Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Service battery charging system (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/service-battery-charging-system-60208/)

bigmo421 09-30-2018 01:45 PM

Service battery charging system

My 07 with the 3.5 is having some issues.

So sorry for this but I am at a TOTAL loss here.

A month ago, my car would just click. Just like a dead battery. Well got a jump and it didn't even take any juice from their vehicle. Just clicks. I ended up holding it to where it starts to turn over for 30 seconds and it fired up.

Got the car home, and put a used starter in it. Starts first crank again. Shortly after it said service charging system. Okay, thats odd? I ended up getting a used alternator and put it in. No change.

So I run the codes 0622 was the code for a terminal f. I replaced both the positive and negative terminals to no avail. I then went ahead and got a battery and put it in.

Guess what? No change. I am not happy, and battery volts are saying 12 or so. Same when I tested the alternator. The kicker is the car has 115K miles and the other alternator and battery said the same thing.

If anyone has a idea let me know. I am stuck on having a bad wire or cable but really I feel like I tried almost everything it could be.

drivernumber3 09-30-2018 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by bigmo421 (Post 714282)
My 07 with the 3.5 is having some issues.

So sorry for this but I am at a TOTAL loss here.

A month ago, my car would just click. Just like a dead battery. Well got a jump and it didn't even take any juice from their vehicle. Just clicks. I ended up holding it to where it starts to turn over for 30 seconds and it fired up.

Got the car home, and put a used starter in it. Starts first crank again. Shortly after it said service charging system. Okay, thats odd? I ended up getting a used alternator and put it in. No change.

So I run the codes 0622 was the code for a terminal f. I replaced both the positive and negative terminals to no avail. I then went ahead and got a battery and put it in.

Guess what? No change. I am not happy, and battery volts are saying 12 or so. Same when I tested the alternator. The kicker is the car has 115K miles and the other alternator and battery said the same thing.

If anyone has a idea let me know. I am stuck on having a bad wire or cable but really I feel like I tried almost everything it could be.

12 Volts is to little it needs to be 14.8 or so. Recheck and clean all the grounds. That ground is a big deal. Personally I never go used on functioning parts, Only trim parts. I will put on rebuilt stuff.
If the Alternator was bad it probably took the battery with it. That's usually what they do.
My battery was 3 years old and i replaced it this summer it had a little bulge in the case and they were running a special on ACDelco bats. so I got a new one. Back in the 60's and 70's I used alot of used parts but today even the new stuff can be junk, so I want to be able to get a replacement if possible.
Hope you figure it out.

bigmo421 09-30-2018 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by drivernumber3 (Post 714284)
12 Volts is to little it needs to be 14.8 or so. Recheck and clean all the grounds. That ground is a big deal. Personally I never go used on functioning parts, Only trim parts. I will put on rebuilt stuff.
If the Alternator was bad it probably took the battery with it. That's usually what they do.
My battery was 3 years old and i replaced it this summer it had a little bulge in the case and they were running a special on ACDelco bats. so I got a new one. Back in the 60's and 70's I used alot of used parts but today even the new stuff can be junk, so I want to be able to get a replacement if possible.
Hope you figure it out.

Well its hard, I tried two seperate batteries in it. The original alternator has 116k, and used one 200K. Did same issues still after a replacement alternator and two batteries. I could clean the posts and the ground wires. Not really sure where to turn

Malcolm Fay 10-01-2018 09:37 PM

Was she running when you measured voltages?