Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   best intake system for a s/c monte (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/best-intake-system-s-c-monte-8132/)

black04monteSS 02-26-2008 05:16 PM

best intake system for a s/c monte

i know the supercharged cars love to breath so im wondering which air intake would be the best one for the money to put on my 04 intimidator

MyIntimidator 02-26-2008 05:53 PM

RE: best intake system for a s/c monte

I put the K&N FIPK on My Intimidator

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...or/57-3045.jpg

I think it turned out Awesome

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...r/CIMG0167.jpg

I loved the upgrade I noticed the differance More responsive, better MPG and I love the sound You can really hear the Supercharger Whine! That is what is going to get me in trouble....lol

black04monteSS 02-26-2008 06:01 PM

ok i was leaning towards the k&n it looks clean but i didnt know if you actually get what you pay for with them... and i wanna hear that s/c whine, haha

Cowboy6622 02-26-2008 06:20 PM

www.zzperformance.com

They have a wizair box, according to them (keep in midn they are trying to sell you a product), it is the most engineered and designed CAI in the 3.8L market.

The best kind, according to the "die-hard racers" is the homebuilt kind.

You can also see my article in the "General Monte Carlo" section titled "FAQ: Exhuast and CAI"

2000_BLACK_SS 02-26-2008 06:37 PM

the best performence of a bought one would be the wizaired one but i am not a big fan of it because it is to bigin my opinion, the k&N looks 100 times better

bumpin96monte 02-26-2008 11:28 PM

Both the wizair and k&n are super expensive.

I like the homebuilt better. I spent maybe $25 in parts from a ricer store (polished aluminum 4" pipe w/ a 22.5* bend). Put my filter mostly into the fender well. The K&N alone cost maybe $50 for a 4" inlet, 9" long cone. My iats are about 25 or so over ambient- I'd like to take some of the abs plastic I have laying around and block it off from the backside so that it can only draw fender air.

But a homemade intake can be made for much cheaper.

04 Intimidator 02-27-2008 12:08 AM

I love the Wizaired and I saw better dyno numbers on it on Club GP about2 years ago when I got mine.

Homemade will be cheaper and if you do it in the Fenderwell it can be better.

KN looks better but I think it is nuts to drop that much money for it.

06MCLTZ 02-27-2008 10:01 AM

It's all up to what you want, performance/looks, performance, looks. K&N is best of both worlds looks great in there and performs really good. If you want more performance and don't care about looks so much get the Wizaired. Performance also would be home made FWI, usally looks like crap but performs great

RocknSS04 03-01-2008 08:27 PM

I like the smooth pipe of the K&N over the bellows tube on the Wizaired box. Wizaired has a MUCH better box, but has the bellows tube. I bought the K&N and put a Lexan cover on it to help keep underhood air from being sucked in.

lav74 03-01-2008 09:02 PM

I still have my WizAired after 4 years... it's still in good shape, and does the job. It's proven to still flow very well, even at the ~350whp level.

The goal is to keep the pipe as short as possible, and keep the intake air as cold as possible.

There are pros and cons to each setup. I dislike the FWI, because you have alot of pipe to suck the air through... it causes turbulence, and makes it more difficult to the SC to suck the air in. The advantage, is you get pretty cold air, so it makes up for it.

With hot box setups like the MSP or the trasher, they leak big amounts of hot air into their boxes, or they aren't insulated well enough, so they heat up the air before it enters the SC. This hurts performance, but on the other hand, the SC doesn't have to work as hard to get the air in.

To get the best of both worlds, a CAI box attempts to seal the box from the engine bay, so it only grabs air from the headlight area, or through the fenderwell. THe WizAired achieves this, so you have a short piece of pipe with little to no bends, and you have cold air, because it's sealed from the engine bay.

To understand the physics behind the effort required to pull air through a tube, the internet has plenty of resources... read it up, but to make it simple... would you rather such your milkshake through a 10 foot straw with a bunch of 90* bends, or would you rather have a short, big piped straw where you barely have to suck to get the milkshake through... 90* bends on a 3" pipe are equivalent to like 6 feet of extra pipe...

Hope that helps.