General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Building a rear wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking Building a rear wheel drive

It was suggested that I create a post on building a rear wheel drive . First off I am NOT Chip Foose , you will not see perfection in all my work. Getting started I acquired a full frame out of a 87 olds G body completely stripped and cleaned frame with a wire wheel painted and started assembly with all new suspension, bushings, fuel and brake lines back into a rolling chassis. Next is where the work begins, put car on jack stands mark where all wires are from
and remove All drivetrain out of the 2002 Monte cutting out exhaust, fuel tank, suspension. cooling system, heat and AC cradle goes I suggest pulling dashboard out also, seats and carpet, steering colum and whatever else that gets in your way. Now roll frame under body and continue cutting body to fit frame , mainly around wheel wells and get frame squared under body and create mounts to attach the body to frame in as many places as possible. I would suggest that you have a bare block and trans for mock up so you can figure where you need to cut firewall and floor tunnel , The heater core and AC evap will be removed. Now you can start building a firewall and floor. I saved tunnel from 87 olds and incorporated it into factory floor. Exhaust tunnel is big enough for most of driveline. I had to move the brake booster and brake pedal a few inches and adapted the steering shaft to work. Connecting electrical is easier if you marked earlier wont be using a lot of wires. Will need to add a fuel tank as old one can't be used. Also very important you need to somehow connect the bumper to the frame I will be using a roll cage and creating my own. I did leave a lot of things out but it gives you the idea on how I created mine. Lots of thing I could have done different but that's for the next build. So any questions ?

Attached Thumbnails Building a rear wheel drive-new-006.jpg   Building a rear wheel drive-new-016.jpg  
Old 11-22-2017, 11:50 PM

That sounds like a huge project! It must have taken a long time, and a lot of planning. Basically you combined a 2002 unibody with a 1987 chassis, and fabricated and cut everything necessary to make the 2 fit together, and did all of the electrical work.
This is the 1st I've heard of someone actually doing this. What are your plans for the car?

Old 11-23-2017, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member

It has taken a lot of time, tons of money and all of them parts I saved through the years. My wife had a accident with my street car years ago and always wanted another one. She missed the feeling of power under her foot and to me she wanted a car like we had before (1980 Cutlass ). I use to drive dirt track cars and wanted another so I compromised and built my version of a Nascar street car. When it's done I plan on a putting it on a wheel dyno to check power, perhaps some parking lot racing, local car shows and cruising . Only problem is she gets the keys. Still debating on paint. I wanted to put a Goodwrench service plus on the hood, and she said " I want to go fast " so it might end up with that on the trunk and a cougar on it somewhere.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:59 AM

Thanks for posting this up and going into greater detail, I'm sure a lot or people on here will find this very interesting!

A couple of questions-
-In the other thread I see you mentioned you're running a powerglide. Curious why you chose that transmission in particular?
-Did you set the unibody on the frame or did cut the unibody to allow the frame to protrude into the unibody?
-I hate to be 'that guy', but do you have more pictures, specifically of the fabrication stages?

Old 11-23-2017, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member

I ran the powerglide because I had it from crashed car, it's a push start model (has a rear pump in tailshaft ) and knew it would hold power. As for the unibody ,yes it was put on top of the frame and cleared accordingly. The middle section sit's right on the floor.(see pics) The body does sit a little higher so I will need to add flares to make it look a little better. It actually set down on frame pretty good. Did a lot of clearance around upper control arms up front cutting unibody and wheelwell but most of body remained untouched .I did get some pics on my profile, but hard to see with drive line installed. I can take more if there's something special your wondering about.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
-I hate to be 'that guy', but do you have more pictures, specifically of the fabrication stages?
XD I was coming in here specifically to be that guy..

I wanna see any and all pictures that hes got..

Old 11-23-2017, 11:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I see the other pics mentioned:
https://montecarloforum.com/g/album/8667665

Very cool. Given the back shot of the car, I was wondering how the side profile was. Converting the car to full frame with RWD, I'm not sure what all you can do to avoid it sitting high. But I think there is a lot to be said about how unique and neat this project is.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member

Pictures in my profile show some modifications but hard too see. Engine compartment shows the strut tower but was cut a lot under there .The 2002 wheel base is off about 2.4 inches from the 1987 frame so I will modify wheelwells in back a little . Can see in passenger underside exhaust pic how nice the frame sits next to pinch weld on 02 body

Last edited by Jeffs02rwdSS; 10-05-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:11 PM

I see the pics in your album from the link Maniac posted, thanks for adding those. Definitely helps to get a better understanding of what all was done.

A few more questions if you don't mind:
-Any idea how much it raised the body over stock (say at the wheel arch or bumper lip or something)? It does look higher in the rear pic, but it's hard to get a feel for what the change was through pictures.
-Please excuse my ignorance as I know near zero about G body cars. How did you attach the unibody to the frame? Is it bolted together or welded on?
-Lastly just curious the plan for the car? Are you making a drag car out of it, a fun street cruiser, or just wanted to build something different?

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
I ran the powerglide because I had it from crashed car, it's a push start model (has a rear pump in tailshaft ) and knew it would hold power.
Makes sense. I was just asking since a powerglide seems to be a really hardcore setup for a street car.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member

Guessing that it raised body up 2-3 inches in the wheel arch, you can see in 1 pic with front wheels on. In the rear end pic I was sitting on the ground to show the rear differential. The closer you get the exhaust and differential disappears making it look stock The body is bolted to the unibody in the front, sit's directly on the floor in the middle and on both in back. It was built to be a street car, maybe a day at the track.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Building a rear wheel drive