Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   Air Intake? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/air-intake-2845/)

vipermann114 12-10-2006 02:16 AM

Air Intake?

i'm looking into buyin cold air intake the end of this week. I found a k&n intake with k7n oiled filter off ebay brand new for about 65. Nowe im new to this do you think thats a dcent deal and are k&n intakes good? Any feedback would be great. Thanx Guys

P.S. Posting Pics of the Carlo very very soon!

MadelynsDaddy 12-11-2006 12:18 AM

RE: Air Intake?

Best price I've seen on eBay is $190. Do you have a link? If it's really the intake w/filter for $65
that would be a steal. Sounds too good to be true. As for reputation, I've seen a lot of posts that
recommend K&N. I've considered buying one myself. If someone's actually selling the kit for that
price I'd certainly buy it.

White05LT 12-11-2006 12:35 AM

GREAT KIT, I have the full Cold Air Intake kit and the thing sounds MEAN. You can really feel the power difference. Be sure to get the exhaust done, your going to get ALOT more air in, so you have to get it out, and the stock exhaust isn't going to do that fast enough.

MadelynsDaddy 12-14-2006 06:33 PM

Just looking around last night, I found several "K&N" intakes on Ebay for 50-60 bucks shipped.
These are, however, NOT the K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit manufactured by K&N. That goes
for $200 and up. They are off-brand systems, and many of them look like they just bought a K&N filter,
added a short pipe and some clamps, and called it a cold air intake. If you're interested in going off-brand,
you might consider just doing it yourself. Why pay someone else $30 for a few easily bought materials you
could pick up for 5 or 10 bucks? I think it was z34phoenix who posted a very good write-up (with pics)
of how to do this on one of these threads. If I don't go turbo, I'll probably do a custom job myself.
It looks way too easy to pay someone else triple the price- and I'm a novice with a wrench. Just
a thought.

04 Intimidator 12-15-2006 11:41 AM

I'm not a fan of the "Ebay" intakes... the ones that show about 40 listings for roughly the same thing. These are what I refer to as Hot Air Intakes because they pull right from the engine bay where it might be 140+ degrees. I like to stick with the ones you can purchase from the standard vendors.

z34phoenix 12-16-2006 05:45 AM

the reason i went to great lenghts making a FWI and then the writeup on how to do it, is that on 5th gen montes, your battery is next to the filter. unlike the newer monte's and Grandprix's all the kits out there made you move the battery to the trunk... and i didnt want to do this. so i figured out how to do it without relocating the bat. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/473859/6 that should help. if your gonna end up with a HAI hot air intake... just an open cone filter in the engine bay, i'd advise against it! first your gonna suck in hot air. if your having any knock issues with your motor they will just get worse with increasing intake air! and second it wont give you any really HP gains over stock. it will however add more sound to the engine.

your best bet is to make a FWI or buy a true Cold Air Intake system CAI. that way you get the additional air, and lower intake temps to get the real HP gain. even with the best systems your only looking at about 5-7HP for stock engines. dont believe what they list on their sites. and their max #'s are what would happen if you had a highly modded engine and went back to stock. say if you had full headers and exhaust new heads and then all of a sudden you pluged the intake going back to a stock filter system!

sirkis31 04-16-2009 05:55 PM

im installing a cold air intake and was wandering if anyone had any advice on how to remove the stock intake. i have an 05