Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   180* thermostat problem (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/180%2A-thermostat-problem-1684/)

batman 06-01-2006 05:33 PM

180* thermostat problem

hey guys just got my 180*t stat for the 3.4 and was wonderin, how the hell do i put this thing on? the housing is behind some metal plate that i cant take off and thats the only way i can access the thermostat, anyone with the 3.4 should know, please if anyone can help me im dyin to put this thing on!!!!

oh and what this setting the fans to the thermostat stuff, do i have to do that and how?

The Black Machine 29 06-02-2006 12:59 AM

RE: 180* thermostat problem

i would like to know the same thing... how do you put this stupid thing in...

montejass 06-02-2006 09:48 AM

I do not have a 3.4L, but if you could post some pics of what your talking about it may give us a better idea of your setup and a solution.

01pacecar 06-02-2006 01:04 PM

Go to autozone.com, on the left side click on repair info, in the center towards the top click on repair guide. I don't know what year MC you have but they show 92-96 3.4 thermostat removal and install.

toeknee94 06-05-2006 11:51 PM

T stat is a very fun job. The good news is that the lower bolt hole is sloted so you don't have to remove the bolt completly. i have had luck just removing the upper hose and taking the top bolt completly out and the lower almost all the way out. Some guys at work tak the throttle body off. Most of the time the intake manifold is leaking so i replace with the new updated intake gasket. It can be don't with out taking the throttle body or exhaust off just takes some time and cut hands.

batman 06-07-2006 08:37 PM

but what about that plate in front of the t stat housing? so your sayin just to remove the upper hose and the top bolt of the housing and ill get it in, btw thanks for your input man i was really hoping someone would help me out, dont you have to bleed the coolant system or something like that?

toeknee94 06-07-2006 11:01 PM

I am not sure what that plate you are talking about. The exhauset manifold heat sheld gets in the way but your can shimmy it out. This cooling system is very bad for air locking and the system need to be blead. Because the radiator cap is lower the the upper hose the system get air traped around coolant senosor causing air lock(over heating). To bleed the system, First opent he bleeder by the water pump(7mm or stright) fill till you get coolant out of the bleeder the close off. Next over the bleeder at t stat(7mm), fill till coolant comes out then block off, then top off. Run engine and open both bleeders every now and again till you get no air. If the engin temp does not go up in 15-20 min stut off then let cool down because the system is air locked. After cooled, repeat tell engine temp is correct. (might want to check the level the next morning)

batman 06-09-2006 05:52 PM

thank you sir i will try this as soon as i get a chance.