Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Opinion Needed: Let me know (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/let-me-know-59420/)

96z34man 03-09-2018 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 709810)
Honestly I don't really agree that the failures are all that random either. From talking to TEP, it seems like 60-75k is where the issues start to become more common. Certainly at almost 120k miles, it's definitely in the high risk zone if it hasn't been rebuilt already. There just don't seem to be as many LS4 cars making it to 200k miles on a stock trans like there are with the lowered power v6s.

Ill agree the car is on the cheaper side, but I definitely wouldn't say it's crazy cheap. KBB out here ranges from $3100 for fair to $6600 for excellent on private party sales out here at that mileage. There are currently two for sale locally, one listed at $4k, one at $5k.

I just don't see anyone getting $9k for one unless it was in perfect shape and literally half the miles. Otherwise, it would make more sense to travel to get one elsewhere for cheaper, especially for thousands cheaper.

One of the killers for price is that if someone is looking to spend $9 or 10k on a sporty GM car and doesnt mind that kind of mileage, there are so many options. You can easily get into a 4th gen camaro, TA, GTO (especially an 04), or even a C5 for that kind of money.

Talking to TEP about transmission failures is like talking to Jiffy Lube about oil change frequency. Of course they will give you information that is good for their bottom line.

And I have never seen a GTO, or a C5 in any condition that I would drive, for under $10K.

bumpin96monte 03-10-2018 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 96z34man (Post 709850)
Talking to TEP about transmission failures is like talking to Jiffy Lube about oil change frequency. Of course they will give you information that is good for their bottom line.

That doesn't make any sense at all. It's a repair job, not preventative maintenance. How would it benefit them if they say the transmissions usually fail at say 10k miles? No one is going to be looking into a replacement transmission unless theirs is already having an issue (or they're building a race trans of course). It's not like if they said the transmissions fail at 10k that people are going to proactively pull out perfectly running transmissions to give them more business.

You don't need to believe them, look at the million threads across the various LS4 boards of failed transmissions, many bone stock, many at stupid low miles. There's a reason these cars have the reputation of eating transmissions.

And I have never seen a GTO, or a C5 in any condition that I would drive, for under $10K.
Either youve got Pebble Beach level standards or you haven't seriously looked at them at all lately then. With how much older corvette models have been tanking in price, well over half of the local C5 listings are under $10k at this point. Heck, you can get into a C6 in the teens nowadays. Only way a C5 is pulling more is for ultra low mileage or a Z06. As far as GTOs, there are tons of 04s out there under $10k. I literally was just car shopping for these models (along with others) a few months ago.

96z34man 03-10-2018 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 709858)
That doesn't make any sense at all. It's a repair job, not preventative maintenance. How would it benefit them if they say the transmissions usually fail at say 10k miles? No one is going to be looking into a replacement transmission unless theirs is already having an issue (or they're building a race trans of course). It's not like if they said the transmissions fail at 10k that people are going to proactively pull out perfectly running transmissions to give them more business.

You don't need to believe them, look at the million threads across the various LS4 boards of failed transmissions, many bone stock, many at stupid low miles. There's a reason these cars have the reputation of eating transmissions.

Either youve got Pebble Beach level standards or you haven't seriously looked at them at all lately then. With how much older corvette models have been tanking in price, well over half of the local C5 listings are under $10k at this point. Heck, you can get into a C6 in the teens nowadays. Only way a C5 is pulling more is for ultra low mileage or a Z06. As far as GTOs, there are tons of 04s out there under $10k. I literally was just car shopping for these models (along with others) a few months ago.

1. And that reputation is based on anecdotal evidence, just as my flawless transmission at 235K miles is anecdotal evidence. (I doubt any of you has 235K on his car. I don't, and it's my daily driver.) Where are the figures from J.D. Power, or ASE, or any other objective data-gathering body, proving these transmissions fail at a higher-than-average rate or exceptionally low mileage?

2. I do have Pebble Beach standards, and don't apologize for it. I also live in an area with virtually no GTO's, in any condition, at any price. The one I drove had a noise that the dealer couldn't explain, and an aftermarket Sirius XM antenna gapping the rear window seal, so that was that. It went for $13K, which, the last I checked, is a lot more than $10K.