Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Cool finds at the junkyard :) (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/cool-finds-junkyard-36460/)

The_Maniac 05-21-2012 06:02 AM

Those do look really good! Nice work Frank!! The time I saw these on a Grand Prix they were just cleaned and slapped in the car "as is". This is FAR better!!

lougreen03 05-21-2012 08:15 AM

They came out great Frank. I was gonna say to paint the inside where the rubber bushing is so you didnt have to polish it up but It looks like you cant even see it on the car. I was thinking about getting some aluminum flat bar and making my own fender braces. I think home depot sells it and you could cut it with a jigsaw with a metal blade.

Franks 03SS 05-21-2012 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS (Post 460057)
Looks great! Awesome work :thumbsup:

Thanks man :)

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 460219)
Those do look really good! Nice work Frank!! The time I saw these on a Grand Prix they were just cleaned and slapped in the car "as is". This is FAR better!!

Thanks Jason :D

Originally Posted by lougreen03 (Post 460258)
They came out great Frank. I was gonna say to paint the inside where the rubber bushing is so you didnt have to polish it up but It looks like you cant even see it on the car. I was thinking about getting some aluminum flat bar and making my own fender braces. I think home depot sells it and you could cut it with a jigsaw with a metal blade.

Thanks Lou! :) the aluminum is cleaned up well so it blends in all together ;)

And I was thinking the EXACT SAME on the fender braces!! :eek: :eek: because that's all it is, like the ones mitch had for sale haha :)

03SSLE 05-23-2012 07:36 AM

Looks good Frank! :thumbsup:

Franks 03SS 05-23-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE (Post 460736)
Looks good Frank! :thumbsup:

Thanks mike :)

zjerry 05-27-2012 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS (Post 459983)
Here's the installed pics :D and it matches my STB lol
i also went ahead and flipped the bushing in them, car feels pretty good:). hopefully that 1/4" it moved the engine forward will eliminate the small vibration for when i lower my monte (again) :o

also notice i replaced my ugly hood insulator with one in better condition haha

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/a...F/464cdd66.jpg
http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/a...F/db099140.jpg

Frank , I like how that Looks . I went an got a set today ..:rotfl::rotfl:
Now I just have to trim them up & sand & buff..:rotfl::rotfl:

Franks 03SS 05-27-2012 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by zjerry (Post 461980)
Frank , I like how that Looks . I went an got a set today ..:rotfl::rotfl:
Now I just have to trim them up & sand & buff..:rotfl::rotfl:

Thanks Jerry :) youre going to have fun with them :thumbsup: haha
mine are holding up really nice and still havent cracked, which i hightly doubt they will ;)

The_Maniac 05-27-2012 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Franks 03SS (Post 461983)
mine are holding up really nice and still havent cracked, which i hightly doubt they will ;)

I do agree with your original thoughts that the 2-bolt design should hold up just fine, they really are not under a great deal of pressure.

It does make me wonder though, why did GM use different radiator mounts on W-bodies with 3400 vs 3800.... :confused:
I would think from the stance of "mass production", one style would be all they should want to produce.

BTW - We discussed those early style dog bones (with spherical bushings on both ends and the required unattractive rad mounts). I am currently driving my Monte with WBS solid "poly" bushings in the dog bones AND the radiator mounts. I don't know how it compares to "flipping" the bushing on the rad mount OR those earlier w-body bushings, but I do notice the vibration in the cabin a lot more (not horrible, I am kinda used to it a bit, makes me think of a "muscle car"). BUT what it seemed to help with is providing a more solid "launch" from a dead or rolling stop. Just neat, nothing "huge" outside of that.

Franks 03SS 05-28-2012 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 462146)
I do agree with your original thoughts that the 2-bolt design should hold up just fine, they really are not under a great deal of pressure.

It does make me wonder though, why did GM use different radiator mounts on W-bodies with 3400 vs 3800.... :confused:
I would think from the stance of "mass production", one style would be all they should want to produce.

BTW - We discussed those early style dog bones (with spherical bushings on both ends and the required unattractive rad mounts). I am currently driving my Monte with WBS solid "poly" bushings in the dog bones AND the radiator mounts. I don't know how it compares to "flipping" the bushing on the rad mount OR those earlier w-body bushings, but I do notice the vibration in the cabin a lot more (not horrible, I am kinda used to it a bit, makes me think of a "muscle car"). BUT what it seemed to help with is providing a more solid "launch" from a dead or rolling stop. Just neat, nothing "huge" outside of that.

hmm dont know why gm did that :p

those poly bushings im sure do provide a more solid feel, flipping the orginal bushing probably doesnt come close to what the poly ones provide. mostly because its 2 diff materials and the rubber still allows some play in the mount :p
i want to get some red poly bushings for my mounts soon, just because they'll look nice in there :rotfl:;)

zjerry 05-29-2012 05:13 PM

Hey , Frank they use that mount on chevy uplanders too..3900 engine..