Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   4th gen monte question "heat riser" (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/4th-gen-monte-question-heat-riser-59534/)

Jordanb5280 03-28-2018 09:37 PM

4th gen monte question "heat riser"

What so I installed straight pipes 2 cats about a month ago on my 84 ss. Engine is out of an 85ss same 305 don't think any real difference . the shop called and asked if it was ok to remove the heat riser. I said yes. But now I'm concerned because my emissions will be coming up . Is the heat riser an emission componet???

wht02monte 03-29-2018 08:28 AM

Your car is old enough to be exempt from emissions testing I believe..
Wait till someone can confirm this just to be sure tho..

Jordanb5280 03-29-2018 08:33 AM

Nope not in Denver. If I had no emissions man this car would have a 400 SBC headers . Denver emissions law is if it was made before 79 then it is exempt. But 80 on up is subject to emission testing every 2 years. Or 5 years with collector plates. My ss is a 84 . I know this cuz my 72 monte and my 66 Riviera are exempt.

ChibiBlackSheep 03-29-2018 09:07 AM

I don't know your local emission laws. Here in PA, as long as it doesn't "look" tampered with, it's fine. Do you have the part still?

Jordanb5280 03-29-2018 09:16 AM

Yeah I still have it not sure it even works though pretty rusted up . The visual test looks for catylatic converter and smog pump injection system. My question is does the heat riser have any effect on the other emission equipment?? this emission stuff has been a nightmare. Wen I bought my car the previous owner pulled all the emission equipment. So I bought a crate engine dropped it in. Unfortunately crate engines aren't eligible for emissions in my city . So I finally hunted down a 85 ss. Pulled the engine completely on tact emission equipment and all. Had trouble finding a new vacuum port switch . Ordered on Ebay. But now the engine is in and I realised the heat riser is sitting right here. Not sure it effects any emission components though.

ChibiBlackSheep 03-29-2018 09:25 AM

I feel like you'll be safe. I think the argument can go either way whether it's an emission part or not. I believe it's only function is to help the engine get to temp a little faster, but not all places will probably check for it.

Crazy how strict they are in your state. I know they are pretty strict in PA too, and my Monte would fail a PA inspection, but I keep it under 5,000 miles a year so it stays exempt.

Jordanb5280 03-29-2018 09:40 AM

I wish it was that way here I've had my monte 5 years n put close to 11000 miles on. It but the crate engine I just had to pull has only a about 8000 miles on it and can't even use it . To keep my car from emissions in the past I had it registered to Colorado springs there's no emissions there . Only problem is my friend who let me register it there is moving to Denver so now I'm forced to get it right . Thanks though I think I'll try run the emissions without it . If they say something il just install it . Appreciate the help 👍

ChibiBlackSheep 03-29-2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jordanb5280 (Post 710305)
I wish it was that way here I've had my monte 5 years n put close to 11000 miles on. It but the crate engine I just had to pull has only a about 8000 miles on it and can't even use it . To keep my car from emissions in the past I had it registered to Colorado springs there's no emissions there . Only problem is my friend who let me register it there is moving to Denver so now I'm forced to get it right . Thanks though I think I'll try run the emissions without it . If they say something il just install it . Appreciate the help 👍

If you have to install it, you can probably just drill it out and then it's there, but not functional haha

Jeffs02rwdSS 03-29-2018 09:28 PM

I'll throw my 2 cents in and maybe that will sway you 1 way or another. 1st your heat riser is to help your engine warm up when it's cold, after it warms up the heat riser is wide open. So if it's not there it's wide open , and when you take the test your engine is warm at operating temp so it's not needed at this point. You could gut it out and buy longer studs and put it back on or take test or see if they know about that 1 inch spacer between the exhaust manifold and pipe. Odds are they have no clue about it and will only look for the converter. What's worst they can do , tell you to put it on ?

Jordanb5280 03-29-2018 09:53 PM

Thats what I'm thinking. Even wen it was on there I think it was stuck wide open . I've never had an issue starting or getting car up to temp. And I live in Denver Co occasionally I do drive it in the snow just to have some fun and never have any issues warming up. I figure I'll run the sniffer test without it if needed I'll install it .