Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Opinion Needed: best way to enhance my performance (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/best-way-enhance-my-performance-58630/)

whitelightning16 07-19-2017 12:23 AM

best way to enhance my performance

Hey guys just looking for some opinions. I have an 04 monte with the 3400and I'm looking for the best way to upgrade. Id like to get a 3800 from the junkyard. It would be $750 for and engine and transmission with high miles, or should i just look at modifying my 3400? Its my daily and has 240k right now and seems to be running strong with regular maintenance. Any advice would be appreciated.

bumpin96monte 07-19-2017 03:51 PM

How much power are you looking for and what is your total budget?

Honestly with mileage that high, I wouldnt be real crazy about putting a lot of money into mods for your current setup.

How high of mileage is the 3800 and is it supercharged? The concern going that route is that you probably have no history on the engine, it could be in far worse shape than your current setup.

nitehawkjcb 07-19-2017 04:02 PM

Get an engine with low miles and a warranty...

whitelightning16 07-20-2017 10:29 AM

The engine im looking at is a naturally aspirated 3800 with 187k miles. Im just looking for a little more power not a whole lot. Would like to look at this as an opportunity to learn to rebuild an engine. Theres so much i want to learn but with a budget less than a thousand thats kind of hard. But that might come to a stop. Went to the body shop today for rust in the rear quarters and it sounds like the kiss of death because its rusting through.

The_Maniac 07-20-2017 07:25 PM

Rust, high miles. Eh.... You might be best leaving this monte the way it is. Most of the time when exploring an engine swap when the engine is still good is best to not do it with a daily driver just because of the unforseen issues that might surface.

But it is never too late to learn ANY engine work.

whitelightning16 07-21-2017 08:40 AM

I know but I hate to give up on something thats brought me so much joy. I could look at this as an opportunity to learn body work because i have a potential donor car for the quarter panels but I don't think im quite competent enough to do that.
I think learning to do engine or body work could be very rewarding. Even if it was just on another 3400 because they are absolutely everywhere.

wht02monte 07-21-2017 12:45 PM

Yea theyre everywhere, but none that are modded really in montys.. The only way I would say go for it is if you had another DD as you did the work..

whitelightning16 07-26-2017 07:36 AM

Yeah I could possibly drive my truck while working on my car but it pretty much chugs gas, good thing I live close to work. I think im going to have a family friend help with the body work and look to the engine later. Question... does anyone know if the ram air in the grand ams actually works or is it just a gimmick?

The_Maniac 07-26-2017 03:18 PM

From what I understand, the factory ram air on the grand am is more gimmick.

Hellchild 07-29-2017 07:46 PM

New to this not sure how to start a post

Does anyone know how to delete or modify the speed governor I top off at about 110 115 I would be interested in adjusting this