Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   can not get in car (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/can-not-get-car-37462/)

scrappy2561 07-01-2012 04:09 PM

can not get in car

I have a 2006 mc ss that I am locked out of the car has sat for 1 1/2 weeks and the battery has died and the key fob is not working how do I get into this car?

STUMPMI 07-01-2012 04:14 PM

Try changeing the battery in the key fob.... for 1...
2nd) try useing the key!
Once you do get in....Disconnect the battery for 5 mins...
after the 5 mins have passed, reconect the battery and depress and hold the key fob (open side) and it should reconnect. and you should be all set!

scrappy2561 07-01-2012 04:17 PM

the key will not turn in door.

scrappy2561 07-01-2012 04:19 PM

How do you get the fob open is it where the remote start instructions are on the back or open the whole fob. this has been a all day project.

lougreen03 07-01-2012 04:21 PM

If the car battery has died the only thing you can do is call a locksmith or a wrecker. The wrecker will probably be the cheapest. Around here it's about $35 for a lockout service. Then figure out why your key don't work so it does not happen again.

STUMPMI 07-01-2012 04:22 PM

Then I highly recommend getting some Graphite, Liquid to free up the tumblers..(WD40 also works) If you use the WD40....keep a rag handy and catch the excess so as to not damage the paint.(it will eat your paint off) Once the locks free up I recommend dry graphite a cpl times a year to "keep" them from freezeing up again....did you try both doors? also does your rear seat fold down to access the trunk? if so..try going thru the trunk to get in....(with the trunk key)

lougreen03 07-01-2012 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI (Post 473546)
also does your rear seat fold down to access the trunk? if so..try going thru the trunk to get in....(with the trunk key)

I think the 06 has no keyhole.

scrappy2561 07-01-2012 04:26 PM

the only to manually enter this car is through the drivers door. I am seriously locked out

STUMPMI 07-01-2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by scrappy2561 (Post 473553)
the only to manually enter this car is through the drivers door. I am seriously locked out

You didnt say if..the car battery was dead.....Is it?..... Have you been haveing chargeing issues? If so,

lougreen03 is correct and youll have to call in outside help!

That would have been some info that would affect my answers to try to help you....

The key fob splits in half to change the battery in it...BTW

03JGMonte 07-01-2012 06:15 PM

If the car battery is dead the only way to get in is with the key or a locksmith, the lockout tools tow truck drivers have wont work with a dead battery, if your really hard up to get in ypu can take a screw driver & pop the door handle off but ull damage the door & handle or break the glass, sometimes that is cheaper than a lock smith, but id try the wd40 in the lock cylinder first like Stumpi said see if u cant free it up

MillerMonteSS 07-01-2012 06:17 PM

It won't work. The ignition key doesn't work in the key hole of the door. He stated in his first post that his battery was dead after sitting for a week and a half. OP; You are going to need a locksmith. Good luck.

The_Maniac 07-01-2012 06:55 PM

Maybe this year Monte is a little different, but is there ANY way to reach the hood latch from under the car to pop the hood and put a battery charger on the car/battery???
Usually the hood latch is a cable drive from the lever in the car. Some vehicles have ways you can manipulate the latch into releasing from under the car.

Enzo354 07-01-2012 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 473605)
Maybe this year Monte is a little different, but is there ANY way to reach the hood latch from under the car to pop the hood and put a battery charger on the car/battery???
Usually the hood latch is a cable drive from the lever in the car. Some vehicles have ways you can manipulate the latch into releasing from under the car.

It won't be easy, but I think it can be done. It is after all just a cable you have to pull.

lougreen03 07-02-2012 12:22 AM

Maybe he could reach the battery from underneath also to put a charger or jumper cables on.

MillerMonteSS 07-02-2012 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by lougreen03 (Post 473703)
Maybe he could reach the battery from underneath also to put a charger or jumper cables on.

:rotfl:

Holy crap that's funny! There is about 3/8ths of inch clearance between the belt and the battery. You have to remove the brace to get to anything related to the battery.

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 473605)

There may be something to this though... If you could reach your cable, you may be able to pop your hood.

