Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   7th Gen SS V8 Exhaust Upgrades (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/7th-gen-ss-v8-exhaust-upgrades-32706/)

06mistreSS 12-13-2011 11:53 AM

7th Gen SS V8 Exhaust Upgrades

I've been considering doing an exhaust system upgrade in the spring. At some point I'd like to add headers as well, but because of the cost I'm just concentrating on the exhaust system as of now. I'm looking at MagnaFlow's Performance System (16727), cat-back for the 5.3L V8.

First, I wanted to ask if anyone has this MagnaFlow system, or another system, on their Seventh Gen 5.3L V8 and how much of a noticeable difference it makes with sound and performance? I've heard sound clips and seen videos online but that's not the same as hearing it in person. Is it worth the investment?

Second, for anyone with headers on the 5.3L V8, how much of a noticeable difference is made with the addition of the headers paired with an aftermarket exhaust system? Again, is it worth the investment for the headers?

To add, I do have a K&N performance intake if that means anything to this.

Thanks for the help!

77gp 12-13-2011 12:15 PM

I would like to see what people have to say on this subject. I went to muffler shop and had my resonater removed for $20. That made a noticable difference, but just temporary till i get a system or mufflers. They said they can install me some Fmasters for $200 but thats using existing pipe setup.

ChibiBlackSheep 12-13-2011 12:15 PM

Headers are always worth it, but IDK how available they are anymore.

The Magnaflow kit sounds really good on the v8s. But so does a straight pipe.

Jester_20 12-13-2011 01:31 PM

check out demonspeeder's car/sound clips.

Cat-back straight pipe with doug thorley headers (i think) IMO it's one damn fine exhaust.

FYI--unless you drive around in 1-3 or have a tune, it'll sound funky once DOD kicks in

:wave&point:Found the link:wave&point:

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS - YouTube

06mistreSS 12-17-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 391185)
Headers are always worth it, but IDK how available they are anymore.

The Magnaflow kit sounds really good on the v8s. But so does a straight pipe.

Chibi, what do you mean about availability? Did Thorley only do one production run of those headers, or limited runs? As for the MagnaFlow system, I've heard good things about it, and about MagnaFlow in general. As of right now, I'm just thinking of going with their system, but just for the hell of it, what's the average cost of having a straight pipe system done? I do need to do something because I have some rot through on the bottom side of the factory mufflers.

Jester, that clip sounds pretty good. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help/info guys!

ChibiBlackSheep 12-17-2011 08:58 AM

I just haven't followed the headers since the initial run with the group discount. He could still be selling them, I never looked! haha

Jester_20 12-17-2011 09:22 AM

Obviously if you get a shop to do it, it's gonna be on the higher end price wise, but if you got a buddy with a lift and got some know-how when it comes to welding, you can get some pipe at auto zone, cut off the mufflers, and weld the pipe in place. pretty simple.

it does get a little more expensive depending on the bends, pipe, & tips you wanna use though

SupplySgt 12-17-2011 09:38 AM

Here's another one. SLP Loudmouth catback with the mufflers deleted. Sounds amazing.

07 Monte Carlo SS (Very Loud)! - YouTube