own a Wizaird. I will admit, I am a little disappointed in the overall finish of the product. The lid is held with "bungee" cords and no matter what I did, I could not position the cone filter from hitting the plexi-lid (which now has a small crack). ZZP replaced the plexi at no charge and the prevent this moving forward, I made shims to raise the lid.

But, I do like that it's insulated, it is nicely/precision formed metal, the lid allows view of the filter and it did have a method to properly hold down the PCM (as a result, I gave my PCM a brushed aluminum look and some high temp clear as you can see it now when the hood is popped) and they gave a new air duct to go with the kit. They also have you relocate the air temp sensor to the intake box.

If I had this to do over again, I would probably look some more at Cold Air Inductions, I'd want answers to:
- How do they handle securing the PCM?
- How do they hadle securing the lid?
- Is the box insulated (and I think it is)?
- What is the overall cost difference with the Wizaird w/Filter vs the Cold Air Inductions w/ Filter (and anything extra I would need).

Don't misunderstand my statements. I am happy with the Wizaird, but I expected a little more in the final product (and even if I took a deeper look at Cold Air Inductions, I may have still ended up with the Wizaird, I don't know because I own a Wizaird and right now have no plans of swapping).

Leprechaun93 04-15-2014 12:58 PM

CAI Inc uses a special tray under the air box to mount the PCM, then the air box mounts to that. The lid is secured using quarter turn flat head screws and yes the box is insulated.

ChibiBlackSheep 04-15-2014 01:15 PM

I have a CAI Inc brand on my 2013 Camaro and I love the fit and finish.

It's well insulated, my IATs register only 4* above ambient temp even in traffic according to my scangauge.

AwesomeSS 04-15-2014 08:54 PM

The reason I didn't go with CAI Inc because I hate the stock inlet tube so I chose Wizaired for my 05SS. Still sticking with the K&N for the 03 cause it's the best looking CAI out there for our cars - not worried about performance with the 03 cause I hardly drive it anymore.

03SSLE 04-16-2014 10:23 AM

I did a price comparison between the CAI, Wizaired and Thrasher. By the time you purchase an air filter (Not included with Wizaired or Thrasher) you have to add approx. another $45 to the price. By that time you're spending almost as much as you would for the CAI. Higher quality construction, excellent fit and a company that still knows what customer service is - why would you even consider any other brand?

nascar43 05-24-2014 01:47 PM

replacing my wizaired

Been a Long time since I last posted on here. I am replacing my Wizaired cai kit because it is simply falling apart. I am going to go with the CAI brand. I like that matt-black finish. I have a red colored Spectre cone filter in there now also. I to am diappointed in the quality of the Wizaired product. It was good for the first couple of years but it's coming loose everywhere.

KillerB 05-24-2014 03:32 PM

Cold air inductions all the way,very happy with the quality.

nascar43 05-24-2014 08:01 PM

Ordered and on the way...:)

RonBoySS 05-25-2014 12:43 AM

Let us know how the install goes and if it feels better. I am thinking about picking one up, but need to get my tranny looked at, hoping a fluid change is all it needs.

butch049 05-25-2014 07:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres mine really built good fits good.

nascar43 05-25-2014 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by butch049 (Post 615114)

Looks good. Where the wizaired is falling apart is the bungie cords,the padding that rests next the radiator support is gone,the plexie glass is cracking and seal (door edge guard strip) around the top keeps coming off.
The bungie cords are loosing their tension. It's a good kit but it just doesn't last as long as you would want it to.

The_Maniac 05-25-2014 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by nascar43 (Post 615155)
Looks good. Where the wizaired is falling apart is the bungie cords,the padding that rests next the radiator support is gone,the plexie glass is cracking and seal (door edge guard strip) around the top keeps coming off.
The bungie cords are loosing their tension. It's a good kit but it just doesn't last as long as you would want it to.

My plexi-cracked first year due to the filter hitting it (and I could not re-point it at all, I had to "shim" lid up). ZZP sent me a new piece I have yet to put on (but it does not have "Wizaird" etched into it, a bit dis-appointing).
And I did not realize until I got mine that the lid it held on with bungees, I figure those won't last forever.
It's little things I thought odd about the fit and finish for such a popular product. Don't get me wrong, it gets the job done....

Crusader SS 05-26-2014 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've had my Wizaird CAI for 5 yrs now and it is pretty much like new... The bungie cords are still good, I do have a small scrape mark on the inside of the Plexiglas where the filter rubs against it, installed a short throw ram air filter and stainless tubing and rubbing went away... All in all, very happy with the build quality and performance...:thumbsup:

Sales @ CAI Inc 06-11-2014 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93 (Post 608799)
:iagree:

Also, ZZP makes their own intake Wizaired i believe its called, alot of people also like it.

Originally Posted by 03SSLE (Post 608814)

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon (Post 608820)

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831 (Post 608822)
best one there is to get.........:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by butch049 (Post 608844)
Charles heres mine from Cold Air Inductions really think the best choice.

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 608895)
I have a CAI Inc brand on my 2013 Camaro and I love the fit and finish.

It's well insulated, my IATs register only 4* above ambient temp even in traffic according to my scangauge.

Originally Posted by 03SSLE (Post 609013)
I did a price comparison between the CAI, Wizaired and Thrasher. By the time you purchase an air filter (Not included with Wizaired or Thrasher) you have to add approx. another $45 to the price. By that time you're spending almost as much as you would for the CAI. Higher quality construction, excellent fit and a company that still knows what customer service is - why would you even consider any other brand?

Originally Posted by nascar43 (Post 615037)
Been a Long time since I last posted on here. I am replacing my Wizaired cai kit because it is simply falling apart. I am going to go with the CAI brand. I like that matt-black finish. I have a red colored Spectre cone filter in there now also. I to am diappointed in the quality of the Wizaired product. It was good for the first couple of years but it's coming loose everywhere.

Originally Posted by KillerB (Post 615044)
Cold air inductions all the way,very happy with the quality.

Originally Posted by butch049 (Post 615114)

Wow guys, I can't thank you enough for all the support! I am also glad to see that we have so many happy customers here, it really is awesome! We will continue to make the best CAI we possibly can for your vehicles, as well as all of the other vehicle platforms we support! Again, thank you so much for all the kind words!!!