Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   04 3800 ss i wana do an exhaust what kind should i do (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/04-3800-ss-i-wana-do-exhaust-what-kind-should-i-do-33055/)

mikemollic 01-01-2012 12:58 AM

04 3800 ss i wana do an exhaust what kind should i do

i have just a k/n cold air intake on the car no and its not s/c so the cold air makes all the sound it sounds good but i wan a better sound and more power also

The_Maniac 01-01-2012 03:13 PM

You have a lot of options for power and sound.
- Front ZZP Plog to reduce restrictions
- ZZP DownPipe and high flow Cat
- Headers
- Resonator delete
- After market mufflers

I'm running a PLOG, 2.5" ZZP Stainless down pipe and a resonator delete (the delete was because I got tired of after market ones blowing baffles on me, but had a small change in sound, but nothing big IMO).

ZIPPY02 01-01-2012 03:49 PM

You might look into having an exhaust cut out installed. Can give you some great sound and extra power for little money spent. We pulled 30 more H.P. on the dyno with the cut out open on a built motor.

03JGMonte 01-01-2012 04:14 PM

Cutouts help a lot on built motors I've seen

I'm running res delete, custom down pipe & 2.5 in pipe into borla mufflers soon

mikemollic 01-01-2012 10:35 PM

on ur guys monte's
is the intake louder then the exhaust it is on mine so i that the main reason to do this and i was thinning of doing straight pipes from the cat's 2 borla mufflers or a a borla system from the cat;s back what do u guys think

ZIPPY02 01-01-2012 11:30 PM

Well my exhaust is louder than my intake, never hear my intake so very much, but then I have a lot going on under the hood.
In my opinion you will need a larger diameter exhaust system from the down pipe back to really notice a significant sound difference.Anything else is going to a marginal sound change, spend a few extra dollars and make it worth the time and effort and get a noticable sound difference. Inquire at a local performance or quality exhaust shop and ask them about what I'm saying, then you don't have to take my word on it. As far as the actual muffler's go and your final selection Borla or who ever it's what you like hearing, to listen to some tones you can go to the Magnaflow Website and perhaps others and listen to muffler sound clips. I ended up with Magnaflow, has the tones I like. good luck, let us know how things are developing...

Magnaflow Video "2006 Impala SS"

Mr.Monte 01-01-2012 11:41 PM

ive got a 3800 s/c and im searching all over to find a good exhaust system that makes it sound mean but not too loud

mikemollic 01-01-2012 11:48 PM

well this will be done in the summer so plenty of time to find exactly what i wana do

mikemollic 01-02-2012 12:01 AM

they don't have an 04 monte on the site and i just got find the right exhaust to make my v6 sound mean and angry

ZIPPY02 01-02-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikemollic (Post 398039)
they don't have an 04 monte on the site and i just got find the right exhaust to make my v6 sound mean and angry

No but they have the Impala with the 3800, essentially the same sound. Look at Glass Paks or a Cherry Bomb muffler set up if you dont want to go full out on a new exhaust. Your Monte will sound pretty bad with one of them set up's. Take your time something will come together for you. Good luck

Here is my Monte and it's exhaust cut out open and closed. Magnaflow exhaust

Turbocharged 2002 Monte Carlo SS exhaust cutout - YouTube