Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

please help ping identification

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Default please help ping identification

ok so i made this great blueprint of an exhaust and pinpointed where the ping noise is coming from. it happens when im at a stoplight and drive threws. it also happens when i turn the car off. it happens every 10 to 20 seconds. and b4 anyone says i ran it really hard, it happens every time. thankyou

Attached Thumbnails please help ping identification-exhaust.jpg  
Old 02-21-2010, 07:12 PM

so my question is what is that part???

Old 02-21-2010, 07:19 PM

That's the resonator!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:35 PM

do those get clogged? how much does one cost?

Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Old 02-21-2010, 07:59 PM

No way will a resonator get plugged up to impede exhaust flow- they're designed similar to a glasspack- a big wide open tube about the same size as your exhaust piping with a bigger outer shell and dampening material inside.

The thing in front of that- the cat gets pretty hot and can get clogged. because its more of a honeycomb mesh design.

My cars ping when they're cooling down too I always just figured it was the cat. Not real sure what exhactly causes it though.

This is what most look like inside:

This is what the inside of the cat looks like:

Obviously nothing is going to make it through the cat big enough to get lodged in the resonator. As far as getting plugged up from carbon- if the holes in the resonator get plugged, the exhaust note will change (because by not letting air in the outer chamber esentially would be like deleting it with a piece of straight pipe), but its not going to stop exhaust flow- and I don't see how it would cause pinging.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 02-21-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 PM

thanks well i never had this problem till i got a new exhaust like 4 months ago, from the dealer.
du dun dunnn
my old one was rusted.
so anyways im not sure if they messed up the install or what.
anyways the goodwrench place i use to take it to closed, and my warrantys up.
i understand it should ping very quietly, but this is loud and embarasing, and when the car is on.

it deffinatly sounds like its coming from the resonator.

so its a bolt on, no welding involved. or should i take it to a muffler shop.

i want to run duals anyways, not sure if i should just wait it out or fix it.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 PM

It's interior can become dislodge and rattle due to the exhaust gases flowing through it, causing the noises. BTW, I've seen a clogged resonator (believe it or not) due to a cat busting it's innards and the guts getting hung at the res. The res and cat would glow cherry red when the engine WAS able to run.

Last edited by Wilco; 02-21-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 PM

its really not that bad, but i know its not right. i just dont know any good muffler shops around my area. i used to go to one but they closed up due to the economy. so are there welds on my exhaust or is it all bolts and clamps. my buddys got a lift at his dads. maybe ill mess with it there. he can weld.

still not sure i might just rip it all of and go magnaflow on everything. i hate to waste a 4 month old exhaust but its obviously junk anyways. its still shiney lol. and it costed GM about 800$. lol wish i could have talked the tech into ordering me a proformance cat back for that price.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:48 PM

BTW, I've seen a clogged resonator (believe it or not) due to a cat busting it's innards and the guts getting hung at the res. The res and cat would glow cherry red when the engine WAS able to run.
That would suck!

so its a bolt on, no welding involved. or should i take it to a muffler shop.
The whole catback is bolted on at the rear of the cat- between it and the resonator. Maybe you could unbolt that connection, drop the catback down and see if you can see anything- maybe a weld is coming apart or something- I can't think of anything that would cause a very loud ping every 10 seconds or so.

Quick Reply: please help ping identification