Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): 2004 Monte Carlo SS major oil leak (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/2004-monte-carlo-ss-major-oil-leak-60816/)

DamienWayne 05-25-2019 11:36 AM

2004 Monte Carlo SS major oil leak

Hey guys, I have a 2004 Monte SS supercharged and I just parked my car and noticed a major oil leak the next morning. The car still runs perfectly fine with oil in it no noises or anything. I haven't been able to look under the car but it seems like it is coming from the front side of the motor.
Any help I appreciated!
Thanks

bumpin96monte 05-25-2019 12:48 PM

No way anyone can definitively say online. Jack it up and take a look. Front main, front cover, oil filter, oil filter adapter, PS pump and fittings, oil pan gasket, etc.

DamienWayne 05-26-2019 04:36 PM

I just looked under the car and it doesn't look like it is coming from the main or oil pan gaskets. I was only asking if someone has had a similar issue.... Not for someone to diagnose my car online.

The_Maniac 05-26-2019 07:30 PM

Unfortunately, even if someone had a similar leak, it make have nothing in common with yours.
I know one item that is common to fail is the oil pressure sending unit. When it does fail, it can spray oil all over the place. But without actually taking a look, no way to say if that is your problem or not.

Jeffs02rwdSS 05-27-2019 08:01 AM

As Bumpin96monte stated , Jack it up and look. Should be pretty obvious if it's a major leak. Start up the engine and inspect the intake and valve cover for leaks. If it the front vavle cover you're in luck as it's covered by GM and they will replace it for free if it still has the old cover still on engine.

O-Five 05-27-2019 09:58 PM

You say it may be coming from the front. Do you mean by the radiator or the actual front with the pulleys and belts? If yes the pulley and belt side (passenger) is where you are seeing oil leaking from I would bet it is your oil sending unit. As mentioned this is a somewhat common item to fail and making a mess.

This You Tube video locates it for you.

bumpin96monte 05-28-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by DamienWayne (Post 717576)
I just looked under the car and it doesn't look like it is coming from the main or oil pan gaskets. I was only asking if someone has had a similar issue.... Not for someone to diagnose my car online.

Wasn't trying to be rude, there's are just so many possibilities from the valve cover gaskets up top down to the oil pan drain plug at the bottom that its impossible to guess. Given how old these engines are and potentially how much mileage could be on them, it's possible for just about any of them to be leaking heavily.

Old03SSDriver 06-10-2019 06:00 AM

Possible power steering lines?

There is a recall for valve cover gaskets.