Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   So i got my Touch screen stereo now i need help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/so-i-got-my-touch-screen-stereo-now-i-need-help-38013/)

16With01MonteSS 07-28-2012 08:50 PM

So i got my Touch screen stereo now i need help

Sorry for all the questions lately guys i appreciate everyone who has answered me and helped... But how hard is it to install a touchscreen stereo i already have a aftermarket and i have some knowledge on how to do it but not completely sure. Will i just have to follow my old cords and it will be easier with the help of my grandfather who is good with cars? or shall i take it in and get it done for 70$ at a local store.

DE02Carlo 07-28-2012 08:55 PM

I went by a stereo store to price one and on top of the cost of the unit I needed about $250 worth of adaptors. One because I have OnStar...

01 Monte SS 07-28-2012 09:19 PM

$70 doesn't sound too bad.. does that included new harnesses/adapters/etc.? If so I'd say do it.. I spent about $70 on the harness and dash piece and did it myself but I don't think stereos are too terribly hard.

$250 seems crazy lol. I had onstar too but I removed the box :thumbsup:

16With01MonteSS 07-28-2012 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo (Post 481959)
I went by a stereo store to price one and on top of the cost of the unit I needed about $250 worth of adaptors. One because I have OnStar...

i also have onstar but i but the adaptor with my first aftermarket stereo for like 125 just for the adaptor to stop onstar so im all set on that luckily!

16With01MonteSS 07-28-2012 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS (Post 481963)
$70 doesn't sound too bad.. does that included new harnesses/adapters/etc.? If so I'd say do it.. I spent about $70 on the harness and dash piece and did it myself but I don't think stereos are too terribly hard.

$250 seems crazy lol. I had onstar too but I removed the box :thumbsup:

no i can actaully reuse the harnesses and antenna adapter from my other stereo.. so its just 70 for install..

zipper 07-28-2012 09:39 PM

I would just do it myself. If you have all of the adaptors and everything, then you should be fine. What are you worried about with the install?

16With01MonteSS 07-28-2012 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by zipper (Post 481969)
I would just do it myself. If you have all of the adaptors and everything, then you should be fine. What are you worried about with the install?

not knowing how to doit or messing it up -_-

03JGMonte 07-28-2012 10:07 PM

Its pretty easy just match wire to wire

01 Monte SS 07-28-2012 10:15 PM

You can easily find the wire diagrams online with a little searching if you no longer have the packaging from the wire harness. Other wise just do one wire at a time from the old kit to the new and match the wires :thumbsup: Most headunits say what each color goes to right on them.

lougreen03 07-29-2012 02:51 AM

Its not too hard if you have a little ability. If you do it yourself make sure before you start that you match up all the wires and know where everything hooks up. Then take it one wire at a time. Also make sure you tape everything so you don't short it out or start a electrical fire.