Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   New pcm/ video (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/new-pcm-video-27433/)

MAMONTE 04-11-2011 08:01 AM

New pcm/ video

Hi Everyone!

As many of you know, I have been waiting to install a can tunned PCM from Overkill Motorsports. Well I was able to do it this weekend.

Install was VERY simple, you literally go into the air box, unplug the old one, and plug in the new one. Re-install the airbox, and you are ready to play.

When I first started the car, it trew a security light, and a check engine light. Through a relearn procedure Mike told me about (which i'll post right below this paragraph) I was able to get the system to re-learn my key, which made the security light go out, and it hasnt come back since. :) The check engine light came on, just like Will at Overkill Motorsports said it would. Its a code for "crank positon not learned" so I have to take it to a dealer and have them do a crank relearn on the car. According to Will this is an easy thing to get done. But the car runs fine even with the code thrown. I will report back once I get the relearn done.

Here is the security relearn info:
For those vehicles that use a BCM, the BCM can learn the resistance value of the existing key by using the relearn process. In order for the vehicle to start, the BCM (as well as the Passkey module in other vehicles) must identify the resistor pellet in the key, then the BCM sends a password to the PCM. If this password matches the password stored in the PCM, the system enables fuel delivery. So you can see that if either the BCM or PCM are replaced, a relearn procedure is necessary. This same relearn procedure can be used if an ignition key with a different resistance value is used to replace the existing key. Before beginning the relearn, make sure there is a fully charged battery in the vehicle, and both the BCM and PCM are properly powered up and in communication with each other. Now you’re ready to initiate the relearn procedure.

1. First, insert the ignition key and turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (Do not start the engine). Leave the switch on for 11 minutes. The security light may flash or be on steady during this 11 minute period. Make sure the light is no longer on or flashing before proceeding to #2 .
2. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position (as in step #1) for 11 minutes again.
4. Turn the ignition switch off for another 30 seconds.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position for 11 minutes a third time.
6. Turn the ignition switch off for 30 seconds one final time.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position one final time and wait 30 seconds.
8. Attempt to start the engine. If the engine starts and runs normally, the relearn is complete. If the engine does not start, check for trouble codes and address them before attempting the relearn procedure again.

NOW, as for what the new PCM did. My tranny was slipping on sometimes from a stop light. It hasn't happend that much, but so far it hasn't done it at all (Will said it may fix that issue). The tranny shifts a little more firm on around town driving, and much firmer at WOT. The tranny also seems to hunt gears less, and shift points/ down shift points were changed. I can now be going 44 MPH, floor it and get a 1st gear down shift. Stock 35 MPH was the max speed for a 1st gear down shift. I can now be going 88MPH and floor it while getting a 2nd gear down shift, stock max speed was 78 MPH. Also 2nd gear now holds to 6300 RPM just like 1st gear. Stock 1st shifted at 6300 RPM and 2nd shifted at 5800 RPM. Now they are both 6300 RPM.

Aside from the shift points, I feel a noticeable difference in the way the car pulls. I believe Will, I think it really did add 3-5% WHP. Also, it has much more sensitive throttle response. Other things include: fans stay on after I turn the car off, and kick on sooner to keep engine cooler.

So far I am very pleased with the new PCM. I have done some HWY driving without putting my foot into it, and my gas mileage seems unaffected by it. (I am still getting 29-32 MPG HWY with cruise set at 72mph).

Now, here is a video for you all. Sorry for the bad quality, and for the camera being all over the place.

VID00009.mp4 video by MAMONTE2006 - Photobucket

I'll let you all know in a week or so how the relearn for the crank goes. :)

ChibiBlackSheep 04-11-2011 08:05 AM

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you :)

Teacher 04-11-2011 08:54 AM

That thing sounds great!!! Congrats :D :D

monte carlo 3831 04-11-2011 06:03 PM

pretty sweet Michael, might be my next best mod for my Monte!

also: Happy late Birthday Michael, sorry I missed saying that sooner Dude.....:cool:

Taz 04-11-2011 06:30 PM

Good to hear you finally got your PCM. The video sounded like fun to me. I hope the fun is many, and the speeding tickets are few.

Crusader SS 04-11-2011 06:34 PM

Very nice...:cool:... My tune was also done by Will and I absolutely love it...:D... Did you install a 180 degree thermo w/ fan re-configuration?... I did, and the difference is like night and day, always riding in the temp sweet spot... Also had my timing advanced 3 degrees, very nice, however I can only use hi-octane gas, oh well small price to pay for increased performance... Enjoy the re-newed ride...:D

Space 04-12-2011 04:07 AM

Hi `Michael,
Great Thread & thanks for sharing with your Monte Carlo Family...Glad to read that it was a good investment & better performance...

I couldn't watch the vid because PhotoBucket is doing maintenance, but I shall return to check it out..Happy miles 2 U :)

Photobucket Site Maintenance

http://pic.photobucket.com/logos/PbLogo.350.gif

Images and videos may continue to serve during this short maintenance.

MAMONTE 04-12-2011 08:01 AM

Thanks Everyone!

I did not add a 180 thermo, because the 06/07's come stock with a 185. And I went for the 87 octane tune (which still made a VERY noticable difference) Will recommended the 87 tune over the higher octane tune for what I was looking for. He said that he could tune it for premium 91 octance, BUT he said it would be 2-3 extra HP MAX. So with the amount of driving I do, I was happy to take on the 10 extra HP while still running regular gas. And the increased throttle response plus shift points alone make it a whole new animal. :D Great product!

I got the crank relearn done yesterday by Autoland right new door to my work. I just walked over and it was taken care of. Plus it was only 89.00 buck VS the 145.00 the dealer wanted. And its running AWESOME!!!! :D

zipper 04-14-2011 04:18 PM

Man, That's pretty cool that your Monte will do 60mph in first. Now you need a 0-60 video and compare it to Mike's :D

red04montels 04-14-2011 04:50 PM

grr, this site maintenance is making me mad i want to see!!! hah