Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   New Owner, Plan to Sell, Several Questions (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/new-owner-plan-sell-several-questions-59904/)

Casey Wigginton 07-07-2018 07:58 AM

New Owner, Plan to Sell, Several Questions

1 Attachment(s)
I'm the new owner of a 2005 Monte Carlo SS. I got it from an active duty service member who spent a lot of time deployed. He isn't the original owner, and the previous owner was also deployed. As a result, it has 47k miles on it. I plan to sell it, but the owner had lost the title and is not willing to fill out the lost title paperwork to get a new one. It was all I could do to convince him to write up a bill of sale. I did verify with a supervisor at the DMV that he is indeed the person listed as the owner on the current title to the vehicle. I'm having to do a bonded title where I pay $150 for a three year bonded title, and then at the end of three years it becomes a regular title.

That process will take a few weeks, so I've got time to do some fixes on the car. I wanted to share what all is wrong with it and get your opinions on which of these things you would fix if you were me and planned to sell it.
- A/C blows hot
- No wrecks on the title history, but there was a light accident where it looks like the front bumper was hit and flexed it and has spider cracking in all the paint on it and also both fenders have a slight bend. Also has a scrape on the back bumper.
- One taillight has a small crack on the corner and allows moisture to get in.
- Gauge needles don't work, but the mileage and idiot lights do.
- Driver's window won't roll up and down. I can hear the motor turning but it sounds like something is off track.
- 1 missing center cap

So which of these would you fix before selling, and how much do you think I should ask for it? Thanks for all of your expert advice.

drivernumber3 07-07-2018 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Casey Wigginton (Post 712678)
I'm the new owner of a 2005 Monte Carlo SS. I got it from an active duty service member who spent a lot of time deployed. He isn't the original owner, and the previous owner was also deployed. As a result, it has 47k miles on it. I plan to sell it, but the owner had lost the title and is not willing to fill out the lost title paperwork to get a new one. It was all I could do to convince him to write up a bill of sale. I did verify with a supervisor at the DMV that he is indeed the person listed as the owner on the current title to the vehicle. I'm having to do a bonded title where I pay $150 for a three year bonded title, and then at the end of three years it becomes a regular title.

That process will take a few weeks, so I've got time to do some fixes on the car. I wanted to share what all is wrong with it and get your opinions on which of these things you would fix if you were me and planned to sell it.
- A/C blows hot
- No wrecks on the title history, but there was a light accident where it looks like the front bumper was hit and flexed it and has spider cracking in all the paint on it and also both fenders have a slight bend. Also has a scrape on the back bumper.
- One taillight has a small crack on the corner and allows moisture to get in.
- Gauge needles don't work, but the mileage and idiot lights do.
- Driver's window won't roll up and down. I can hear the motor turning but it sounds like something is off track.
- 1 missing center cap

So which of these would you fix before selling, and how much do you think I should ask for it? Thanks for all of your expert advice.

-Fix the A/C should blow cold!!
- Fixing this won't get you any more $$ No wrecks on the title history, but there was a light accident where it looks like the front bumper was hit and flexed it and has spider cracking in all the paint on it and also both fenders have a slight bend. Also has a scrape on the back bumper.
- Fix it with a clear adhesive of some sort. One taillight has a small crack on the corner and allows moisture to get in.
-That may be something you should repair check fuses and wiring on it. Gauge needles don't work, but the mileage and idiot lights do.
- I would get the window fix first thing someone will do is roll it down or try to. Driver's window won't roll up and down. I can hear the motor turning but it sounds like something is off track.
- Try ebay probably a $5.00 item. 1 missing center cap
Price is subject to clear title and how clean the car looks when the potential buyer try's it out.
In the test drive I make sure the thing starts, I see that it shifts well. I check all the fluids Trans( red) , Oil clean , Antifreeze, brakes, PS etc. I check the heater for noise and Hot and Cold A/C I even check the Air filter and this car might have a cabin filter too.

For pricing check the Kelly Blue book site and put in the info and that is a good source for pricing or you can check the Car Max folks also and see what you can get.

Your market is a High School or College Student. :thumbsup:

drivernumber3 07-07-2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Casey Wigginton (Post 712678)

That process will take a few weeks, so I've got time to do some fixes on the car. .

Here is something you can try depending on the State you live in.

But I would go back to the title holder and tell them that I was advised that if the new owner has and incident with the car and can't make restitution or the insurance becomes void the title holder could be responsible for the repairs of the cars involved, that you may have been in a wreck with. I was told this by the folks at the court house once and it shifted the previous owner to find the title.

I made it sound like I want to protect him.:nono: Something to consider!!