Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Need Advice - looking at 99 Z34 (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/need-advice-looking-99-z34-11656/)

rj 12-30-2008 07:20 PM

RE: Need Advice - looking at 99 Z34

I think I'd go with the cars aren't selling advice. The dealer feels they have you over a barrel cause you're just about the only person interested in this car. They reasoning is if you want it, you'll pay our price.

Your choice but you could always wait a day (or two) and see if they call you at home? This will tell you the price can be negotiated, unlike what they want you to believe.

With our '03 Pace car replica, the Pontiac dealer said they wouldn't fix one thing on the car at first. Then the salesmanager asked what I wanted repaired? My dad & I walked outside and showed him the things we weren't happy with the car. Next I get told, "We'll fix those things but only if we can go the loan on the car. Cause we get a kickback from the bank if we go the loan."

I told them fine. Go for it.

They did fix the things I wanted repaired on the car. And they did not get to float the loan on the car. Soit was kind of a win/win situation on our part as far as I'm concerned.

Taz 12-30-2008 07:27 PM

If you're planning an L67 engine and tranny swap (that's the s/c 3800), I'd go for it. I think the car has the 3400 engine in it now, does it not? Personally, I had bad luck with the 3400 engine in my 1999 Grand Am GT. It had the tendency for the lower intake manifold to loosen and leak. But if you're planning an engine swap anyway, don't worry about it.

The repainted rear quarter could have been almost anything. Scratch and/or dent from a shopping cart, or an inconsiderate person opening their car door into the fender. Stuff like that.

If there's no rips or tears in the seats, and they fix the sunroof to your satisfaction, go for it.

In a side note, Chris (scc24540) did the L67 engine and tranny swap your considering in his 1997 Monte.

Cowboy6622 12-30-2008 07:38 PM

the 99 Z34 would have been a 3800

Taz 12-30-2008 07:42 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info Duane. I wasn't aware of that.

That adds to the sticker price right there. The 3800 engine has the reputation of being practically bullet proof. Proven to be a reliable engine. So I wouldn't worry about the 83k miles.

mrl390 12-30-2008 11:18 PM

Its not the engine Id be worried about because of the miles, its the transmission. Nevertheless 83000 miles is 83000 miles if it has a 3100, 3400, 3.4 or 3800. Its not that youshould be worried about it, its that the value of the cargoes down as the miles go up. When I KBBed my car when I got it, it was worth 5000. Once Ihit40,000 miles the value dropped significantly. Its down to 3575 now.

bowtie8_3 12-31-2008 09:12 AM

Well im going to go look at it again today.

I know the 3800 is a great engine, had a few of them on other cars and i know that the tranny is the weakpoint but from what my parents drove it, and i drove it it seemed to run and shift fine.....and i drove it hard. Brakes felt good no pulsing and at 90mph there was no shacking of any sort in the steering or brakes.........lol the salesman didnt tag along for the test drives [sm=gears.gif]

I am just really interested because none of the other Z34s ive looked at were so clean. The steering wheel has no signs of wear, the turn signal stock has all of the white lettering still, seats are very nice, door panels are spotless, headlines is clean and not falling down, carpet looks very clean with no wear and the trunk liner is spotless. The spare has never been used, all the bumper brackets, crashbars are factory, the machine faced wheels have no corosion on them, all factory glass and it looks like the alternator was changed thats it.

Id like to in the future swap a 3800SC into it and upgrade the suspension and brake parts but that may be a few years down the road....thats my dream plan.

Well im going to go look it over again, i was up most of last night trying to decide what to do.

AwesomeSS 12-31-2008 09:39 AM

One thing you have to look at is the economy. I am kinda in the same boat as you but I want an 04 or 05 SC SS Monte Carlo. KBB which has inflated prices and the dealerships believe that is what the cars are worth. Because of the present economy cars are worth a lot less than what KBB is saying. I was trying to trade in my 06 Mini Cooper S with only 14500 miles on it and on the average dealerships would only give me 14k, and the Mini is one of the very few cars that keeps their resale value. So, I am selling my Mini outright on ebay and going back to the dealership and hopefully I will get what I want to pay for it - 12k for an indimidator with 33k one owner car taken in at a Ford dealership as a trade-in for a used T-Bird. If the dealer really want’s to sell their car, they should come down a little on the price. You know it costs them money for that car to sit on their lot.

bowtie8_3 12-31-2008 10:06 AM

I understand that....

For me it wouldnt be a problem, im soon to be 25, i work full time and have a part time job, i live at home, everything i have is paid for. My parents have also agreed to buy the car in their name with their insurance and sell it to me later on so it is cheaper to insure for me.

Im sure we can deal on the price we will be paying cash so i guess well see.

Enzo354 12-31-2008 12:19 PM

My car was bought with 110k and it still runs great (ive added 5k miles lol) but i say shoot for 4000 and if they dont budge, well i think still get the car, from the way you describe it the extra care taken on the car is worth the extra $300, and try to find any other little htng first too to have them fix, then the 300 will be worth it.

bowtie8_3 12-31-2008 02:37 PM

Well I just went to look at it again...looked it over in and out for atleast an hour. It is very clean and the dealer is fixing the sunroof. 2 other people looked at the car and they were told the sunroof does not work and it will not be fixed. I was told by the dealer owner that it would be fixed for no charge. So its mine, going to pick it up after the roof is fixed. Ill try to post the pics i took on my cell phone here shortly.