Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   2004 Monte SS N/A (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/2004-monte-ss-n-50151/)

schroederchevelle 08-25-2014 05:53 PM

2004 Monte SS N/A

I'm looking into putting a ZZP front powerlog and ZZP downpipe onto my Monte. I was just wondering a few things about how the car will respond to these new pieces. The powerlog is pretty straight forward and the only question I have about it is will it seal when I use the stock crossover pipe? With the downpipe, will I have trouble with the high-flow cat setting off an O2 sensor code being that there is less restriction of the exhaust? Will I see any power gains or MPG gain from doing these two mods and leaving everything else stock? I'm not putting aftermarket mufflers or anything on because I don't want it to sound like a ricer or will it actually have a good tone to it? Any replies are appreciated!

Thanks!

ohara 08-25-2014 07:45 PM

You may want to look in to getting your pcm tuned prior to doing this, or shortly thereafter. The reason I say this is that the high flow cat will probably throw the code and if you have to pass emissions tests you will fail with a code showing. I have had mine tuned by Will @ Overkill and I am more than happy with what he did, it makes the car run like it should have (well not really cause I don't think they should have ever been offered in a v6 but that's a whole other story lol) but it improved my driveability ten fold. With the tune it eliminates the code when you install the high flow cat and downpipe, and you will like the extra power it gives you. I have read and heard nothing but good things about the power log, so thumbs up with your decision. You probably won't notice too much of a difference in tone from your exhaust with those mods, the changes really start when you change mufflers or eliminate the resonator, at this point you will notice a change in exhaust tone.

The Maniac (Jason) one of the mods on the forum here offers a pcm service and can probably tune the code out for you as well, if you look in the classifieds section it tells you more about what he has to offer, and people that he has helped have raved about what he has done for them, so I would also suggest at least sending him a pm and see what he says. He is very knowledgeable and always willing to help when he can

I do recommend also investing in a cold air intake, there are many on the market but try and get one that actually goes in to the fender well, or comes with a shroud around it so that you actually get cold air, and not the warm engine compartment air, this will also help you car perform better

ohara 08-25-2014 07:56 PM

Here is a link to the service that Jason (The Maniac) offers

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-3100-a-42773/

like I said you should send him a pm and see what he can do for you, if nothing else he will give you some great advice.

schroederchevelle 08-25-2014 08:50 PM

Alright thanks! I don't have to worry about emissions though so I might just take out the U-bend and hope that gains a little power.

zjerry 08-25-2014 09:32 PM

I have a ZZP front powerlog and Summit high flow cat with U bend delete on my 2005 Monte SS, An I have never got a code for o2 sensor ..:thumbsup:

ChibiBlackSheep 08-26-2014 07:37 AM

The powerlog fits directly to the stock crossover, it even reuses the same gasket to the engine. Just be careful with those crossover bolts, you don't want to snap one.

You'll pick up a little oomph, but with a freer flowing exhaust, you might not necessarily FEEL it. The car will just feel a little more responsive.

The P0420 code is random. Some people get it, some people don't. You can try the o2 emulator, or look around for a tune. The CEL does get annoying even if you don't have emissions testing if you get it.

schroederchevelle 08-26-2014 10:07 AM

I just want a little more power and response and a couple more mpg as I am going to college 300 miles from home. It'd be nice to gain some. I'm thinking about replacing the cat soon anyway but would you recommend getting a high-flow? I think the U-bend delete is a must.

ChibiBlackSheep 08-26-2014 11:00 AM

Technically you would need to do a TON of driving to make the minor MPG boost worth it for the money being spent on modifications ;)

I would recommend a high-flow, keep the air and your exhaust tips a little cleaner. I'm running cat-less and it smells and I'm constantly cleaning my chrome tips :rotfl:

owens91 08-26-2014 11:20 AM

I did this mod and I'd had no issues. It sounds a bit nice combined with the zzp downpipe. I got the of emulator so no codes. I did notice slight better mileage and more responsive

schroederchevelle 08-28-2014 09:01 AM

Where can I get the emulator at?