Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   4th Gen ('81-'88): best oil to use AFTER break in oil... (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/best-oil-use-after-break-oil-54963/)

DerrtyD 12-04-2015 01:53 AM

best oil to use AFTER break in oil...

I searched on here and didnt find any threads but if there is one, link it.

first off, my monte has been running pretty dang good for the past month(i've had many probs in the past). i started a new job and i use it 2-3 times a work to get to work and back.

basically, my new 305 has been officially broken in, 500+ miles and i would like to know what you guy use and recommend. im in Texas and its not super cold but i think 5W-30 is a safe bet. most importantly though, can i use synthetic or synthetic blend problem free? thanks in advance cause you guys are the best!!

ZIPPY02 12-04-2015 12:42 PM

Seems like from what I have read you can use synthetic oils with no problem . Some cars will have full synthetic oil in them from the factory. Since you have already completed your break in I would bet your safe. When my Monte's engine was rebuilt we did a break in oil. Drained and replaced with a full synthetic, no problems and it's been over 5 years now. Previously I have only used Redline 15-50w in the engine, and now have recently switched to AMSOIL Dominator Motor Oil 15-50w. A 5-30w for your car would be the safe card to play. Bet you could even go 10-30w and still be safe in hot as heck Texas.

AMSOIL DOMINATOR® 15W-50 Racing Oil $13.40 qt. plus a $25 AMSOIL filter. It's about $99 with tax for an oil change for me. Ugh...But for what it cost me to rebuild this Hipo engine, that's a cheap price to pay to keep it running when the hp output is very demanding.

Provides superior performance and maximum protection in high-performance and racing applications. DOMINATOR is engineered from advanced synthetic technology to better withstand the elevated rpm, high temperatures and shock-loading common to racing applications. DOMINATOR provides maximum protection in temperature extremes. Its low pour point offers excellent cold-start protection and provides less drag when the oil has not reached stable operating temperatures. At elevated operating temperatures, it maintains superior film strength. DOMINATOR's thermally stable synthetic chemistry resists the effects of intense heat common to racing engines to provide reliable protection for the duration of the race.

Maximum Horsepower
The excessive friction and heat of racing robs engines of power and longevity. DOMINATOR is formulated with a proprietary friction modifier for maximum horsepower and cooler engine temperatures, promoting improved lap times and longer-lasting components.
•Formulated specifically for racing & high-performance engines
•Robust formulation resists viscosity loss
•Proprietary friction modifier maximizes horsepower & torque
•Fortified with anti-wear additives for extra protection

Royal Purple info below:

Perfect for your new factory-ordered vehicle and engine rebuilds, Royal Purple Break-In Oil is fully formulated and does not require the use of any other chemical additives. After the engine is broken in, we recommend using the right Royal Purple high performance synthetic engine oil for your vehicle.

DerrtyD 12-05-2015 11:56 AM

thanks for the extended details and info, I appreciate it much. i went to O'Reilly's and they had PEAK conventional 5w-30 for $10 on the 5qt jug, i couldnt resist haha. and since im doing the LS1 next spring, i decided not to ball out on synthetic oil, at least not yet

montedd 12-18-2015 05:25 AM

My experience

93 Z28 with 148k miles
04 Impala with 180k miles
Amongst others

I have always used the recommended oil for each

I always buy what ever brand name full synthetic oil on sale with a "synthetic" oil filter and I have never had any issues. Change oil every 5k or so. To me it is that simple.

Unless you race or have another reason to use a different oil and change frequency.

Oh and oil additives are mainly "snake oils" in my opinion.