Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   no cat affects? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/no-cat-affects-15255/)

07supersport 08-07-2009 05:14 PM

no cat affects?

Hi all im new to the site and i figured id jump right in. I have a 2007 monte carlo SS with the 5.3 and my little brother has an 06 monte with the 3.5. Im hoping to sell mine soon (and get a camaro :)) but anyways both our cars have cold air intakes and bolt on exhaust kits. My question is, beyond the fact that it illegal, would we gain anything by cutting off our cats and running straight pipe? We've been told that we'll see worse gas mileage? but it seems as if the cars would breath better and not having a cat would free up more power? Please give us yall's thoughts.. also my little brother's car has the magnaflow exhaust and it sounds good for a v6 but what sound affects would he have without a cat.. Would it be ricer like?

thanks alot guys

Draciel 08-07-2009 05:41 PM

I'm not sure about any HP gains but no CAT increases air flow so your engine can breathe better. Having no CAT is illegal but I think you can get them hollowed out or something. I'd wait for other knowledgeable members to help you out.

skylark65 08-07-2009 08:55 PM

the only thing that i could think of causing worse milage after you lop off the cats is the O2 sensors not liking the extra emmissions, and they might make the car run lean / rich?
im pretty sure you could bypass / deleate the O2 sensors without much pain and suffering if they become a problem :)

07supersport 08-07-2009 09:27 PM

semi answered but would like more thoughts on it..

monte_man03 08-09-2009 04:33 PM

i jnst cut off the cat on my 03 monte with bolt on cat back exhaust its seems to me like i got a little horse power increase and my gas mileage is right about the same. depending on where the cat is you can hollow it out but mine was a pain so i just cut it out and welded stright pipe in there.

Budsjlm 08-09-2009 05:45 PM

hp gain will be minimal...it will be louder but id have to say if your doing anything get your self a high flow cat that way u'll get the little gain and still be legal

bumpin96monte 08-09-2009 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by skylark65 (Post 150186)
the only thing that i could think of causing worse milage after you lop off the cats is the O2 sensors not liking the extra emmissions, and they might make the car run lean / rich?
im pretty sure you could bypass / deleate the O2 sensors without much pain and suffering if they become a problem :)

Why would it change how the car runs? The pcm only uses the front O2 sensor for fueling adjustments, the rear is simply there to make sure the cat functioning.

skylark65 08-09-2009 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 150471)
Why would it change how the car runs? The pcm only uses the front O2 sensor for fueling adjustments, the rear is simply there to make sure the cat functioning.

really???? well, that just shows how much i know about cats, lol. almost all the ones ive had were hollowed out, but they were on older cars w/ primative electronics. heck, what you said clears up some questions of my own, lol.

07supersport 08-10-2009 08:34 PM

cool thanks alot guys. My brothers gonna do it but I think im enjoying my last week with my monte as I have a buyer coming from new jersey to pick it up on friday.