P.S. This is the first time that I have done multiple quotes...

solaris_vii 07-02-2012 06:13 AM

i have an 06 monte too and my key does not work in the drivers door. i dont believe its seized, it never worked since i got it in 09. i wonder how many 06s are like this. good luck op, you are living one of my biggest fears that ill get locked out!

The_Maniac 07-02-2012 06:17 AM

FYI - This key seized in the door is why you need to lubricate and use the key lock once in a while.

Hopefully the reaching under the car idea helps.

DE02Carlo 07-02-2012 06:55 AM

I never met any car I could not get into with a coat hanger either by getting to the lock or door linkage or through the window or door.

When I first got my Monte I locked the key in it with the car running. I thought about Onstar but it is analog and disablled. So I got out the coat hanger once again and went down into the door going for the lock or door linkage (like a slim jim) while I did get the door handle to move a couple time no luck.

I then pryed the top of the door our a little with a rag covered tool. Then I streched out the coat hanger all the way and bent a hook at the end. I stuck it and and tried going for the door lock or window buttons while trying to swing back and forth to hit the unlock button I managed to grab the manual unlock button and opened it. This whole process took about 15 minutes.

Space 07-02-2012 06:59 AM

Do you have road side assistance ? Does your insurance company cover no starts ? If your Monte has a door lock & the key isn't working, try lock ease ? Or some police officer's have slim jims to get into cars ? (You should call their public # & not 911)...
If all else fails, use something like below :eek:
http://ashallscoaches.co.uk/images/b...s%20hammer.jpg
Thanks `Member's for trying to help a new member :thumbsup:

Ricks 2006 SS 07-02-2012 07:51 AM

Not to Hi Jack this thread: But Why won't the ignition key work in the drivers door ? On an 06 Monte there is No key hole in the trunk either. Or in the passenger door. What the Hells up with that ? Man I hope you get in and charge your battery. My Monte sits for 4 months from Dec till mid of April & starts right up.

03SSLE 07-02-2012 08:00 AM

Call a locksmith and have them pick the driver door lock.

JuniorCar 07-02-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by DE02Carlo (Post 473738)
I never met any car I could not get into with a coat hanger either by getting to the lock or door linkage or through the window or door.

When I first got my Monte I locked the key in it with the car running. I thought about Onstar but it is analog and disablled. So I got out the coat hanger once again and went down into the door going for the lock or door linkage (like a slim jim) while I did get the door handle to move a couple time no luck.

I then pryed the top of the door our a little with a rag covered tool. Then I streched out the coat hanger all the way and bent a hook at the end. I stuck it and and tried going for the door lock or window buttons while trying to swing back and forth to hit the unlock button I managed to grab the manual unlock button and opened it. This whole process took about 15 minutes.

I too am quite a surgeon with the coat hanger, but I found a roll of 3/16 brake line works better then coat hanger. It still easy to bend and manipulate, but it doesn't twist so easily. So you can apply some torque when you hook your target... y'know what I mean.

I've never needed to break into my Monte

ChibiBlackSheep 07-02-2012 08:27 AM

Be careful with all of the tips on how to break-into a car... we can't have those here ;)

I think OP needs to really just get a locksmith out and then go to a dealer and find out why his key doesn't work. Perhaps someone replaced the ignition tumbler for passlock at some point?

Budsjlm 07-02-2012 08:28 AM

Door wedge, METAL coat hanger and get creative!

STUMPMI 07-02-2012 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by scrappy2561 (Post 473536)
I have a 2006 mc ss that I am locked out of the car has sat for 1 1/2 weeks and the battery has died and the key fob is not working how do I get into this car?

My bad...you did say it had a dead battery..Daaaaa
I took it as a dead battery in the key fob...not the car...
Brain :facepalm:Fade

Ricks 2006 SS 07-02-2012 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI (Post 473782)
My bad...you did say it had a dead battery..Daaaaa
I took it as a dead battery in the key fob...not the car...
Brain :facepalm:Fade

:rotfl::rotfl:Jumper cable to the key fob:rotfl::rotfl:

STUMPMI 07-02-2012 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS (Post 473787)
:rotfl::rotfl:Jumper cable to the key fob:rotfl::rotfl:

RICKS A FUNNY GUY!
:wave&point:

HA HA HA RICK!

