Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   7th Gen ('06-'07): Need help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/need-help-61393/)

Denarius23 12-16-2019 08:20 AM

Need help

I was driving my 2007 monte Carlo ss yesterday about 65 mph and it just died. Didn't hesitate or sputter like it was out of gas but it was low. And it it wouldn't start back up. It was just turning over. Battery seems to be fine. It's turning over at a normal speed but it won't crank. There is fuel in the rail.

06mistreSS 12-16-2019 08:46 AM

What's the car's mileage? Did you check the alternator specifically?

Steelbizkit 12-16-2019 08:40 PM

Any check engine light on before shut down? If not did you check fuel pressure with key on? If so what psi is it if not I'd start there.

Denarius23 12-17-2019 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS (Post 720383)
What's the car's mileage? Did you check the alternator specifically?

The mileage is around 132000. The alternator seemed fine.

Denarius23 12-17-2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Steelbizkit (Post 720389)
Any check engine light on before shut down? If not did you check fuel pressure with key on? If so what psi is it if not I'd start there.

No check engine lights. I checked for fuel in the rail by the pressure valve. There is fuel in the line but how much pressure im not sure. My remote start still works so there are currently no check engine lights

Steelbizkit 12-17-2019 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Denarius23 (Post 720402)
No check engine lights. I checked for fuel in the rail by the pressure valve. There is fuel in the line but how much pressure im not sure. My remote start still works so there are currently no check engine lights

Rent a fuel pressure tester from oreilly or autozone. If psi is to low you can have fuel but injectors will not fire fuel. Cant remember what the psi should be with key on/engine off but should be higher than 45 i think.

The_Maniac 12-17-2019 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Denarius23 (Post 720382)
It's turning over at a normal speed but it won't crank.

This statement does not make sense. If it is turning over, this means it is "cranking". It must crank to turn the fly wheel. You can have crank and not turning (which means the starter is engaging, attempting to crank, but the engine is seized, preventing it from turning over).

My remote start still works
So the car is successfully starting with the remote start? Just not the key? If so, you know you have air, fuel and spark. This is suggesting a problem with wiring, ignition switch or possibly the anti-theft system. I don't know about the 06/07 Montes, but in the 00-05, if the car is in a "theft" mode, turn the key to the on position and check if the word "security" is displaying anywhere. If so, at least with the earlier model, you have a passlock/anti-theft issue.

06mistreSS 12-19-2019 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Denarius23 (Post 720396)
The mileage is around 132000. The alternator seemed fine.

The scenario you described would normally be narrowed down to these first:

(1) Battery (including a bad battery connection or bad battery cables) > I can say it's amazing that what looks like a good battery connection can actually be the complete opposite and it's amazing how little corrosion can whack things up. It's always a good rule of thumb to start with the battery to assure you have good connections. Undo the positive and negative cables at the battery terminals, wire brush and apply cleaner to both the terminals and cable contacts and reinstall with some sealer to help assure a good connection and stop (or slow) corrosion from building up. It's also a good rule of thumb to keep the top of the battery clean because any dirt or debris around the terminals can slowly become conductive over time and that can actually drain the battery. I used to have occasional battery issues that slowly got worse over a several year period - it ended up being excessive corrosion and wear on the negative cable contact so the battery wasn't able to receive a proper charge when the car was on (and, yes, even with how meticulously clean I keep mine it was still an issue).
(2) Alternator
(3) Fuel pump
> Do you hear a buzzing sound upon your attempts to start? That buzzing sound is the fuel pump and if you don't hear it, it's probably not pumping.

If those have been confirmed okay, then there's also:

(4) Ignition system
(5) Speed system
(6) MAP sensor (air/fuel ratio)