Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Performance upgrades for monte 01 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/performance-upgrades-monte-01-a-60743/)

01monte_project 04-25-2019 10:58 AM

Performance upgrades for monte 01

Ok I bought a 2001 Monte Carlo to complete my collection of Chevy Monte Carlo now I’m working on performance I would like to get sum ideas and options on performance upgrades I got a k&n air filter on it and that’s about it i just want more power so if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

wht02monte 04-25-2019 11:41 AM

Which engine you got?

nitehawkjcb 04-25-2019 12:09 PM

More power requires a decent investment. Boost is the obvious answer, if you have a 3.8 engine then a top swap is viable and the cheapest route to take. It takes the heads, LIM, supercharger and more from a supercharged 3.8. If you want big power, turbo is the way to go, but that's a lot more expensive. Not to mention you will end up needing a transmission upgrade.

If you have a 3.4... There's not too much you can do for cheap.

01monte_project 04-25-2019 02:03 PM

Engine

Originally Posted by wht02monte (Post 717204)
Which engine you got?

I have the 3.4L

bumpin96monte 04-25-2019 02:04 PM

Without knowing which engine - weight reduction is a good performance upgrade and can be done to any vehicle. Certainly the extreme cases can get expensive, but there's plenty you can do for free. Bonus is that itll keep the trans alive longer.

01monte_project 04-25-2019 02:07 PM

The thing is I want to make the most out of the 3.4L because it’s the only Monte I have that’s not a SS so I want to push it and make it special ,I’m not concerned about the price I just want to know what can I do to make a beast

bumpin96monte 04-25-2019 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 01monte_project (Post 717209)
The thing is I want to make the most out of the 3.4L because it’s the only Monte I have that’s not a SS so I want to push it and make it special ,I’m not concerned about the price I just want to know what can I do to make a beast

If the goal is to just make it as powerful as the SS of the year, that's not a particularly difficult task as its only 20 crank horsepower difference. There are 60 degree mods available to get you some power. Below is a link to the main 60 degree V6 site I've seen for mods (other than Milzy who has seemed to have quite a lot of bad reviews):

https://wot-tech.com/gm-60v6.html#2

Like the 3800, the 3400 is pretty limited to what it can do NA. Not sure where the heads / cam 3400s max out, but the 3800s usually end up in the very low 200s for whp. Granted that's also with significant expense and thousands of dollars. If your idea of a beast is much higher than that, you'll be better off with boost or spray to get you the power you want.

Lastly, there's always the engine swap option to a L67. Even bone stock, it starts +60 hp from where you are now, and can easily be pushed to double that.

01monte_project 04-25-2019 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 717210)
If the goal is to just make it as powerful as the SS of the year, that's not a particularly difficult task as its only 20 crank horsepower difference. There are 60 degree mods available to get you some power. Below is a link to the main 60 degree V6 site I've seen for mods (other than Milzy who has seemed to have quite a lot of bad reviews):

https://wot-tech.com/gm-60v6.html#2

Like the 3800, the 3400 is pretty limited to what it can do NA. Not sure where the heads / cam 3400s max out, but the 3800s usually end up in the very low 200s for whp. Granted that's also with significant expense and thousands of dollars. If your idea of a beast is much higher than that, you'll be better off with boost or spray to get you the power you want.

Lastly, there's always the engine swap option to a L67. Even bone stock, it starts +60 hp from where you are now, and can easily be pushed to double that.

thats actually a good idea but if I put a turbo kit on the 3400 engine will it blow up ? I don’t want to use noz because that will definitely blow it up.

wht02monte 04-25-2019 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 717210)
(other than Milzy who has seemed to have quite a lot of bad reviews):

I gotta speak up for Mr Mike Milzy.. Ive dealt with him many times and hes always done good work. Hes even called me a couple times to double check on things I ordered or to make sure everything I wanted was exact.. He just might take a little longer than some may like..

bumpin96monte 04-25-2019 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 01monte_project (Post 717211)
thats actually a good idea but if I put a turbo kit on the 3400 engine will it blow up ? I don’t want to use noz because that will definitely blow it up.

If you dont trust yourself to use restraint on how much nitrous you hit it with, then skip the turbo kit too. Its equally as easy to crank it to 11 and blow the engine up.

Turbo kits have been run on 3400s for years with no issues, but like with nitrous, you can't just whack it with a 400 shot and think it's going to last.