Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Onstar Upgrade to Digital (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/onstar-upgrade-digital-27726/)

70monte1 07-03-2011 04:40 PM

Thanks for the info, I may need it someday.

70monte1 07-23-2011 08:37 PM

It looks like I may have to take the car back to the dealer to look at the Onstar system. I keep getting the red light on the mirror indicating that something in the Onstar is not working right.

I got a Onstar tech by pressing the onstar button on the mirror but he said I would have to take it to the dealer for them to look at.

When it happened the first time, I unplugged the antenna connection on the back window and plugged it back in and the light went back to green. Today it happened again after I started the car and I again unplugged the antenna connection and plugged it back in and the light again went back to green. The connection feels tight so I'm not sure what to think. All of the connections on the Onstar module itself are plugged in and tight.

The only thing that doesn't seem quite right is that the new antenna rocks back and forth in the mount even though the screw is tightend all of the way. I don't know if it's suppsed to be that way or not. The original one did not do that. I wiggled it back and forth while the car was running and the light on the mirror did not turn red. It figures something had to screw up.

Wayne

MonteMan92 07-28-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 70monte1 (Post 344863)
It looks like I may have to take the car back to the dealer to look at the Onstar system. I keep getting the red light on the mirror indicating that something in the Onstar is not working right.

I got a Onstar tech by pressing the onstar button on the mirror but he said I would have to take it to the dealer for them to look at.

When it happened the first time, I unplugged the antenna connection on the back window and plugged it back in and the light went back to green. Today it happened again after I started the car and I again unplugged the antenna connection and plugged it back in and the light again went back to green. The connection feels tight so I'm not sure what to think. All of the connections on the Onstar module itself are plugged in and tight.

The only thing that doesn't seem quite right is that the new antenna rocks back and forth in the mount even though the screw is tightend all of the way. I don't know if it's suppsed to be that way or not. The original one did not do that. I wiggled it back and forth while the car was running and the light on the mirror did not turn red. It figures something had to screw up.

Wayne

Sorry to hear your having problems. Mine so far has been ok. The antenna on mine also moves. I can fold it flush with the back window. It was like that before the upgrade. I hope you can get your problem figured out. I am hoping mine keeps working good like it has been.

70monte1 07-29-2011 10:59 PM

My antenna also will fold up but that is not the movement that I'm talking about. If you look where the antenna is mounted, it looks like its connected to a metal piece inside the plastic mount. The metal piece is what moves on mine so that when my antenna is sticking up, I can wiggle the antenna back and forth inside the plastic mount.

I have not driven the car in about a week so I don't know what the onstar is doing or if the red light will come back on. I did use it to make a call the other day and I like the hands free use of it. I used about half of the free 60 minutes.

If you can look at your antenna again and tell me if it seems to be firm inside the base or if the metal piece inside the base moves when you move the antenna side to side.

MonteMan92 08-01-2011 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by 70monte1 (Post 346936)
My antenna also will fold up but that is not the movement that I'm talking about. If you look where the antenna is mounted, it looks like its connected to a metal piece inside the plastic mount. The metal piece is what moves on mine so that when my antenna is sticking up, I can wiggle the antenna back and forth inside the plastic mount.

I have not driven the car in about a week so I don't know what the onstar is doing or if the red light will come back on. I did use it to make a call the other day and I like the hands free use of it. I used about half of the free 60 minutes.

If you can look at your antenna again and tell me if it seems to be firm inside the base or if the metal piece inside the base moves when you move the antenna side to side.

My antenna seems pretty solid. Maybe that's the cause of your problem. I hope that it is something simple for you.

70monte1 08-02-2011 05:19 AM

Thanks for looking. I haven't driven the car this past week so I don't know if it's still doing it. I bet that is what the issue is though.

Wayne

DE02Carlo 05-28-2012 07:36 PM

I was just going to get mine activated too. Now I have to check into the upgrade. What all does it offer over the existing non-digital system?

lougreen03 05-28-2012 08:54 PM

I don't think it offers anything more there is just no analog service anymore so if you want onstar you have to go digital.

MonteMan92 05-28-2012 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo (Post 462337)
I was just going to get mine activated too. Now I have to check into the upgrade. What all does it offer over the existing non-digital system?

I don't think there is really anything different when you go to digital. If there is anything different I am not aware. It is worth it in my opinion to get the upgrade done. I didn't like the fact that my car had a feature that didn't work so I got mine upgraded and I have had no issues in almost a year. I love the hands free calling and the remote door unlock. Friends think it is cool when they ride with me lol:thumbsup:

70monte1 05-29-2012 02:08 PM

I'm still having occasional issues with my upgrade. The dealer replaced the outside antenna but that didn't fix the problem. After a vacation trip last September where the light kept going red, I used some pliers on the cable end that plugs into the back part of the window antenna and had no more issues until about March of this year where the light turned red one evening going out to eat. I did the plier thing again and so far it has stayed green but I have not driven the car much since then. I only have about a month left on my warranty so I need to get this fixed but everytime before when I took the car in, even with the red light showing, the dealer could not seem to figure out what was wrong.

I may not even renew my subscription with this problem being ongoing. It has to be a connection issue because if it was the module, it would seem that the problem would be there all of the time. I'm pretty frustrated with the whole deal. Maybe this was going on for the original owner's and is why all of the wires to the original module were disconnected.

Wayne