Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Gone But Not Forgotten Monte Carlos (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/gone-but-not-forgotten-monte-carlos-7042/)

drivernumber3 06-06-2017 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by BackNBlack (Post 703750)
Thanks for 10 years! Not prepared for my emotional reaction to leaving this beauty at the dealer. Ugh. I did not adult well today.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r...7/IMG_0166.jpg

Whoa that's a nice ride for sure. What prompted you to do this?

Skatulaki 06-03-2018 09:17 PM

Since this thread is already off topic

I had a 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon with a Factory Manual 5 speed and 260 V8, 2 door, Red, Red Interior, Red vinyle on the back part of the roof. I called it the Gutlass Cutlass because it really didn't have much power, but once you got it rolling with that 5 speed you could creep up on more powerfull cars. I even got a North Carolina vanity plate "Gutlass" It had a torsion stabilizer bar that the Supremes did not have, so when you went into a corner, there was no lean, that bar just sucked that car right to the road. I got on it a little too heavy one day and snapped the shift rail, The trans was actually made for Pontiac Sunbirds which were 4 cyl. I found one and got back to my Parents farm ( I was in the Marine Corps at the time ) I rebuilt the original, and actually had to write TRW to get replacement bearings.
I spent the summer in NY at my parents farm, rebuilding the tranny , cutting out the rust and redoing the body, Got a set of the Supremes wheels , cause they were great looking, got a set of the Supremes dash but took it back out because it didn't work right. I eventually towed it to Florida my new home. I took it out for a spin to do some laundry, expired tag, no insurance, no nothing. No reason to do it other than driving that car instead of my legal Ford Ranger. Damn if I didn't get hit from the rear by a drunk driver and got spun around and the rear tagged another car. Called my insurance lady and she hooked me up with back dated insurance, cops wrote me up for bad tag and no insurance. The Judge let me totally off the hook because the driver who hit me was drunk. Lost my car, the guy who hit me, his Insurance Co. gave me $2000, and I took it. I have not found another car like that one since.

danielbaldor 06-19-2018 11:28 AM

I spent my medical school years tuning and modding a 2001 3.4L LS; it was my saving grace for sanity. I became friends with the owner of the shop, and he taught me how to work on cars. Unfortunately, after years of great success I ended up with a computer problem and a transmission that was destroyed after adding nitrous and improperly tying it in to the BCM....

That car was awesome. I had the opportunity to cross country in it with my childhood dog shortly before he died, and we shared some great times just sitting under the stars together.

RIP Monster Carlo. Gone but not forgotten.

craig32 09-18-2021 07:54 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/monteca...22060c37fe.jpg
This is my first 'real' car, as in one to last more than one inspection cycle (6 months at that time) I saw this on a car lot nearby (on a Sunday), and really liked it. I went back a few days later and it wasn't there. They said it was the 'owner's niece's boyfriend's' car and it was sitting there for the weekend. A couple days later, I saw an ad in the paper (it was 1981, mind you) for a 76 Monte Carlo and found out it was the same car. I had also seen an ad for a '1967 Impala SS - needs 'motor' and wondered - does it have a blown engine, or need engine, transmission, driveshaft and full exhaust. After a few boozes, my buddy says 'let's go look at these cars'. He's driving, as I'm already in the bag. We find the Impala at a business, which turned out to be a salvage yard, and he says 'There's your Impala'! OK, hard pass. On an unrelated note, in the near vicinity was a Plymouth Superbird! (I had recently owned a 68 Charger, but was really loyal to Chevy and didn't want to go down THAT road again!) So we ventured on into the big city in search of the Monte. We were looking for the street and came upon a guy with a dog and I said "Hey, can you tell me where Dove Street is?' My buddy is saying under his breath 'That guy is blind!!!' But he told us exactly where it was. I see the car again, and the kid says he wants to get $1400 out of it, and I said 'I'll give you $1450, don't sell it out from under me!' So from there, I go home and the next day I go to our bank to get a loan. I was only 19, and needed a co-signer. My dad was out of town (field service engineer - 'road man') and my sister worked at the bank and her boss was off that week. SHE gave me the loan, and I bought the car, and when Dad got home, I gave him the papers to sign! He said "I guess I don't have much choice at this point, do I?' Hehe - nope! So I got this awesome car and had it for almost a decade. My dad was always talking about these 'hot new Camaros' (like my sister had two of!) that he was always going to buy, but instead he ended up with a brand new 1984 Monte SS! A few years later, he turned it over for an 87 Aero Coupe, and later got an 83 SS that I ended up with briefly. Back to me, I got married, sold the 57 Chevy project I had for 7 years, paid off the Monte and my bike. My wife's former husband ended up repainting it for me. We got divorced and my current wife and I drove away in it after our wedding (instead of the convertible I also had) later on. Eventually I needed to do more work to it, and I was going to sell it to a guy who had 'big plans' for it. I was asking $500 for it, and he gave me a $200 deposit, until his Mommy said NO. I offered it to him later for $400, and they said no. I ended up giving it to the guy who was doing work on it, and he scrapped it. I still have the title for it, which tells when I bought it, and the lien release date tells when I sold my 57. I had a lot of GREAT memories in that car, and seeing that title brings them all back - I think I'm going to frame it!! On a related note, not only did my own dad buy Monte Carlos after I did, but my new in-laws also bought a 76 Monte! My father in law, who is now like one of my best (and ONLY) friends had a 67 GMC pick up with a six banger, rebuilt the 350 out of the Monte and put in his old truck, along with the transmission and steering column when he restored the truck after he retired. After that, we became pretty close, as he's helped me restore everything on my list except the Corvette, and is currently helping me keep my 02 Monte on the road in perpetuity. I miss the 76, but keeping the 02 going is my main goal in life right now. If I had to give up the current one, it would be like having a pet put down, I just couldn't do it. I bought the Buick, my first non-Chevy since 1980, so I have time, and still might get it done before inspection runs out.

20Xpacecar 10-08-2021 08:40 PM

2000 Pacecar on the way out

I had a 2005 LS that I loved, but had to see to get something that could tow a trailer and carry the kids. Fast forward to 2019 - my son needed a new car and I came across this Pacecar with about 80k miles. Great car, but the rear shock towers are rusted through and some cracks have opened. I guess another one is headed to the bone yard…
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/monteca...079ea24e9.jpeg

The_Maniac 10-09-2021 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 20Xpacecar (Post 727020)
I had a 2005 LS that I loved, but had to see to get something that could tow a trailer and carry the kids. Fast forward to 2019 - my son needed a new car and I came across this Pacecar with about 80k miles. Great car, but the rear shock towers are rusted through and some cracks have opened. I guess another one is headed to the bone yard…

Curious if you are scraping it, have you given thought to parting it out?