Enzo354 07-02-2012 12:41 PM

I hope everyone realizes that the breaking into the car trick isn't going to work if the key fob doesn't work from the car having a dead battery. Unless you can somehow move the orange indicator, which is nearly impossible you are out of luck. Remember, the switches are electronic and won't work without power.

The_Maniac 07-02-2012 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354 (Post 473844)
I hope everyone realizes that the breaking into the car trick isn't going to work if the key fob doesn't work from the car having a dead battery. Unless you can somehow move the orange indicator, which is nearly impossible you are out of luck. Remember, the switches are electronic and won't work without power.

That's why the idea of a slim-jim came into play. I'd question of if the door is susceptible to it, as it requires fairly easy access to the rods that operate the door lock from inside the door panel....

That's why my vote it, see if you can pop the hood and charge the battery.

FYI gang - If you have not lubed the lock cylinders, do so and run the key in, turn and out a couple of times.

Ricks 2006 SS 07-02-2012 05:16 PM

Ok to answer one thing. My key wouldn't open the drivers door either. I didn't want to force it. But I called a friend at a Chevy dealer. he's a parts guy there. He said he never heard of that before!! So I took wd 40 and sprayed a little in the only key hole on the outside of the car. Waited a mina nd yahooo The key turns now. Now I feel a little stupied. Cause at this age. You'd think I should know better. But Nooo ha ha ha ha. Hey gave me something to do. :)

Mike 00LS 07-02-2012 05:29 PM

Depending on your size and how long of a screw-driver or shim you have, you may even be able to reach up in front of the radiator and catch the hood latch from under the car if you can't find the cable to pop the hood. You'd probably need 2 people if you try to catch the latch itself.

I don't think they make the cable right in plain sight for obvious anti-theft reasons. A couple of times when neighbors have locked themselves out with dead batteries we've been able to put a trickle charger right on the positive lead of the starter, giving enough juice to allow the fob to work, but with these cars being FWD the starter won't be easy to reach from underneath I wouldn't think (I haven't tried though)

Taz 07-02-2012 07:12 PM

I'm glad to see everyone is so willing to help out a person in need. :thumbsup:

Just keep in mind when posting ideas in this thread. This is an internet forum. Viewed by members, and lots of non-members who don't need an account to view this thread. You may be posting ways for people to break into YOUR car also. :eek:

Not saying we shouldn't help someone out. But just something to keep in mind. :)

The_Maniac 07-02-2012 08:40 PM

Lubing the door hinges and locks is part of my "summer prep" for at least the winter cars (I should have it standard for summer prep on all cars, but I don't do anything to prep the dailies for summer).

TheMonteMan 07-12-2012 01:44 PM

i know im late to this one, but theres only one key for the ignition and the door. the key you have will go into the door lock, and unlock the door whether the battery is dead or not. you have to lube the key and lock up. this comes from never using the key in there. i know this for a fact because mine did the same thing except i had my battery die and decided id jack the car up and rotate the tires while i waited the 2 days for my battery to come in. couldnt get the car out of gear and then my key got stuck in the ignition. at this point i decided to throw in the towel and wait for my battery. i didnt want to leave my key in the ignition with the door unlocked so i ran in and grabbed my spare key, and what happens? it doesnt fit in the lock. i get my battery, swap it, and take it in to the dealer complaining that they must have changed the door lock. 5 minutes later they lubbed it up locked and unlocked the door with the same key.

Ricks 2006 SS 07-13-2012 01:16 PM

yes Sir. I think we've all been there. I know I was. And I thought I knew better:o

mstrmysterious63 07-14-2012 06:26 PM

i dont understand why they took the keyholes off the trunks in 06-07. i guess to give a it sleeker look? though, if i try to open my trunk with the key, the alarm goes off. EVERY TIME!

im a little iffy about prying back the door. we had to do that on my sisters first car. an Oldsmobile. it always had a very quiet ride to it. after that the wind noise awful.

Mike 00LS 07-14-2012 07:38 PM

Actually, they removed the keyhole in 05. When I wanted to swap spoilers and actually ended up swapping deck lids with an 05, it has no key hole. It does look a lot cleaner. But if the electric opener gives out, looks like I'd have to crawl through the back seat to pop the trunk :o

Enzo354 07-14-2012 10:31 PM

Yea, I have crawled through the back seat many a time.