General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Restoration: Possible new project 99 SS

Old 12-05-2018, 08:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Actually Dean, I would consider yours a "Tribute Car" or "Themed Car". As long as you don't try to pass it off as "oh this was factory" when it really wasn't, no issues. But too many people put some NASCAR stickers on the car and try to pass it off as something it's not to either make a sale OR up talk the price. That is what drives me crazy. I'm willing to assume *IF* you ever sold your Monte in it's customized condition, you would not say "oh this is how it came from the factory".

It's too easy to take advantage of someone because they don't know what they are looking at.

I added an oil cap that said "SS" on my Monte and a friend accused me of trying to false badge my Monte as a SS because he was unaware GM made a v6 SS. I told him no false badging on my car, I did not set the standard, but mine is a legit SS from the factory, per my VIN. I'm not into badging a car as something it isn't.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:39 AM

Now on that "SS" up there.. Whats that body kit? The guy's by me has the same body kit and same SS looking letters..

Im starting to wonder if this was like a 3rd party aftermarket kit or something.. Ive seen several of these SS 5th gens that look exactly the same, too similar for this to be coincidence.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
It's too easy to take advantage of someone because they don't know what they are looking at.
It's amazing what even a few minutes of research can do - for both buyers AND sellers. Take advantage of the biggest tool you have right in front of your face - the internet. And don't just believe everything that's in front of your face. Some people are extremely gullible.

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Now on that "SS" up there.. Whats that body kit? The guy's by me has the same body kit and same SS looking letters..

Im starting to wonder if this was like a 3rd party aftermarket kit or something.. Ive seen several of these SS 5th gens that look exactly the same, too similar for this to be coincidence.
Could be. Just like those 06-07 Nascar editions in the other active thread going right now. Bottom line is it's still not a true SS, by GM, from the factory - I think that's the main point we're trying to get across here.

And I can't seem to find that body kit. It looks bloated, not like any I can find online right now.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 12-06-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:45 AM

In the case of the OP, I'm not sure it's worth it to really spend much time researching anything though, it's just a $600 car. As long as it runs/drives and has a legitimate title, it wouldnt matter if they put Z28 stickers all over it, lol.

To the OP - only thing I'd be careful of is putting too much money into it. 5th gens are at rock bottom prices nowadays, so I'd assume every penny put into it is gone forever.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 12-06-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Actually Dean, I would consider yours a "Tribute Car" or "Themed Car". As long as you don't try to pass it off as "oh this was factory" when it really wasn't, no issues. But too many people put some NASCAR stickers on the car and try to pass it off as something it's not to either make a sale OR up talk the price. That is what drives me crazy. I'm willing to assume *IF* you ever sold your Monte in it's customized condition, you would not say "oh this is how it came from the factory".

I added an oil cap that said "SS" on my Monte and a friend accused me of trying to false badge my Monte as a SS because he was unaware GM made a v6 SS. I told him no false badging on my car, I did not set the standard, but mine is a legit SS from the factory, per my VIN. I'm not into badging a car as something it isn't.
I do have a Story Board for the Car and I show the start of the Mods I have done and the end result. This year I was stunned that I won some trophies for my efforts, at two big Car shows. I have not tried to sell it because I don't think it would bring anything anyway, like bumpin said. I would really like to have my 1969 Chevelle SS back that I had when it was new. But that's a pipe dream. Hopefully I will have a few more years to play with this one. There is a fellow locally who has a Z-34 99 Monte in Black that has had it on Craigslist for 2500 but has not sold it.

Here a Carshow pic with the Story Board.

They even let me park in the show by the real nice Cars.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
In the case of the OP, I'm not sure it's worth it to really spend much time researching anything though, it's just a $600 car.
This is true. I could see if it was up for $16k.

I don't mean to beat my point into the ground but I'm getting it across for sake of misinformation since a lot of people believe and run with everything in front of them.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:32 PM
1 Year Member

I trust you fellows faaaaar more than the seller, and all research proves you fellows to be correct, and the seller to be wrong, so I will not be pursuing the project any further, my apologies if I offended anyone! I do try to do diligent research. I never have and do not claim to be an expert. I figure you guys know better than me !

Old 12-10-2018, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Skatulaki
I trust you fellows faaaaar more than the seller, and all research proves you fellows to be correct, and the seller to be wrong, so I will not be pursuing the project any further, my apologies if I offended anyone! I do try to do diligent research. I never have and do not claim to be an expert. I figure you guys know better than me !
Curious why you'd abandon it just because the seller put some SS stickers on it? If the condition is pretty good, it's drives, and has a legitimate title, sounds like a good deal for $600.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The "SS" was probably was a dealer option. I'd be willing to bet the title labels it a Z34 though.

The gfx look like a Razzi kit.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:37 PM
1 Year Member

Curious why you'd abandon it just because the seller put some SS stickers on it? If the condition is pretty good, it's drives, and has a legitimate title, sounds like a good deal for $600.
I'm a fan of many cars, Dodges, Jeeps, Mustangs, Camaro's, Oldsmobile, Monte SS's, the list goes on, but I'm not a real expert! At the time I made that decision I got rear ended in my Jeep Cherokee ( shown in a couple pictures) and while it wasn't seriously damaged I did get a $1000, and was looking for something else I might like, of which that 99 sparked some interest as well as a 2001 Cherokee with less miles and a blown head gasket, and a 98 BMW 5 speed Convertible that needed a clutch.
I've learned not to buy anything in a rush and fortunately so! I decided against the 99 because its not a "real SS" I would only want a "real SS". I also "had" a girlfriend at the time who didn't have wheels, so I thought I would get the 01 Cherokee, and let her have mine after I fixed the head gasket. However she does not deserve the efforts I put forth for her and I broke up with her. The Beemer would have been a great buy but it was "Red" and I hate Red cars and trucks, every ticket I ever got was driving a red vehicle.
SO ! I decided to keep my $1000 for now, keep my $1600 Christmas bonus, let ex-girlfriend take the bus! And Re-think my options since landlord during this period of time has decided to sell the property, and would probably not look favorably upon a second vehicle undergoing a top end. So I'm going to concentrate the money on getting #1749 up and running in case I have to move.

Last edited by The_Maniac; 12-16-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Restoration: Possible new project 99 SS