Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   2 Chamber Mufflers vs Straight Pipes (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/2-chamber-mufflers-vs-straight-pipes-47731/)

ShadyMC03 03-08-2014 02:58 PM

2 Chamber Mufflers vs Straight Pipes

So I recently bought some Pro Series 2 Chamber Mufflers that I plan on putting on before the summer. I currently have straight pipes on my 3.8 SS that I want to replace because of the "back-pressure" issue that alot of people are telling me about.

I took my car to my mechanic earlier and asked him what his thought were and he told me that the 2 chambers would be LOUDER than the straights which is what I kind of wanted to stay away from. The straights are loud already and drone really bad around 0-2000rpms. I do like the way the growl sounds with a slight push on the petal but otherwise, its kind of annoying.

I'm hoping that the 2 chambers will have a more muffled sound but still have a nice growl. Anyone have any experience with 2 chambers? Or any videos that give a good idea of what they sound like? Thanks in advance.

crazyzach722 03-08-2014 06:16 PM

What is the back pressure issue with straight piping them?

03SSLE 03-08-2014 06:22 PM

It really all depends on what the manufacturer was going after. In general, a dual chambered muffler will be quieter versus a single chamber. However that will depend on design and materials used. Most dual chamber mufflers reverse the flow then reverse it again. This quiets the exhaust a bit (versus single chamber) before it exits the muffler. How quiet depends on the type of material used and how much as the insulating jacket.

ShadyMC03 03-09-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE (Post 602258)
It really all depends on what the manufacturer was going after. In general, a dual chambered muffler will be quieter versus a single chamber. However that will depend on design and materials used. Most dual chamber mufflers reverse the flow then reverse it again. This quiets the exhaust a bit (versus single chamber) before it exits the muffler. How quiet depends on the type of material used and how much as the insulating jacket.

Ah...I see. Thank you for explaining it like that. That makes alot of sense.:congrats:

STUMPMI 03-09-2014 04:29 PM

I have 2 chambered mufflers on mine.its a 3800 N/A..
But I also have tails and tips!... ITs not excessive... No droneing ... Yet when you hit the loud pedal..It doesn't sound like a rice burner...
Yet has a Great Tone that lets you know I'm to be looked at...:thumbsup:
Loud enough to be proud! Not quiet enough to to get lost in the crowd.:)

I am using Accelerator chambered muffler...
(Res delete)

ShadyMC03 03-09-2014 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI (Post 602428)
I have 2 chambered mufflers on mine.its a 3800 N/A..
But I also have tails and tips!... ITs not excessive... No droneing ... Yet when you hit the loud pedal..It doesn't sound like a rice burner...
Yet has a Great Tone that lets you know I'm to be looked at...:thumbsup:
Loud enough to be proud! Not quiet enough to to get lost in the crowd.:)

I am using Accelerator chambered muffler...
(Res delete)

And that's exactly what I'm looking for. I also deleted my stock res and replaced it with a hi-flow one. I do have to get some tips as well. I'm still using the stock ones. Any suggestions on some good tips?