Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   DREADED ISS (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/dreaded-iss-8725/)

jay26 03-31-2008 02:53 PM

DREADED ISS

well im the latest victom of the iss issues,i knew that was the problem for a while and decided to have them check it out,going to get a new shaft for 240$ installed.i know members have had problems even with the new ones but it needed to be done.if it happens again i will be doing the lithium grease.

dustybird3 03-31-2008 03:37 PM

RE: DREADED ISS

Keep us updated on the new one. I'm still using the lithium grease but I'm not sure how long that's going to work.

big_mecho13 03-31-2008 03:50 PM

Yeah I just had mine replaced.
You'd figure GM would have fixed this by now but no.
At least mine was under warranty. Once that is done I'd do the lithium grease looks like it works for a lot of folks.

mickey 03-31-2008 05:56 PM

im on the second one in mine also. so when i have to deal with it again i will do the grease.

but you will defenly notice a diffrence in handeling etc... feels so much tighter then what it did before it was fixed.

GrandPaDave 03-31-2008 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: big_mecho13

Yeah I just had mine replaced.
You'd figure GM would have fixed this by now but no.
At least mine was under warranty. Once that is done I'd do the lithium grease looks like it works for a lot of folks.
My service writer told me that Tahoe's and Yukons suffer from this problem a 100x worst than us and GM has hardly fixed that huge money maker of theirs.

bowtietech 03-31-2008 06:41 PM

The list of GM vehicles that have the intermediate steering shaft issue is very long. I work in GM service and have to deal with this everyday. It seems as if engineering will never get it fixed!!!

God_Bot 03-31-2008 06:47 PM

So just how exactly to you know if it goes bad? I've had a few days where the steering wheel was harder to turn than normal, acted just like our '93 Suburban does when it's low on steering fluid. I'm hoping it's just a bit low on fluid but I keep forgetting to check.

dustybird3 03-31-2008 07:37 PM

It starts out as a little "tick" feeling in the steering wheel/brake pedal, you can almost hear it, then as it gets worse, it becomes a clunk/pop and you can for sure hear it. The steering still feels good and tight, it's more annoying than anything.

God_Bot 03-31-2008 09:30 PM

Okay, I haven't had any ticks or pops so I'm still good then.

jay26 04-01-2008 02:37 AM

i will keep ya posted,only thing i should have done is get the part and try to do it myself but its still to cold here to do all that.i cant wait to get it today gonna feel alot different its been like that i'd say easily 4 yrs.i hope to see the old one and check it out,usually when i have work done at the dealership they put theold partin my car.