Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   5th Gen ('95-'99): AutoWeek magazine scans: new Monte is "A Lumina In Nice Duds" (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/autoweek-magazine-scans-new-monte-lumina-nice-duds-57807/)

Sidestreet 02-04-2017 09:28 PM

AutoWeek magazine scans: new Monte is "A Lumina In Nice Duds"

4 Attachment(s)
We're going back to the '90s! :cool:

AutoWeek magazine turned out to have more articles on the '95 Monte Carlo than I would've thought, but then again, in the mid-1990s the return of the Monte Carlo name was fairly big news in the North American auto scene.

This time, I found an "AutoFile" in the March 13 issue, a four-page article summarizing the car with specifications, road test results, and comments from other car magazines and first owners' likes and dislikes too. One funny thing is that AutoWeek thought the new Monte didn't have a "truly comfortable ride", but most of the actual owners disagreed and said it did. :rolleyes:
But everyone agreed that the Monte was a good solid car for the money.

One thing for sure, there were a lot of good two-door coupes to choose from back then, and they came in all sizes. Nowadays you practically have to hunt for one. :(
Maybe that's one reason why we're so attached to the ones we have!

GTHSS 02-05-2017 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sidestreet (Post 699986)
We're going back to the '90s! :cool:

One thing for sure, there were a lot of good two-door coupes to choose from back then, and they came in all sizes. Nowadays you practically have to hunt for one. :(
Maybe that's one reason why we're so attached to the ones we have!

I will second that!! I love a two door sedan. The unique styling of the Monte does make it stand out among todays onslaught of 4 door cookie cutter sedans.:thumbsdown: or even worse the Crossovers:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:. There are some quality rides out there these days with nice giddy up under the hood but PLEASE bring back the 2 door sedan with individual styling! ie Montes, Thunderbirds, Chevelles...

Warhorse 02-05-2017 03:43 PM

Dig it, I hate 4 door cars, they are for old folks!

drivernumber3 02-05-2017 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sedan traditionally means a vehicle that has four-doors, while a coupe means a vehicle with two-doors. Sometimes pronounced coupé, the word derives from the French word for “cut.” Coupes were vehicles where the rear seats were cut out, creating a roomier front area and a sportier looking vehicle overall.
The Monte Carlo that we have has a post so it would be a traditional sedan but I think the Coupe fits also. Here are a couple of 64 chevys that are coupe and sedan with a post.

96z34man 02-06-2017 03:45 AM

Funny, my '96 had rear disc brakes. I would also like to point out that while the seats did lack anything resembling bolsters, that was the first car with seats comfortable enough for me to drive nonstop from my current home to Miami, a trip of just over 200 miles.

Sidestreet 02-06-2017 08:40 PM

Yes, 1995 was kind of unique in that both the LS and Z34 had the same front disc / rear drum brakes.

Personally, having rear drums doesn't bother me much, since it's the front brakes that handle more of the deceleration load on any car (which is why front discs are usually bigger / better than rear discs).