Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   AC Delco Oil Filters Suck Now!!! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/ac-delco-oil-filters-suck-now-16993/)

MAMONTE 11-06-2009 01:09 PM

AC Delco Oil Filters Suck Now!!!

I just changed the oil in my Monte, and like usual went to Wal-Mart to get my Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 5 quart jug, and an AC Delco Oil filter. NOT THIS TIME!

It used to be that the STP, AC Delco, Super-Tech (walmart brand), and a few others were all literally the exact same filter, just painted different color. Then about a year ago, I noticed the Super-Tech ones changed, and now had a thinner gasket, and the filter element was supported by a plastic grid instead of metal. Plus I could tell just by looking through the hole on the filter that the pleats in the filter were not evenly spaced. I did not think much of it though, I just thought to myself "oh well, its the generic one, Wal-Mart found a cheaper manufacture."

The rest of the name brands had continued to be the same....Well, when I pulled the AC Delco out of the box to check it out (I always do that before I buy it to make sure its not dented, etc.) I was very disappointed to see a Super-Tech replica painted blue. :( It was now the same filter as the Super-Tech, cheaply made, plastic, uneven pleates...So I checked and STP, samething! So apparently the manufacture that made all of these filters started producing lower quality filters, and now they all suck.

So this oil change was with a Fram Xtended Gaurd filter (the only good filter Fram makes), and the usual Mobil 1.

Just thought i'd let everyone know that the AC Delco oil filters are not as good as they used to be, nor is the Super-Tech, STP, and other brands by that manufacture.

ChibiBlackSheep 11-06-2009 01:11 PM

Might wanna just make a run and get a few K&N Oil Filters

MAMONTE 11-06-2009 01:20 PM

The following are good filters of the top of my head:

Mobil 1, K&N, Fram Xtended Guard, Amsoil, Purolator, Napa Gold, Wix, Bosch.

ChibiBlackSheep 11-06-2009 01:39 PM

I do the Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 combo.

Every 3,000 (I don't care what anyone says haha)

MAMONTE 11-06-2009 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep (Post 175107)
I do the Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 combo.

Every 3,000 (I don't care what anyone says haha)

WAY overkill :P But thats cool, better than not changing it enough! :D

RocknSS04 11-06-2009 04:57 PM

Agreed on the overkill, but agreed also that's better than UNDERKILL. (if that's possible with Mobil 1).

ChibiBlackSheep 11-06-2009 05:51 PM

It's gotten me to 165,000 with no problems... so it's earned its keep.

bumpin96monte 11-07-2009 07:36 PM

Odd, I just picked up a couple PF48's for my GXP and a couple PF47's for my 3800s, a couple days ago- and they looked like normal to me- maybe my Walmart still had old stock on the shelves?

expert1946 11-23-2009 10:12 PM

Makes me glad that we stocked up on filters at home -- and still have the "older models." Of course, when they run out -- we'll have to upgrade to the brands you've all recommended.

MAMONTE 11-24-2009 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 175333)
Odd, I just picked up a couple PF48's for my GXP and a couple PF47's for my 3800s, a couple days ago- and they looked like normal to me- maybe my Walmart still had old stock on the shelves?

Yea, i'm sure thats all it is. I went to Kragens the other day, and looked at their AC Delco's some of the one on the shelf were old style, and some were the new style.