Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   07 Actuator help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/07-actuator-help-59856/)

bigmo421 06-21-2018 01:55 PM

07 Actuator help

So I have a 07 Monte with the 3.5. Anyways I understand there is 3? actuators in these Montes. I replaced the one close to the door(pita) couple months ago. It was clicking non stop. When I turn the temp to anywhere cold the other one starts tapping now.

The AC also blinks 6 times when I try to turn it on. I just roll my windows down but really I want to know if the two/three actuators are all the same part number/part. Not a huge deal that AC doesn't work the windows down work just fine for me. I found the AC Compressor fuse was blown then when I replaced it, the clicking/bomb sound would start when you turned it to cold instead of heat.

All in all, this one is easier to replace than the last one. The glovebox is not in the car from the last time and would take half hour to put another actuator in. I thought I seen the ones were the same part but couldn't find any info on it.

ChibiBlackSheep 06-21-2018 02:14 PM

Yes they are all the same part number. The driver's side slider has one, the passenger side slider has one, and the recirculation button has one.

The driver's side one is a huge PITA. The other 2 are easy. When you turn the driver's or passenger side to cold?

HurricaneSSman 06-21-2018 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 712273)
Yes they are all the same part number. The driver's side slider has one, the passenger side slider has one, and the recirculation button has one.

The driver's side one is a huge PITA. The other 2 are easy. When you turn the driver's or passenger side to cold?

They're easy if you have small hands. I replaced one of the other two. The one actually making the noise cost me the tool I was using to try to change it.

On the same subject, how is it that the thing still makes noise after you turn the car off? How is it getting current?

ChibiBlackSheep 06-21-2018 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by HurricaneSSman (Post 712276)
They're easy if you have small hands. I replaced one of the other two. The one actually making the noise cost me the tool I was using to try to change it.

On the same subject, how is it that the thing still makes noise after you turn the car off? How is it getting current?

It's trying to set itself back to its default position. Should only last about 30 seconds.

HurricaneSSman 06-21-2018 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 712278)
It's trying to set itself back to its default position. Should only last about 30 seconds.

Okay, but where is the current coming from? I know there's no capacitor in the part. Does the car actually give it a 24/7 trickle charge?

bumpin96monte 06-21-2018 09:18 PM

It's coming from the battery like normal. Just because you turned the car off doesnt mean power instantly shuts off to everything, especially in newer cars. The bcm will cut power to it once its done.

On a side note, those actuators are a terrible design. I went through 5 on my 08 Impala in 100k miles including OEM and aftermarket. For that far passenger side one, I forced the duct to the position I wanted it to stay at and just unplugged the connector. I had my fill of replacing them.

ChibiBlackSheep 06-25-2018 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 712284)
On a side note, those actuators are a terrible design. I went through 5 on my 08 Impala in 100k miles including OEM and aftermarket.

They really are. Thin, cheap, plastic gears shouldn't run something like that. I went with Dorman products, and just kept getting free ones. I got so used to changing them that it became like second nature.

The_Maniac 06-26-2018 10:06 PM

Wonder if someone has a plan for 3D printing replacement gears for them lol.
Or if anyone made more durable metal ones.

Unrelated Side Note (but relates to mis-use of plastic): when you see a winking 4th gen Firebird, it comes down to 1 of two problems. One being plastic/nylon gears that stripped out in the headlight motor (which I found a guy that sells metal replacements). The other problem is the plastic stop guide on the header panel broke off, when this happens, the headlight goes down and immediately back up. That header panel is a pain to replace because of all the crap you have to adjust (not just the headlight but the painted metal covers for the headlights), all to ensure that when the lights are down they don't rub the hood and appear flush and even.
Fun with plastic!!

HurricaneSSman 07-03-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 712432)
Wonder if someone has a plan for 3D printing replacement gears for them lol.
Or if anyone made more durable metal ones.

Unrelated Side Note (but relates to mis-use of plastic): when you see a winking 4th gen Firebird, it comes down to 1 of two problems. One being plastic/nylon gears that stripped out in the headlight motor (which I found a guy that sells metal replacements). The other problem is the plastic stop guide on the header panel broke off, when this happens, the headlight goes down and immediately back up. That header panel is a pain to replace because of all the crap you have to adjust (not just the headlight but the painted metal covers for the headlights), all to ensure that when the lights are down they don't rub the hood and appear flush and even.
Fun with plastic!!

Yeah, but all that plastic allows them to hit CAFE, without any actual engineering that might improve the efficiency of the engines.

​​It's the same philosophy that leads to the turbocharged four cylinders celebrated on another thread, and it leads to the same result: enriching mechanics and parts suppliers.