Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   No Luck Replacing Turn Signal Switch! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/no-luck-replacing-turn-signal-switch-7372/)

2000LS 01-12-2008 08:50 PM

RE: No Luck Replacing Turn Signal Switch!

what was the original problem?

all lights except headlight working normally?

RickCoMatic 01-12-2008 08:56 PM

The original problem was that something in the switch was catching and the car wouldn't switch from High to Low Beams. The High Beams were stuck on and you'd have to work the Switch many, many times to dim the lights. Then, thehre was the problem of the lights not switching from Hi to Lo and being Off ... like they are right now.

Something in the old switch was "Catching" ... this used switch is smooth.
I don't know if the mechanism to switch from Hi to Lo is in the Switch Body or external.

I'm hoping its External and easily replaced.

2000LS 01-12-2008 09:28 PM

i'd be suspect of the 'new' switch. if you can connect your old switch and the high or low beams work at all, your 'new' switch is worse than your old switch.

if you want to do more testing.......

with the headlights turned on test at the connector for the multifunction switch that i'm sure youre familiar with by now... a volt meter or test light would both work, if you cant make a connection i like to use sewing 't-pins' to reach into the connector, but you can use whatever works. anyway...

testing with the headlights on and everything connected, on the switch side of the harness check for power on terminal: C3 a yellow wire, C4 a brown wire, and D5 a pink wire.

the yellow wire is the incoming power to the dimmer switch, brown is the low beam output, pink is the high beam output.

my guess is that you'll have power on the yeloow wire and not on the pink or brown wire. if this is the case you got a bad switch.

RickCoMatic 01-12-2008 10:30 PM

I'd rather have to change the firewall side Plugs and Wires; again.
Damn.
I thought I was doing good just getting the Old Switch out and the replacement Switch in.
It took a big effort.
I'm getting too old and I'm way to big to be squirming-in under the dash.
They don't make that space for guys who shop at Big and Tall and ain't tall!

It's a good fun thinking you saved some money, again. But, now I have to bring this damn Swaitch back to the boneyard and get my money back.
Oh, yea ... AFTER I crawl up under the NOT for XXL Dash and undo the replacement switch and put MY switch back-in to have SOME lights.
I'd like to get to a point where I don't have anything to do but drive this car for a couple of days ... that would be nice!

2000SS ... thanks for Wiring scheme.
I'l be under there with my Test Light soon enough!

RickCoMatic 01-13-2008 02:29 PM

2000SS ... That's used switch from the boneyard is definitely bad. I did the Test Light Check and there's no juice going back to the Harness. So, I pulled the boneyard switch and swapped-in the Original one and got my Low Beams back.

Thanks for the scheme. I did the sewing needles trick and just poked them into the wires but not out the other side. Sort of like giving the wires an I-V injection.
Back to square one.
At least I have Low Beams to get me around until I get this little mess figured out.

Somebody has been in here before me. There are a couple of aftermarket wire ties still wrapped around some wiring down in there. I know I didn't put them there.

2000LS 01-13-2008 02:41 PM

hehe, the pins/needles are to reach into the connectors to contact the terminals... but stabbing the harness of a bad switch doesnt matter much anyway since it needs to be replaced.

the factory does use a couple of aftermarket lookin wire ties in there.

ASSUMING i have the right part number gmpartdirect is alot cheaper

GM PART # 88964580
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $430.01
OUR PRICE: $223.61

RickCoMatic 01-13-2008 03:08 PM

I have an Extended Warranty. I'm bringing this baby in to see if its covered by the Warranty. I put everything back the way it belongs ... except for the trims pieces because I want to be a nice guy and save somebody the time of having to remove them to access this damn switch.

If I get quoted a zillion dollars to have this free-ginn switch replaced ... I'll probably buy a new for the nice red bottom line price + shipping you have to offer!!!

RickCoMatic 01-13-2008 11:05 PM

2000LS

Do you have the Part Number for that Multifunction Switch for the 2004 Monte Carlo LS ... The switch that does NOT have Cruise Control on the stalk. My Cruise Control is on the Steering Wheel. I used that Part Number you gave me and it came back -- WITH Cruise Control on the stalk.

2000LS 01-13-2008 11:16 PM

that sucks... less controls, more money

2000LS 01-13-2008 11:16 PM

GM PART # 88964581
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $468.52
OUR PRICE: $243.63