Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   My 2000 SS just quit running for no reason? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/my-2000-ss-just-quit-running-no-reason-49425/)

00MonteCarloSS 06-28-2014 11:14 PM

My 2000 SS just quit running for no reason?

I can't post in the tech section, so bear with me here..

Today, I was driving down the street in my car, pulled up to a stop sign. When I took off, the car just quit running. Made a slight 'pop' sound and that was it. The engine oil is topped off full as is the tranny. I pulled all the fuses, only 2 were blown and they were for the A/C fan and steering wheel, replaced them while I was there. I am not sure how to test the relays? Someone suggested to me that it could be a fuel pump or timing chain, what do you all think?

Car still turns over fine, just don't fire.

owens91 06-29-2014 10:27 AM

Do you hear the pump priming when turned to the on position? If so j would check the fuel pressure. A lot of auto stores rent them for cheap fuel problem is a first place to start if u got a crank no start situation

00MonteCarloSS 06-29-2014 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by owens91 (Post 620049)
Do you hear the pump priming when turned to the on position? If so j would check the fuel pressure. A lot of auto stores rent them for cheap fuel problem is a first place to start if u got a crank no start situation

Weirdest thing. I let the car sit overnight and went out and tried it this morning, it fired right up! So, I think it might be a relay? Getting too hot and going out or something. Definitely going to get it checked out before I drive it very far. :thumbsup:

JC Colon 06-29-2014 02:19 PM

Could you tell what area the Pop came from? Did it sound neumatic, mechanical or electical?

owens91 06-29-2014 02:23 PM

thats good news for now, i hope you get it figured out, this excat thing happened to me and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator

00MonteCarloSS 06-29-2014 04:09 PM

Yeah, I hope it's something simple like that. Going to get it looked at next week and see. I am a fairly decent wrench on older iron, but, this newer computer controlled stuff is quite a whole different ball game for me.

I'd like to get one of those diagnostic tools they use at dealerships that plug into the car's computer and tell you exactly what's wrong. That way, a guy don't have to chase things around trying to locate the problem!

JC Colon 06-29-2014 05:15 PM

If you go to Ebay or Amazon and search up Bluetooth OBD II scanners you can get a blue tooth scanner that will read directly to an app on your Phone. Myself and quite a few other members here have them for our car. Mine is a fully functional unit. It's a Vgate Scan. Paired with the Torque App on my phone I can read and clear code, and get Real Time info on how my car is performing. Not only do I use it in my Monte but in my Mrs' Altima as well. The app allows for multiple cars. I can't garrenty price, but I got my adaptor for $12 and the fully functional App for $5. And as I said I get all the functionality of a hand held scanner at less than half the price!
I'm an Old school Mechanic like you. 34 years of Tinkering! Between the OBD Bluetooth scanner and all the Knowledge about Montes found here on MCF I have been quickly brought up to speed. :thumbsup:

nitehawkjcb 06-29-2014 09:10 PM

Could be fuel pressure related, or ignition related. Could be the crank sensor also.

00MonteCarloSS 06-30-2014 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb (Post 620126)
Could be fuel pressure related, or ignition related. Could be the crank sensor also.

Checked the fuel pressure today, everything is good there. We are pretty sure this is an electronic issue and I am already pretty suspicious of the ignition. Thanks for the tip, dude! :thumbsup:

00MonteCarloSS 06-30-2014 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon` (Post 620100)
If you go to Ebay or Amazon and search up Bluetooth OBD II scanners you can get a blue tooth scanner that will read directly to an app on your Phone. Myself and quite a few other members here have them for our car. Mine is a fully functional unit. It's a Vgate Scan. Paired with the Torque App on my phone I can read and clear code, and get Real Time info on how my car is performing. Not only do I use it in my Monte but in my Mrs' Altima as well. The app allows for multiple cars. I can't garrenty price, but I got my adaptor for $12 and the fully functional App for $5. And as I said I get all the functionality of a hand held scanner at less than half the price!
I'm an Old school Mechanic like you. 34 years of Tinkering! Between the OBD Bluetooth scanner and all the Knowledge about Montes found here on MCF I have been quickly brought up to speed. :thumbsup:

I just looked those up, for my particular phone (iPhone 5s) it costs $100 for the OBD, but, considering that the ones they use at the dealership cost up to a $1000, a hundred bucks isn't looking too bad!:cool: